Triple orbitals, helpful?

Started by Imposter, October 06, 2013, 04:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imposter

I've been wondering how helpful it is to land multiple orbitals near the same location. Most of the time I would just stick to one in each area, but not sure that's the best strategy, so take a look at these scenarios, and let me know what you think is the best method to use.

1. You only have one viable landing site with barely enough room for 2 orbitals. Because of limited terrain and lots of elevation differences, you don't have a lot of room for additional buildings/weapons. Do you deploy both orbitals, or just one, and use the extra space for buildings?

2. You have only one viable landing zone, but it has tons of room and flat land. Do you go ahead and deploy all three orbitals, even though they will be essentially right next to each other?

Bonus question: What/is there an effective way to use the Forge's singularity weapon? Upgrades just seem a lot more useful to me than it does...

J

I always deploy all my CN's. Each one gives you 1.5 energy every second to start with. It is like building your base 3 times as fast. If you really need more room, send one back to orbit.
Bonus: The singularity only seems to be a decent option if the creeper is higher that 1000.

Imposter

Didn't realize you could send orbitals back up, that's helpful.

Locclo

The main use that I found for the singularity weapon is when you need to get up a cliff that's really close to an emitter. Put down a relay near the cliff, prepare your weapons (cannons, sprayers, whatever) then fire the singularity and hop up while the Creeper is stuck going towards it. If you've upgraded your packet speed enough (and have enough aether for a 20-25 second singularity) you can even get a fully built and charged nullifier before the singularity runs out.

Probably not the most efficient way to get over a cliff to take out an emitter, but to be honest I've never played this game with any kind of efficiency.

purpleyukari

Fun fact, orbitals can't die in creeper world 3.  If they reach 0 health it functions as a forced send to orbit.  Really helpful to know this if the map happens to start with lots of creeper.

Imposter

Nice, that's another one I didn't know. I got close to that happening once, and just floating my node out of there for fear of it exploding xP

Someone

Michionlion

"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Cavemaniac

Quote from: purpleyukari on October 06, 2013, 06:27:16 PM
Fun fact, orbitals can't die in creeper world 3.  If they reach 0 health it functions as a forced send to orbit.  Really helpful to know this if the map happens to start with lots of creeper.

And for a fun surprise, leave a Command Node in a pool of creeper with some Anti Creeper on board.

Wait.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Ligas

Quote from: Imposter on October 06, 2013, 04:39:00 PM

Bonus question: What/is there an effective way to use the Forge's singularity weapon? Upgrades just seem a lot more useful to me than it does...

I use the singularity and then have berthas fire at the singularity, it cuts down the creeper fast.

4xC

Can someone descrbe what makes the Singer (my nickname for the Forge's Singulariy Weapon) effective on Mistet?

Unless you save well over 100 Aether, I find it otherwise useless. For my taste, the totems do not speed up producton fast enough. I wish they would reach 2.00% within 10 minutes and stop speeding up then.
C,C,C,C

Neko187

Best use for the singularity weapon: Nullifying emitters. close 2nd: Making Bertha targets
Everything is too long a list to work with.
No one knows everything about anything.
No one knows something about everything.
Everyone knows something about something.
Anyone could be the world's foremost expert on something.
Anyone who thinks that just because they didn't already know a thing, it must not be true or important, is an idiot.
-OSC

teknotiss

Quote from: Neko187 on October 08, 2013, 02:07:57 PM
Best use for the singularity weapon: Nullifying emitters. close 2nd: Making Bertha targets
no you forgot ...
#1: concentrating a ton of C and using a conversion AoO on it!  ;D
then your options!  :D
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

iamted

Quote from: Locclo on October 06, 2013, 05:40:41 PM
... to be honest I've never played this game with any kind of efficiency.

whats this efficiency that you speak of?

i beat the stage you get the singularity on before i could get it to fire, so i never used it, guess its good to know what it does now.

Imposter

Quote from: teknotiss on October 08, 2013, 03:49:19 PM
Quote from: Neko187 on October 08, 2013, 02:07:57 PM
no you forgot ...
#1: concentrating a ton of C and using a conversion AoO on it!  ;D
then your options!  :D

Ah, good idea. Dunno how that one slipped my mind. Too busy thinking about the bertha destruction perhaps, haha.