Custom Map #8961: Volcano CSM Try 1. By: nathanaelps

Started by AutoPost, October 21, 2020, 12:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8961: Volcano CSM Try 1

Author: nathanaelps
Size: 132x99

Desc:
Really it's more of a CSM Volcano TEST, I'm not a great designer for this kind of thing... In fact, I'm painfully aware of how good Yum or Ralsaft or any of you guys who do the CSM things are. I've home-written all the scripts, including portals, portal blockers, and amplified height, as well as the volcanoes themselves. I'm pretty proud of them. But I also am aware that they could use some help... Constructive criticism is great. #volcanoCSM #amplifiedHeight #immortalVolcanoes #funWithPortals

chwooly

Overall, an interesting map.  Interesting graphics choices, reminded me of virus's. I wasn't sure how the shields worked since some of the "rocks" got thru and didn't change to AC. This was true when there was only 1 rock so don't think it was a result of too many rocks inside the shield.  I thought the lack of energy at the beginning was a little much, Maybe an energy crystal or going with cheaper reactors to help would have made it a little less of a drag.

Anyway, Thanks for taking the time to make this.

Cheers.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

yum-forum

Agree with chwooly. Interesting map. Shield not work so good as in RVC map was intended and energy totem will be wellcome. Also In RVC you can see at one glance difference between Green (friendly) and blue (creeper) stones from volcanoes.
But gameplay more close to CSM than in my maps! Big thanks for good work and hope you will create more maps!
10/10 from me and Good lu!  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Weasee

yes, an energy crystal at the start would be better. overall pretty good map, kudos for re-implementing those scripts.
Some possible bugs: 
Spoiler

* the enemy spores turned to "friendly" spores it seems before they hit the shield (maybe based on where they will land?) you can disable the shield after they are "friendly" and they stay friendly - maybe that is a feature ;-)
* Also, some friendly spores were attacked by beams, maybe related to enabling/disabling the shield
* The green portals didn't seem to transmit AC - were they supposed to?
* Why does the one red portal move? Didn't seem to be any use of that - terping down the place it stopped didn't allow it to move around more - that could be an interesting dynamic!
* Not sure which volcano had a special feature....  ;D
[close]

nathanaelps

Thanks guys for all the feedback!

...Oof, I'll have to go over the scripts again, there shouldn't be evil spores landing on the shields. So that's messed up. Lol.

And beams sure shouldn't be shooting down friendly rocks.

The moving portal was really just supposed to not take map space, but still be localized. I guess that was the easiest way that signalled that... Perhaps insufficiently! And it shouldn't have stopped at all.... Hm. Script time again!

The Green portals worked for me, but sure why they didn't for you, unless it was just a quiet trickle that you didn't notice?

And the secret volcano is there, just south of the Bertha tag that's even with the... Oof. It's just north west of the land bridge, and has quiet gold triangles spinning around it, if you look closely. It's beside the unaccountably higher ground. Man I'm bad at giving directions!

For colors, I was trying to match the creeper colors (blue/aqua...ish) is there an easier way to signal creep vs. ac?

Loren Pechtel

What's the white circle for?

And I'll join the others, too little energy at the start.

nathanaelps

White circle is a blocker! Can be used on portals or that one volcano.

Ligas

nathanaelps seems to be correct. The spores appear to become AC or stay Creeper depending on whether they will land inside or outside of the shield. If they land outside the shield even if they pass through it they stay as creeper rocks.

yum-forum

Quote from: Ligas on October 22, 2020, 05:11:34 AM
nathanaelps seems to be correct. The spores appear to become AC or stay Creeper depending on whether they will land inside or outside of the shield. If they land outside the shield even if they pass through it they stay as creeper rocks.

the same as in RVC
last

Ligas

Quote from: yum-forum on October 22, 2020, 05:26:30 AM
Quote from: Ligas on October 22, 2020, 05:11:34 AM

the same as in RVC
[/quote

Oh, I never noticed that in the RVC maps. The Creeper ones may be working as intended then. :)

yum-forum

I don't noticed Blocker (white) unit and played without it. Very nice and useful unit! But when I used it (played once more this game) for volcano unit it was working good. Then changed target to stargate and also it was good. But then it becames not possible to set target to volcanoes. Only fo stargates. Is this a bug?
last

Amram

Quote from: nathanaelps on October 21, 2020, 02:45:12 PM
For colors, I was trying to match the creeper colors (blue/aqua...ish) is there an easier way to signal creep vs. ac?

As someone who is colorblind - I literally cannot tell the default colors apart and have to change them.

If possible, match the spores to the current creeper colors, and not the defaults, as that way, if anyone, like myself, has changed the colors to be workable, you work with that as well.

yum-forum

last

nathanaelps

Quote from: yum-forum on October 23, 2020, 03:59:29 AM
I don't noticed Blocker (white) unit and played without it. Very nice and useful unit! But when I used it (played once more this game) for volcano unit it was working good. Then changed target to stargate and also it was good. But then it becames not possible to set target to volcanoes. Only fo stargates. Is this a bug?

Oh, dang Yum, you found the *only* volcano that's blockable, first try! I should probably either make more volcanoes blockable or none... the feature dissonance is not beneficial, I don't think.

Johnny Haywire

I thought this was a pretty cool map, and the first thing I did was to destroy the shield. Shields are for wimps and people who need anesthetics for simple operations like having a cavity drilled. Shield draining your power? Just destroy the shield and learn to flex a bit... those rocks will bounce right off ya.

Actually, the base has enough AC production to offset the rocks that are thrown your way so just build a beam and a couple reactors and start expanding whenever you're ready.

I'm not too concerned with how things appear visually - how things function is much more important to me - but in this map I really thought everything looked very cool. The rocks were simple & functional and the gates and emitters looked kinda alien. And the entire map played very smoothly.

I think it would be extra-cool to emphasize the CSM/Volcano aspect by adding some upgrades to the emitters / rock shooters, and maybe reduce the number of weapons available. As-is, the weapons are almost entirely unneeded (except for the beams).

This is a cool map idea and I think it has a good bit of potential to be even better - please keep churning out the ideas!

Thanks for the map!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?