[CW3] Maximum zoom level is smaller in 4K than in normal resolution

Started by Geeknificent, April 16, 2018, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeknificent

Picture example here: Maximum zoom level at 4k

I am having an issue where in the picture above is the maximum that i can zoom into maps in creeper world 3
I cant use a smaller resolution in full screen because it messes up the resolution of other aplications and icons upon exit making them illegible.
and I cant use a smaller resolution in windowed mode because then the game becomes illegible.
is there a way to alter the game files so that I can increase the max zoom in the game?

knucracker

There are two parts to the game display; the game world (the map, units, etc), and the GUI (the button bar, menus, etc).  The GUI elements in CW3 are not scale-able (they are in Particle Fleet).  So there is no way to make them larger within the game itself.  I read on discord that you indicate they are fine, though (congrats on either a really large monitor or excellent eyesight :) )

The game world does support scaling, and folks use this during gameplay.  It scales from 0.5x to 2x (if memory serves).  At a native 4k monitor resolution, 2x game zoom will produce a game world that is the same dot pitch as 1x game zoom on a '1k' monitor (1920x1080).

So, I think that is the effect you are seeing.  You'd like the game to allow 0.5x to say 4x zoom so that you can achieve the same as a 2x zoom on a 1k monitor.  The short answer is there is no way in-game to do that directly. The game is, I would offer, perfectly playable at 1x, or the (1x equivalent of 2x on 4k).  But, no you can't flip a setting in game to allow zoom down to 4x.

Now the normal way this would be handled would be to run the game at 1k resolution and full screen (actual full screen in the settings, not just a maximized window).  This would drive your monitor at 1920x1080 and everything would be 2x the dot pitch, and twice the size.  But, you report having difficulty when exiting full screen... so that's what I want to focus on.

In a quick test, and I don't see the problem you are reporting.  I can run my 2k monitor at say 1024x768 and upon exit my desktop is fine.  Nothing is moved around or resized.  So, what OS are you running? And if on windows what GPU do you have (and the normal... how long has it been since you updated your gpu drivers...).

If you are on windows with recent GPU drivers and a GPU made in the last 5 years or so, then we might need to look for other differences.  How many monitors do you have, are there any other graphical apps running on your system at the same time (anything from Fraps/screen capture software, to some Adobe tools), etc. ? 

There is also the variable of the steam version (or not) and the steam overlay.  If on steam, disable the steam overlay and see if that has any effect when exiting from fullscreen at a lower resolution.  And lastly, there are two versions of CW3.  Each was built with a different version of the Unity engine.  If on steam you can switch between them by right clicking the game in the steam client, going to Properties, then the Betas tab.  Choose between "None" and "version208" on the beta page to try the different versions.

Geeknificent

Quote from: virgilw on April 17, 2018, 09:51:12 AM
There are two parts to the game display; the game world (the map, units, etc), and the GUI (the button bar, menus, etc).  The GUI elements in CW3 are not scale-able (they are in Particle Fleet).  So there is no way to make them larger within the game itself.  I read on discord that you indicate they are fine, though (congrats on either a really large monitor or excellent eyesight :) )

The game world does support scaling, and folks use this during gameplay.  It scales from 0.5x to 2x (if memory serves).  At a native 4k monitor resolution, 2x game zoom will produce a game world that is the same dot pitch as 1x game zoom on a '1k' monitor (1920x1080).

So, I think that is the effect you are seeing.  You'd like the game to allow 0.5x to say 4x zoom so that you can achieve the same as a 2x zoom on a 1k monitor.  The short answer is there is no way in-game to do that directly. The game is, I would offer, perfectly playable at 1x, or the (1x equivalent of 2x on 4k).  But, no you can't flip a setting in game to allow zoom down to 4x.

Now the normal way this would be handled would be to run the game at 1k resolution and full screen (actual full screen in the settings, not just a maximized window).  This would drive your monitor at 1920x1080 and everything would be 2x the dot pitch, and twice the size.  But, you report having difficulty when exiting full screen... so that's what I want to focus on.

In a quick test, and I don't see the problem you are reporting.  I can run my 2k monitor at say 1024x768 and upon exit my desktop is fine.  Nothing is moved around or resized.  So, what OS are you running? And if on windows what GPU do you have (and the normal... how long has it been since you updated your gpu drivers...).

If you are on windows with recent GPU drivers and a GPU made in the last 5 years or so, then we might need to look for other differences.  How many monitors do you have, are there any other graphical apps running on your system at the same time (anything from Fraps/screen capture software, to some Adobe tools), etc. ? 

There is also the variable of the steam version (or not) and the steam overlay.  If on steam, disable the steam overlay and see if that has any effect when exiting from fullscreen at a lower resolution.  And lastly, there are two versions of CW3.  Each was built with a different version of the Unity engine.  If on steam you can switch between them by right clicking the game in the steam client, going to Properties, then the Betas tab.  Choose between "None" and "version208" on the beta page to try the different versions.

I did not ask for an ingame setting I asked for a way to adjust the game files to allow for a bigger zoom.

and the resolution error only happens for 4K because its still a relatively new format.

I am not using steam to run the game

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise build 1703

knucracker

For non steam this is the version of CW3 built with a different version of unity:
http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld3/dd_webb/CreeperWorld3-208.exe

Version 212, which is what you should have already, can be obtained from here: http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld3/redownload.php

At some point this year, the game will likely be rebuilt with the 2017.4 LTS version of unity.  So if neither version 208 or 212 makes a difference (and you only see a problem when exiting full screen when running at 4k), then perhaps that later version of unity will help.