Typo on the Custom Maps Page

Started by invadermik, November 24, 2010, 05:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

invadermik

Hi,
This has been bugging me for a while. On the custom maps page it currently says:
QuoteFour Random Maps to "wet" your interest
The use of the word "wet" is a typo. The proper use of the phrase is to "whet one's interest".
Dictionary.com defines "to whet" as:
Quote–verb (used with object)
1.to sharpen (a knife, tool, etc.) by grinding or friction.
2.to make keen or eager; stimulate: to whet the appetite; to whet the curiosity.
In this case, the second definition would be the one that we are referring to.
Please, somebody, do this simple fix! It bugs me every time!

L'ythelle

It's not a typo. It's a pun.

Creeper is "wet."

Kamron3

Quote from: invadermik on November 24, 2010, 05:49:11 PM
Hi,
This has been bugging me for a while. On the custom maps page it currently says:
QuoteFour Random Maps to "wet" your interest
The use of the word "wet" is a typo. The proper use of the phrase is to "whet one's interest".
Dictionary.com defines "to whet" as:
Quote–verb (used with object)
1.to sharpen (a knife, tool, etc.) by grinding or friction.
2.to make keen or eager; stimulate: to whet the appetite; to whet the curiosity.
In this case, the second definition would be the one that we are referring to.
Please, somebody, do this simple fix! It bugs me every time!

HI BILLY MAYS HERE WITH A DICTIONARY AND A GRAMMAR BOOK.
HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TOLD PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD USE A DICTIONARY AND GO READ A GRAMMAR BOOK?
WELL NOW YOU CAN WITH THE AWESOMEBEWK IT HAS A DICTIONARY IN THE FRONT AND A GRAMMAR BOOK IN THE BACK.

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

invadermik

Huh. The pun really didn't work on me. Oh well, he can write whatever he wants to; he does good work.

knucracker

Yeah, doesn't really work for me either to be honest :)  It was one of those things that sounded cute at the time, but gets worse with age.

I think it's run it's course so I've changed it (probably the easiest fix I've made today).

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on November 24, 2010, 11:18:45 PM
Yeah, doesn't really work for me either to be honest :)  It was one of those things that sounded cute at the time, but gets worse with age.

I think it's run it's course so I've changed it (probably the easiest fix I've made today).

I never thought it worked, but I didn't say anything!  :D

Blaze