Previous topic - Next topic

F0R

Kithros

Quote from: F0R on October 01, 2011, 10:37:01 PM
team A is impossible
Not impossible:

Spoiler
[close]
Built 3 conversion bombs without taking white gem (was very tempting to take it - I think if one were playing for time it would be better to take it, but it makes the map much more tedious to manage)

Spoiler
[close]

Moved my LS into the cavern, shielded the emitter in and nullified it, then built another conversion bomb to deal with the leftover creeper building more shields as necessary.

Spoiler
[close]

Not how I would actually play through it, but just to prove that it's possible - easy enough to set up a dark beam and get enough energy production for it now. Wasn't really doing anything precise at this point since I don't really play through experimental maps fully.

hapes

Oddly enough, I am finding today's map impossible on Medium/Medium.  Drones spawn too quickly to build defenses or power.

Code:  October 4, 2011

Maybe it's just coz I suck, though.

Lord_Farin

I just beat it.

Spoiler
Make sure, when moving to the position in the attached screenshot, that you move horizontally first. This saves a lot of energy one needs to grab the white gem in time. From the posted position, it is straightforward. I took the effort to post a time, also.
[close]
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Grauniad

Quote from: hapes on October 03, 2011, 02:15:14 AM
Oddly enough, I am finding today's map impossible on Medium/Medium.  Drones spawn too quickly to build defenses or power.

Code:  October 4, 2011

Maybe it's just coz I suck, though.

I solved this slightly differently. I went right, dug out the green gem and immediately built 3 blasters. With careful management, they were enough to keep the drones at bay while I dug myself in underground, and then built reactors etc. on the far right. Also had to build (and carefully position) first one and then two Coils. When I got my 4th blaster built, I was all set and the battle was over.

Was really fun in the early stages and I restarted about 5 times before I had it pat. After that I gave up, since the rest was fairly routine.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Paletz

Quote from: Lord_Farin on August 19, 2011, 09:52:40 AM
The incredibly hard July 5, 2011 L/H has surrendered to me.
At 28:04 game time (!), I was able to get up my DB with enough energy; this can probably be improved upon.
I used different strategy, apparently inferior :]

It took me about 45 minutes to clear top two emitters. I couldn't get enough energy for continuous DB, but beam uptime was sufficient to keep dark mirrors from breaking.
Spoiler

I digged up the white crystal, that was no-brainer.

Then I made a huge shield wall before building reactor farm. I had to rebuild it once or twice.

Once I had a reactor in every possible spot, I rebuilt the wall again, but this time with repulsors.

I replaced lowermost repulsor with dark beam, I had to fire short burst every 2 seconds or less from that point on. But it held creeper density in check. So I stopped conversion bombing. I slowly pushed the repulsor wall forward to gain precious space for reactors while about 8 tech domes slowly maxed reactor output. This got me 11.17 energy :] Then I replaced repulsor wall with double dark beam wall, creeper wouldn't advance past second beam during interruptions and mirrors repaired themselves fast enough.
[close]

Yinan

how about Phantom of the Opera Yehaaaaaaaaaaa large/high, might be possible seeing the last post but couldn't beat it at all -.- (always lost within the first 3 minutes)

Paletz

Quote from: Yinan on October 06, 2011, 10:21:49 AM
how about Phantom of the Opera Yehaaaaaaaaaaa large/high, might be possible seeing the last post but couldn't beat it at all -.- (always lost within the first 3 minutes)
Possible.
Spoiler

Create shield wall as far as possible. I built three blocks to buy time to excavate the gem.

Build economy while rebuilding shield wall.

Switch to repulsors. I used a launcher keep creeper density manageable by short repulsor beams. Medium repulsor beams could be better solution here :]

Expand economy, use conversion bombs to keep creeper density in check.

The green gem near emitter hole is reachable too and I didn't need the red gem to secure my position, both could tip the scales in your favor :]
[close]

Kithros

I took a much more direct approach and just went straight for dark beam. Very sloppy reactor placement and play in general after the first 30 seconds or so, but it worked out well enough.

Spoiler
[close]

Grauniad

Quote from: Kithros on October 06, 2011, 07:59:51 PM
I took a much more direct approach and just went straight for dark beam. Very sloppy reactor placement and play in general after the first 30 seconds or so, but it worked out well enough.

It always amaze me how you manage to erect those "wall-o'-shields"  :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

CobraKill

Quote from: Grauniad on October 06, 2011, 10:11:18 PM
Quote from: Kithros on October 06, 2011, 07:59:51 PM

It always amaze me how you manage to erect those "wall-o'-shields"  :)

It amazes me how good he is. :P
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Paletz

Quote from: wlf on August 18, 2011, 01:08:07 AM
look farm way any/med & any/high

Brutal
large/high - possible but, as you said, brutal :]

Spoiler

I managed to dig in while building shields and single blaster (drones only). This bought me some time to dig up white gem, build some reactor and repulsors. Then I could create some more reactors before setting up defenses around bottom breach. Then I build more reactors, while preping two conversion bombs, because creeper density would be unmanageable sooner than I could finish dark beam. As you can see on the picture, I had to quickly mirror dark beam to cut of both top and bottom breach :]
[close]

Kithros

I have finally managed to beat the absurdly difficult qwertyuiopasdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,. large/high

I started out by taking the green gem and flying the LS straight down through the emitter. I then dug out 4 cells from the right wall and flew down there, and into the cave at the bottom-right. I let the drones out pre-emptively from a path at the bottom, and once all the drones had started pathing to the LS I finished building a shield in front of the medium decayable terrain where the creeper hits it on 2 sides (this step is very important - I had to make sure the drones would get inside of that cave fast enough that I could build shields to block the creeper off after the drones follow the LS).

Spoiler
[close]

I start using LS drone evasion on the high health drones - but the small drones up top will take too long to reach the LS so I can't use it on them or the creeper will flood the chamber I'm in - so I built 3 reactors, and a bunch of shields to wall the creeper and drones, and start nullifying the gateway. Some of the drones crashed into the shields before the nullifier finished, and the gateway sent out 4 drones - one of these drones targetted my LS so I could just use drone evasion on that one, and I crashed the LS into the other 3 drones leaving my LS at 0.69 health to protect my other buildings (you can avoid this by building fewer reactors - but you will very desperately need the extra energy income for the next few minutes)

Spoiler
[close]

Originally I thought I would need to dig the LS down further, so I was placing reactors with that in mind - it turns out I never needed to dig the LS further down so there is some room for improvement in the way I played through this part - I pretty much waited as long as possible before building shields every time so I could build more reactors, and sometimes built shields in front of my other shields if the fields allow for it to make some more room - this only happens at the top, on the right the creeper is far too dense for the fields to push it back significantly (there are 3 emitters just to the right of you each at about 150M intensity if you hadn't noticed). I built a single phantom coil to stop the phantoms, and deactivated it just as the last phantom died - I did not have a single packet of energy extra sent to the phantom coil - I was saving as much as I possibly could for reactors. You have to spend almost all of your energy defending at this point, and it's important to get reactors running as fast as you can, because you'll eventually run out of space for shields.

Spoiler
[close]

From here I bjuild up and finally have enough energy production that I can consistently build more reactors while rebuilding shields - I finally built a dark beam and enough reactors to power it - I would like to point out that if I had to move the shields a single space further to the left, that I would no longer have enough space for the LS to evade the drones indefinitely.

Spoiler
[close]

With some carefully timed movements, I put all my mirrors in place to protect all my buildings and the decayable terrain on both sides of me, and finally killed off the drones and put the beam in position to kill any future drones. From here it's a simple experimental map to build up and kill off the emitters.

Spoiler
[close]

This is easily the most difficult map I've ever beaten - if anyone feels insane, then feel free to try this map (my 5 and a half minutes of game time took me several hours to get to work)

Fisherck

You never fail to impress me. Letting the drones out early was ingenious. I'm not sure how one could come to that conclusion rationally; but it worked...;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Kholim

Is this thread still open for discussion?

I'd like to submit apple know floor.

The good news is:  No phantoms, no surface drones.

The bad news is:  15m emitter three squares from the surface, right in the middle.  The diggable area to the left is overrun within 7 seconds.

You cannot shield the emitter into its chasm.

There is an ore deposit three squares from the right side, preventing you from digging any further away from the emitter, and even if you dig down past it you will run into breakable terrain with another emitter underneath it.

But that's all assuming you can even dig.  To gain even the illusion of a foothold, you must build a shield wall in the aforementioned 7 seconds.  If you build the wall 4 shields high, you have no energy to dig.  If you build the wall 3 shields high, you have energy to dig a hole the exact size of the LS.  In both cases, the 0g just makes the creeper wrap right around the shield anyway.

There is also a blue crystal 5 squares into the ground, but did I mention the strength of this emitter?  The creeper travels across the map as fast as your LS does.

There is a digabble area to the right you can sort of squeeze into, but even if you were able to make the necessary defenses, you're left with about 4 squares of usable space.

So maybe I've found a map that is, in fact, impossible.