Custom Map #386: MotC [02]: First Mission

Started by AutoPost, October 28, 2011, 09:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #386: MotC [02]: First Mission

Author: yui56

Desc:
Masters of the Creeper Episode 2 - After receiving a distress beacon from another command ship in trouble, Varro is sent to launch a rescue.

Echo51

Neat map, does get a bit tedious to funnel all that AC around after a while tho.
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Submerged06

I don't think I was supposed to, but it's a fun map to actually beat the emitters on as well :D.  It's a bit of a balancing act -- if you like long-term strategy, then this is "fun" instead of "tedious".  Haha.  I liked it, anyhow.

How I did it:
Spoiler

BEGINNING:
- At first, just let the top emitter spill out over the top in general (just delete the bottom shield containing it)
- Use the initial energy to start carving out the bottom and building energy.
- Once the bottom starts getting dangerous (and the 2 blasters can't handle it), build a Maker on top to collect some AC and build one on the bottom to spread it (make sure to block off behind the bottom one with shields so as to focus the AC)
- Continue digging and building up energy (and, of course, defend against the Phantoms)

MIDDLE:
- By now, the top should be mostly AC.  I re-sealed the emitter with a single Maker set to collect the AC (it can output around 20).
- Seal the small area where Creeper comes through on top and put in 4 Makers (all set to output at 4x).
      -  This should be enough to hold back the creeper

At this point, everything should be at a relative standstill.  Use as much time as you need to fill out energy and Tech across the entire map (you might not need all of it, if you're going for a time/score, but I'm OCD and did the whole thing).  Make sure to at least fully upgrade the blaster's firing rate.

END:
To actually defeat the Creeper, do the same procedure to each emitter:
- Find a space next to the emitter with a wall (for the bottom emitter, the 3-4 spaces directly beneath it; for the top, one space directly upward).
            - For the bottom, you may want to build an extra few shields to give the repulsers time to kick in before the creeper shoots sideways and into your camp.
- Build a line of repulsers 3 or 4 tall (at the bottom, this means you'll have 16 or so; at the top, one line of 4 or 5 for each emitter).
- Destroy that section of wall; the repulsers should push the creeper far enough to lay a nullifier.
- Once the emitters gone (both emitters, for the top), then just slowly keep pushing out AC and letting your two (upgraded) blasters clear out the remainder.
[close]

Like I said, it was a bit tedious (and I'm sure there's a more effective way) -- but, I had to figure it out as I went and adjust.  So it was actually a fun tedious, not a "I know what to do exactly but it's gonna take an hour" kind of tedious.  Props on the map :).

yui56

Quote from: Submerged06 on October 30, 2011, 06:31:52 AM
I don't think I was supposed to, but it's a fun map to actually beat the emitters on as well :D.

This one turned out quite a bit harder than I intended.  It wasn't until I started to play it for a score that I realized the imbalance between your own emitter and the other ones made the thought of actually shutting off the emitters very difficult to do.  I ended up not bothering, but might try again, since you were able to do it.

The way I played it, it became a game of inches, with me trying to find a way to squeeze "just one more repulsor" in there to push the creeper aside just long enough to steal the artifacts from under it then run away.  I was probably 2-4 minutes away from being completely overrun by the time I got the last one.

Katra

I too ended up killing all the emitters.  ;)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!