Top 30 most challenging CS maps

Started by Tyler21, May 19, 2015, 04:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler21

After playing I2edI3aron's latest map 'U283' (#2083) I had the idea to collect the most challenging maps ever made in Colonial Space. The list might be interesting for players who seek extreme challenge but haven't found / played these maps so far.

Although it has some limitations I think the score / download ratio is still the best way to determine the difficulty of a map quantitatively. Below you can find the list of CS maps that have a completion ratio lower than 5.1%* and that have at least 100 downloads. You can see the number of posted scores, downloads and the ratio in the brackets.
(*if you see a higher ratio, it was achieved after 19/05/2015)

Note that these are the raw statistics. Because some scores are obviously achieved by cheating (for example most scores by pajajezek), some maps are actually even more difficult than the list suggests... If someone is willing to do it, it would be nice to remove all suspicious scores from these maps.

Feel free to add your comments and suggestions to this list.

Most challenging maps in CS

Rank / map name / map ID / author (scores / downloads / completion ratio). Click on spoiler to read a short description and my subjective review of difficulty (1= more challenging than 95% of all maps, but can be solved with the regular strategies, 2= extremely challenging and requires a special strategy, 3= insanely difficult and requires combination of multiple strategies, 4= virtually impossible, only a few will ever make it...).

• A moving target (#761) by warren (3 / 235 / 1.3%)
    Spoiler
    Description: you have to nullify a single emitter. Sounds easy, right? Well, the emitter is moving and there are giant wrecking balls in front of it that destroy every unit, so you have to rebuild and move your base constantly. Superior micromanagement is required, even though some buildings are cheaper and there are lots of resources around the map. Difficulty: 4
    [close]

• MirrorImage [easy version]   (#299) by stewbasic (5 / 281 / 1.8%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a clever CRPL map where you have to multimanage two bases and completely balance your stategy. You aren't really in danger but if you nullify too many emitters you may actually never finish the map. In contrast to the original map you can speedrun this version. Difficulty: 2
    [close]

• Rocket (#88) by ThirdParty (8 / 400 / 2.0%)
    Spoiler
    Description: the most challenging micro puzzle map where you have optimize almost every single packet. You have to think multiple steps ahead in order to win. Difficulty: 4
    [close]

• Pool (#486) by I2edI3aron (8 / 389 / 2.1%)
    Spoiler
    Description: level 2000 creeper on the whole map. That tells everything. Insanely difficult energy and AOO management. Difficulty: 4
    [close]

• An easy target (#523) by warren (5 / 216 / 2.3%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a very challenging CRPL map with dynamic enemies. Uphill battle and spore waves are increasing every minute. Special events occur if you nullify emitters that make the map even more challenging. Difficulty: 3 
    [close]

• The Doomsday Device (#1914) by Tyler (9 / 327 / 2.8%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a timed large puzzle map where you have to figure out the right order of actions. Difficulty: 3
    [close]

• MirrorImage (#250) by stewbasic (7 / 253 / 2.8%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a clever CRPL map where you have to multimanage two bases and completely balance your stategy. You aren't really in danger but if you nullify too many emitters you may actually never finish the map. Difficulty: 3
    [close]

• Fontane Castle (#1222) by warren (5 / 178 /   2.8%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a classic tower defense with swarming custom enemies. The brutal lag is the most challenging factor here. Difficulty: 2
    [close]

• Twin Peaks Castle (#1266) by warren (3 / 104 /   2.9%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a classic tower defense with swarming custom enemies. This one is the final and most difficult Battle Castle map where the enemy overwhelms your base very quickly. Even if you manage to nullify several enemy camps at the start, you have to give up one castle. Difficulty: 3
    [close]

• FTL Final Battle   (#331) by MulaluMichael   (8 / 264 / 3.0%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a nicely designed vanilla map with a difficult terrain (no terps). The start is really tough but if you are settled, it's not that challenging, especially if you manage to destroy the AET in the beginning. Difficulty: 1
    [close]

• Pocket (#173) by ThirdParty (19 / 512 / 3.7%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a long and challenging micro puzzle where you have to optimize energy and space. Difficulty: 3
    [close]

• DeFuse (#478) by EddyPro (8 / 211 / 3.8%)
    Spoiler
    Description: no units except for relays, terps and reactors, but there is no creeper. This is a race against the clock: you can win only if you plan your terraforming very wisely in advance. Difficulty: 2
    [close]

• Sacrifice (#1939) by Bill Kress (5 / 129 /   3.9%)
    Spoiler
    Description: tons of resources but you have no collectors and reactors are extremely expensive. Hardcore micromanagement skills are required. Difficulty: 4
    [close]

• Pass the map 2 (#212) by Community (18 / 436 / 4.1%)
    Spoiler
    Description: custom railwalkers and turrets. In addition, there are little drones that 'repair' rails so the 'terraforming one cell of the rail' strategy doesn't really work here. If you manage to save the Forge in the beginning, and nullify some emitters, it's a cakewalk. Difficulty: 1
    [close]

• 4th times a charm (#1876) by Doogie (7 / 166 / 4.2%)
    Spoiler
    Description: extremely frustrating map where you will have to rebuild your base several times because there are four custom CRPL enemies that can destroy your assets in no time but you do not know anything about their behavior before experiencing it. The map is not difficult if you know what those enemies actually do, otherwise it's really painful and is only recommended for masochistic players. Difficulty: 1 (Frustration: 4)
    [close]

• Normandie-2 (#238) by First (8 / 185 / 4.3%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a timed 'storm the beach' type map with a difficult terrain and lots of creeper. You have plenty of starting assets, including a PZ bertha that can make your landing more convenient. Difficulty: 2
    [close]

• Armies (#449) by I2edI3aron (7 / 159 / 4.4%)
    Spoiler
    Description: enormous AMTs, lots of runners, digi and a custom spore tower that alternates between AC and C (you can't target them with beams). Difficulty: 3
    [close]

• U283 (#2083) by I2edI3aron (5 / 113 / 4.4%)
    Spoiler
    Description: including a strong wind, there is plenty of space to build and no threat in the beginning. However, you will quickly realize that this is an insanely difficult energy management map and most probably you have to start again with a new strategy. And again and again. Difficulty: 4
    [close]

• Racquet (#50) by ThirdParty (19 / 427 / 4.4%)
    Spoiler
    Description: similarly to Rocket, you have to plan your moves in advance. Although the optimal strategy is not that complex, this map is still extremely challenging. Difficulty: 3
    [close]

• Riven Castle (#1205) by warren (9 / 199 / 4.5%)
    Spoiler
    Description: the 'easiest' Battle Castle map (not counting Tutor Castle) with a cool AC river that helps you against swarming enemies. Lag is not a serious issue here. Difficulty: 1
    [close]

• Amrakul (#60) by Clean0nion (18 / 398 / 4.5%)
    Spoiler
    Description: this is a rather annoying map as you don't see anything but a big empty whiteness and the close vicinity of CNs. The map itself is not challenging but this limited visibility makes it hardly beatable. Difficult: 1 (the map itself), 3 (including visibilty)
    [close]

• Trenched In (1.4) (#1124) by Jaxome (7 /  144 / 4.9%)
    Spoiler
    Description: it seems impossible at the beginning but once you realize that digi can't spread to your base that easily, you can relax. You have to build a decent defense quickly, though. Difficulty: 1
    [close]

• The bowl (#1130) by warren (5 / 102 / 4.9% )
    Spoiler
    Description: based on 3P's micro puzzle maps but with a custom CRPL enemy that acts as an emitter, runner nest and spore tower. In addition, uphill battle and difficult terrain. Timing is essential, you have to carefully manage every packet you produce. Difficulty: 3
    [close]

• Turkos Prime (#1173) by planetfall (14 / 279 /   5.0%)
    Spoiler
    Description: an amazing piece of CRPL including custom enemies, custom units, and a totally custom gameplay. You are playing a completely different game. Difficulty: 3
    [close]

• Bombardment (#586) by Potato (8 / 150 / 5.3%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a quick vanilla race against the clock, it is mostly about energy management. Difficulty: 1
    [close]

• La la la la. Weaponry! (#1517) by planetfall (14 / 261 / 5.4%)
    Spoiler
    Description: an amazing piece of CRPL including custom enemies, custom units, and a totally custom gameplay. You are playing a completely different game. Difficulty: 2
    [close]

• Heavyworlder Impossible (#1121) by warren (8/ 144 / 5.6%)
    Spoiler
    Description: there is absolutely no threat until 5:17. But then, you find yourself enclosed with an AMT2000 emitter. Brutal energy management and advance planning is required. Difficulty: 3
    [close]

• Dog (#610) by Wander (6 / 107 / 5.6%)
    Spoiler
    Description: a cute doggie at first sight but then it turns into a struggle for survival. You have to manage energy very carefully. Devastating spore waves, enormous AMTs and huge distances to cover. If you manage to destroy the spore tower, you are settled. Difficulty: 2
    [close]

+ 3 maps that have less than 100 downloads but are worth to mention                              

Spin (#955) by Eketek (1 / 89 / 1.1%)
Spoiler
Description: despite being fairly 'old', this is the only map in the whole Colonial Space that is still unbeated (not counting its author). The reason: the terrain is continuously changing, making it impossible to settle a base... Difficulty: 4
[close]

Demon's Candy (#1712) by ShizuokaJPN (3 / 78 / 3.8%)
Spoiler
Description: one of the most difficult vanilla maps ever designed (not counting the micro map puzzles). Extremely difficult terrain, massive spore waves and sparse resources: a truly evil combination. This will haunt you in your nightmares. Difficulty: 3
[close]

AC Assault (#1511) by Dp (6 / 92 / 6.5%)
Spoiler
Description: difficult terrain, incoming spore waves and the lack of energy weapons make this map a very challenging one. Difficulty: 2
[close]

*** Statistics last updated: May 24, 2015 **

Some interesting facts:

• warren is the most productive author when it comes to extreme challenges (7 maps)

• If we consider only vanilla maps then ThirdParty's Rocket is the most challenging one

• stewbasic's MirrorImage [easy version] has actually a lower completion ratio than the original map.
"Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act."
― Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Check my collection of the 30 most difficult and challenging maps in Colonial Space!

RrR

I'm not surprised than no-one has finished spin. It is a hard map as the terrain moves, destroying units as it goes. The emitters are fairly weak, but there are threads of digitalis all over the place. If you loose a CN, it takes a minute to get it back from orbit.

There may be a cunning feature that I didn't notice, like a slower rate of terrain movement near the centre which makes the map possible.

Asbestos

MirrorImage [easy version] is probably a bit easier than the original, but since most of the good players who can beat it played the hard version and the [easy version] attracts newbies who still can't beat it, it looks harder.

J

Simply making a hard map won't get you in that list, you need a way to get a lot of downloads.

Tyler21

Quote from: J on May 20, 2015, 02:34:33 AM
Simply making a hard map won't get you in that list, you need a way to get a lot of downloads.

True, there is a tendency that people download vanilla, small and quick maps more likely compared to crpl, large and time consuming maps, all else being equal (this is purely observational, I don't have any data on this). So it is more likely that you will end up in this list if you design a quick and small but challenging map compared to a long and elaborate crpl fight. Anyways, if you make it extremely difficult, you will end up in this list (large and 1+ hour maps are well represented too).

Quote from: Asbestos on May 19, 2015, 07:04:12 PM
MirrorImage [easy version] is probably a bit easier than the original, but since most of the good players who can beat it played the hard version and the [easy version] attracts newbies who still can't beat it, it looks harder.

I completed the "easy" version in both ways (standard + speedrun), haven't completed the "hard" version but it seems that there is no way to speedrun there (the Forge starts to mirror faster). Apart from that I don't see why it would be more difficult. Maybe it takes more time because of the increased emitter AMTs, but emitters are not the main issue on these maps :) Anyways, both are among the most challenging ones I have ever played and have a very cool concept.
"Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act."

Check my collection of the 30 most difficult and challenging maps in Colonial Space!

D0m0nik

Really loving this list, it is a humbling experience but also great to find some amazing maps I have missed out on.

Just spent a while on 'spin' and nullified quite a lot but eventually the creep just got too much to deal with due to limited resources. Quite a challenge!

D0m0nik

Just completed Spin after numerous attempts, what a nightmare but very relieved!

There is a technique but no hidden mechanics, as far as I could see the whole map moved at the same pace and no unit was safe.

Spoiler

I managed to get a forge on the second attempt onto the start of a long horizontal stretch of ground, I kept it for 15 minutes which made the difference.

Also taking out the bottom middle/left emitter early with help form the AOO was crucial. The spores are easy to take out thanks to two CNs.
[close]

Tyler21

Quote from: D0m0nik on June 29, 2015, 04:53:17 PM
Just completed Spin after numerous attempts, what a nightmare but very relieved!

There is a technique but no hidden mechanics, as far as I could see the whole map moved at the same pace and no unit was safe.

Spoiler

I managed to get a forge on the second attempt onto the start of a long horizontal stretch of ground, I kept it for 15 minutes which made the difference.

Also taking out the bottom middle/left emitter early with help form the AOO was crucial. The spores are easy to take out thanks to two CNs.
[close]

Congrats, I didn't have the patience to beat it :)

warren

Aaaand... bookmark. Absolutely great list. I will be working through this. :D

D0m0nik

Same here Warren, it's kind of a bucket list for the game! Your maps are especially challenging, really enjoying them as I missed a lot of them. I came incredibly close to a completing a moving target but miss by a whisker each time! Keep me bust for a while!

cornucanis

I'm finally getting around to playing through this list now that I have a laptop that can reasonably run most maps. I plan to make videos for many of them too, in case anyone else is still masochistic enough to give these maps a shot after all these years. 

Quote from: D0m0nik on July 03, 2015, 02:46:36 PM
Same here Warren, it's kind of a bucket list for the game! Your maps are especially challenging, really enjoying them as I missed a lot of them. I came incredibly close to a completing a moving target but miss by a whisker each time! Keep me bust for a while!

You may be particularly interested in my next video, d0m0nik.. It may inspire you to give your white whale another shot  ;)

Sorrontis

--- Top 30! Least Beaten Maps! ---

• #4106 puzzle(fix) by HornlessTheCharizard (1 / 159 = 0.63%)
    Sorrontis' Review - Dropped
    I didn't play it. I'm not a fan of puzzles. Hulk smash!
    [close]

• #4730 Ancient Temple by JoaoPistori (2 / 276 : 0.76%)
    Sorrontis' Review - Dropped
    I played it a couple times, but the controls frustrated me.
    [close]

• #4712 The Fallen Civilization by JoaoPistori (7 / 394 = 1.78%)
    Sorrontis' Review - No Attempt
    Another adventure style map. Just not for me. You try it!
    [close]

• #299 MirrorImage (Easy version) by stewbasic (7 / 376 = 1.86%) Old Position: #2
    Sorrontis' Review - Complete
    Its rather easy, except for that darned mirror mechanic and having to keep the totems supercharged (aka connected to the CNs at all time). This was a fun one!
    [close]

• #3124 A New Dawn by JoaoPistori (7 / 320 = 2.19%)
    Sorrontis' Review
    Another that excites me. Take that as you will! One complaint, for those with bad eyes, it hurts. A lot.
    [close]

• #761 A moving Target by warren (9 / 409 = 2.20%) Old Position: #1
    Sorrontis's Review - Complete
    Oh boy, this one is great!
    [close]

• #88 Rocket by ThirdParty (15 / 660 = 2.27%) Old Position: #3

• #5207 2 long way by baba (3 / 130 : 2.31%)

• #955 Spin by Eketek (4 / 168 : 2.38%)

• #1914 The Doomsday Device by Tyler (15 / 619 = 2.42%) Old Position: #6

• #4201 N433. HecQ2 by PastorHealer (4 / 148 = 2.70%)

• #331 FTL Final Boss by MulaluMichael (9 / 323 = 2.79%) Old Position: #10

• #5548 Field of Glory by Sorrontis (3 / 107 : 2.80%)

• #1939 Sacrifice by Bill Kress (6 / 203 = 2.96%)

• #523 An Easy Target by warren (9 / 303 = 2.97%) Old Position: #5

• #3613 Thats too Easy by Sorrontis (5 / 166 = 3.01%)

• #3219 Tesla by J (5 / 157 = 3.18%)

• #3145 map10 by Nilar (8 / 251 = 3.19%)

• #3636 Thats too Easy 2 by Sorrontis (4 / 125 = 3.20%)

• #3178 creeper sleeper by creeper destroyer (10 / 292 = 3.41%)

• #3125 Real Nightmare - "Nightmare edition" by JoaoPistori (10 / 292 = 3.42%)

• #250 MirrorImage by stewbasic (11 / 321 = 3.43%) Old Position: #7

• #2404 Central Power by Operation Thank You (3.57%)
    Disqualified
    According to GM, this is not a hard map, simply not worth the time playing
    [close]

• #1266 Twin Peak Castle by warren (7 / 193 = 3.63%) Old Position: #9

• #3889 Shields Up by Berman Post (6 / 164 = 3.66%)

• #1121 Heavyworlder Impossible by warren (9 / 245 = 3.67%) Old Position: #27

• #3369 Luna by Vin (4 / 104 : 3.85%)

• #4968 Broken Heard by Sorrontis (4 / 101 = 3.96%)

• #2291 2 Lanes by baba (6 / 151 = 3.97%)

• #5496 Caves by Markucjo (5 / 123 = 4.07%)

Top Map Authors in the top 30! ... *Drum roll*
It's a three way tie!!!

JoaoPistori, warren, and Sorrontis each produced 4 of the top 30 unbeaten maps!

Maps with less than 10 scores that didn't make the cut (Honourable Mentions)

• #1974 Three Oblivions by Xindaris (6 / 140 = 4.29%)
  • #5120 PrismShip by planetfall (8 / 181 = 4.42%)
  • #4136 desecrated by Tricommander (7 / 154 = 4.54%)
  • #3139 Monster in the Woods by Nottootricky (6 / 132 = 4.55%)
  • #2449 Nanoland5 by J (6 / 124 = 4.84%)
  • #3256 Kanal by kalek (7 / 138 = 5.07%)
  • #1942 Mandelbrot J by warren (7 / 134 = 5.22%)
  • #1130 The bowl by warren (8 / 152 = 5.26%)
  • #5062 DotGalore by Sorrontis (7 / 132 = 5.30%)
  • #5617 Big Vanilla Battle by BilboCGL (7 / 128 = 5.47%)
  • #5503 sleeper5 by baba (6 / 105 = 5.71%)
  • #3128 Q 10.67 GBnn 29.2 by PastorHealer (6 / 102 = 5.88%)
  • #2837 Miniland 6 by J (8 / 132 = 6.06%)
  • #2970 HTqqL2Nbb .21 by PastorHealer (7 / 109 = 6.42%)
  • #4888 S01-20 - Deidrith by LappySheep (7 / 107 = 6.54%)
  • #2521 PZ Blaster Race by planetfall (8 / 122 = 6.56%)
  • #5436 Public Void by planetfall (7 / 106 = 6.60%)
  • #4955 Survive & Thrive by Sorrontis (7 / 105 = 6.66%)
  • #5148 Return from Dark Depths by Sorrontis (7 / 105 = 6.66%)
  • #2599 Wotraw Gambit by Menz (8 / 119 = 6.72%)
  • #2477 Hill street bluez by TB (7 / 103 = 6.80%)

Honorable Mention map authors:
J (x2)
PastorHealer (x2)
planetfall (x3)
Sorrontis (x3)
warren (x2)
[close]

Maps that just didn't make the cut

#1222 Fontane Castle by warren (12 / 290 = 4.14%)
#4193 Helms Deep Reimagined by ThomasBS (11 / 265 = 4.15%)
#238 Normandie-2 by First (13 / 302 = 4.30%)
#1876 4th times a charm by Doogie (12 / 273 = 4.40%)
#478 DeFuse by EddyPro (14 / 303 = 4.62%)

#1933 On Target by Tyler (11 / 233 = 4.72%)
#3885 Air Assault by BermaPost (11 / 228 = 4.82%)
#2094 You won't beat the map V by Tyler (14 / 281 = 4.98%)
#4129 Fortress Building 2 by JoaoPistori (15 / 300 = 5.00%)
#1940 You won't beat the map II by Tyler (14 / 275 = 5.09%)

#2889 Sleeper Collector by Rer24 (11 / 215 = 5.12%)
#3898 Guppy Brigade by BermanPost (11 / 209 = 5.26%)
#5094 Jumbotron by Sorrontis (12 / 221 = 5.43%)
#3873 Mighty Plant by MxGoldo (14 / 254 = 5.51%)
#3508 Unknown by Sorrontis (14 / 242 = 5.79%)

#449 Armies by l2edl3aron (14 / 227 = 6.17%)
#3635 Creeper Invaders by kalek (14 / 226 = 6.19%)
#586 Bombardment by Potato (13 / 209 = 6.22%
#3932 Ring Defense by Berman Post (14 / 225 = 6.22%)
#1511 AC Assault by Dp (12 / 186 = 6.45%)
#5378 Le parcours du mRRritant by leukeuss (13 / 195 = 6.66%)
[close]

More than 100 downloads, and less than 15 completed score.
If it's red, it's a legacy map... Definition? They remained on the list since 2015!

(Edit: In hind sight, I should have asked V to pull out the database, would have been faster...)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

yum-forum

And what about top from opposite side (maximum %% finished/downloaded, but downloaded more than 200 or 500)?  ;)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Tyler21

Sorrontis, AWESOME update!

It's refreshing to see that there are so many new challenging maps, which suggests that some mapmakers keep designing maps for hardcore players as well, instead of aiming for 'fame' (i.e., good ratings). This is what I always liked about V's games: customization allows both casual and hardcore players (and mapmakers) to enjoy the game in their own ways. I wish I had the time to test these new maps...

A few comments:
I think #486 (18-560) and #173 (35/919) are missing from the updated list. These are both extremely challenging (#486 is HELL), and were featured in the original list. Also, this is very self-serving, but #1914 is also a 'legacy' map, so a little bit of red wouldn't hurt there :)

Again, thanks for putting your effort into creating this update! I'm sure a lot of players will have a new bucket list!