[CW3] CW1 Series Mapping Template

Started by Grabz, April 25, 2018, 08:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grabz

Ever wanted to make CW1 maps in CW3? Fear not, I got you covered!

This template features:

• High terrain. Each terrain step is 8 standard CW3 terrain steps (well technically 4, but I only really want you using even numbered terrain heights, more on that later...). This means height is much more significant, and you'll be fighting deeper creeper overall.
  • No Nullifiers. Win by connecting and charging all the Totems, to activate the Rift!

If you have questions/issues/suggestions write here or ask me on Discord at Grabz#4707 if you need a faster response.

This map uses very little CRPL, meaning you don't need to know much to use it. However, there's some things you have to keep in mind:

Map Finalize Checklist:

• Your map must contain a pre-placed Forge, or you will instalose.
  • Your map must contain at least one Totem, or you will instawin.
  • Because of the way I designed this map, for maximum clarity, you should only use terrain elevation that is an even number. So, terrain elevation 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 is okay. 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 is not. The game will still work the way you'd expect if you use odd number terrain elevations, but the custom elevation indicator will show "half-blocks" and that didn't exist in CW1. If you're trying to stay true to CW1, there were only 5 terrain elevations, and you should use the ones I listed.
Dos:

• You can use multiple Command Nodes. By default I capped them to 1, but you can increase that as you wish. I also like to pre-place the CN's, wait until they're stocked up on energy then reset all the switches (delete creeper/ac, reset time, scripts->compile scripts, save->load) because it's similar to CW1.
  • You can change the terrain texture. There are some textures I pulled from CW1 in Map Textures:

Just pick the one you like and apply it to every terrain elevation. Or just pick any textures you like...
  • You can use any CW3 unit, or any CRPL unit regardless of its "Counts for Victory" setting. All "Counts for Victory" units are destroyed when all Totems are connected, without exception, to ensure victory.
  • If you really, really, really want to, you can enable the Nullifier, then you will give players an option to win without activating the Rift.
  • You can also enable the Bertha if you wish.
  • Probably other things I didn't mention in Don'ts
Don'ts:

• Do not enable/use Terps and Artifacts of Odin. The map uses SetTerrainOverride, which does not work correctly with these.
  • Also, don't use any custom CRPL units that affect the terrain in any way. Any terraforming is a no-go.
  • I don't recommend enabling Guppies, or you'll be able to win just by parking them next to each Totem.
  • Don't enable the Forge for player building, because the map is over once the pre-existing Forge is destroyed.
  • Don't resize the map, unless you read the section below about map resizing.

Now for some more advanced instructions...

Map resizing
Spoiler

So you want to resize the map, huh. Unfortunately, my map uses SetTerrainOverride, which will corrupt your map if you try resizing it. However, we can temporarily disable it, resize the map, then switch it back on. Follow these steps precisely:

• Go to Scripts and open Map.crpl in your favorite text editor.
  • Scroll all the way down, until you find this line of code:
  • Remove the # from the third line, and place it at the beginning of the fourth line, like this:
  • Save the file. Go back to the editor and hit Load.
  • Hit save.
  • Now, in the editor, hit the Terrain button, make the game window really tiny, then zoom all the way in and move the camera all the way to the top left corner of the screen, something like so:

This is to ensure that the custom elevation indicator on the UI does not get destroyed when resizing.
  • Hit Resize Map, and resize the map to whichever dimensions you like (don't pick numbers too small, or the custom elevation indicator will get destroyed).
  • Save, then Load.
  • Go back to the script, and reverse the change you did from step 3, then save the file.
  • Now Load, then Save. The map should be good to go. Repeat this process each time you need to resize...

How do you know it worked and nothing's broken? Paint some terrain, place some emitters. If the emitters work, and they adhere to terrain according to the custom elevation indicator rather than the built-in one, you're good. If things are broken, feel free to write to me on Discord on the KC discord channel and I'll help you out.
[close]

Creeper flow rate
Spoiler

The map also contains a UI element that shows flow rate. I added it to have more variety in this template. You can change creeper flow rate by clicking on the invisible core in top left, like so:

Default value is 0.2, which is normal flow. 1.0 is the flow speed of creeper on digitalis. You can choose values between 0 and 1. The UI indicator will show these values as five times higher than this (1-5).
[close]
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

Grabz

Changelog:

V2 - 2018-04-26
* Added the ability to change creeper flow rate in Map.crpl input variable and added a HUD element displaying it.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker