Game Mechanics Quiz 1 - How much do you really know?

Started by UpperKEES, October 18, 2010, 11:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Okay, including hi who indicated the same in chat this makes 10. I'll start a new quiz next week. :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

J

ctuna

Kees, as a kinda math moron, I'd like to see some, "How do you use it?" kind of quiz questions. Can't give a really great example right now, but something like where's the best place to start a particular map (and why) or what's the advantage of a particular strategy against some threat scenario. I don't see the obvious as well as some, but I can sometimes learn from example. Some of the solutions the the previous quiz were great for the "what", but I didn't always get the, "How is this used?" part. I hope this kind of question will work better in a week-long quiz than it might have in the previous one. Thanx for consideration.

UpperKEES

Quote from: ctuna on November 29, 2010, 01:02:12 PM
Kees, as a kinda math moron, I'd like to see some, "How do you use it?" kind of quiz questions.

Some of the solutions the the previous quiz were great for the "what", but I didn't always get the, "How is this used?" part.

Well, it's true that most questions till now have approached the various topics from the theoretical side. This is mainly because you have to understand the way something works before you can apply this knowledge. A second reason is that many tactics and strategies have been discussed before on the forums, but often without knowing or understand why certain things happen.

Apart from that the mechanics are interesting to 2 different (but overlapping) groups of people: players and map makers. When you for instance look at the questions of the previous quiz, you could roughly say that questions 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 and 11 can be useful to a player of CW (i.e. choice of weapons or number of speed nodes), while questions 1, 6, 9 and 12 are more useful to a map maker. Of course a map maker should always take the player into account, so indirectly every question is interesting for a map maker.

Quote from: ctuna on November 29, 2010, 01:02:12 PM
Can't give a really great example right now, but something like where's the best place to start a particular map (and why) or what's the advantage of a particular strategy against some threat scenario. I don't see the obvious as well as some, but I can sometimes learn from example. I hope this kind of question will work better in a week-long quiz than it might have in the previous one. Thanx for consideration.

Although this would actually discuss the tactics and strategy more than the mechanics itself, I will try to think of some more practical questions as well when I can link them to a specific CW feature. The intention of the quiz is however to discuss how and why everything works the way it works. In the discussion that follows we can always try to find out what this means for gameplay and map making.

ctuna

Didn't mean the quiz should only be for my benefit, of course. And, yes, many of the previous quiz questions gave me good info.
Quote from: UpperKEES on November 29, 2010, 03:09:10 PM
... I will try to think of some more practical questions as well when I can link them to a specific CW feature. The intention of the quiz is however to discuss how and why everything works the way it works. In the discussion that follows we can always try to find out what this means for gameplay and map making.
Thx again for any considerations.

edit (I just noticed I made full member. Yay!)

UpperKEES