Best Collector Layout Pattern

Started by burguertime, December 02, 2010, 01:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burguertime

I will use the Hunker Down map as example, because its mechanics require you to produce the maximum energy possible the earliest you can.

You begin the game with OC in middle in a completely flat map.

You are in no danger of flooding, as the creeper must corrode walls to get in.

You need the best collection rate with the least amount of collectors.

No reactors

What pattern you will use?

I usually spread the collectors in a diamond pattern. It leaves one single square out in the middle of every four collectors. When it really needs fast collection, leave one place empty, as this collector would have the biggest overlap.

In the Hunker Down map, using this pattern, I can get to 7.2 collection by the time the first walls break. I ran a bit of deficit, so I think it could be even a bit higher.

Anyone know a better pattern? One that can yield a higher collection by the time the first walls break in huker down?
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Grauniad

I suspect there are two metrics that you need to concern yourself with.

One, as in your case, is maximum collection in an unbound space, so you are not concerned with not collecting the maximum energy per surface area.

The other is when the area is bound or limited and you are concerned with maximizing efficiency of all collectors.

Of course, speed also plays a role in this, since if speed is not a concern, you would  "hang" 4 collectors off a relay, thus eliminating the overlap space. of any collector. Or you could add speed nodes and storage nodes to the network, spacing the collectors further apart to eliminate overlap. When speed is a factor, you might also want to consider the path build packets have to travel, since that may delay construction of new collectors.

Things get complicated real fast, which is why scientific experiments are so hard to get right.  :)

Edit:

So for interest's sake, I tried. I missed your stipulation of "first wall breakdown" so I tried maxing out before the creeper flooded out. Here is my layout that uses all available space with minimal overlap.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

UpperKEES

The most efficient layout would be to place collectors slightly less diagonally, so they have least overlap. See picture below:

Collectors placed under 45 degrees will overlap 7 blocks. Collectors placed with an offset of 5 by 3 will only overlap 6 blocks. Placed in a horizontal or vertical line they overlap even 10 blocks.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Kamron3

Quote from: UpperKEES on December 02, 2010, 02:24:20 PM
The most efficient layout would be to place collectors slightly less diagonally, so they have least overlap. See picture below:

Collectors placed under 45 degrees will overlap 7 blocks. Collectors placed with an offset of 5 by 3 will only overlap 6 blocks. Placed in a horizontal or vertical line they overlap even 10 blocks.

But I would, of course, try to do it all with symmetrical design ;)

UpperKEES

You can use the 5-3 offset as symmetrical as you like. :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Blaze

I destroy half of my network when I'm about to beat a map because it's not symmetrical. I could never achieve an "Efficient" network.

mthw2vc

Quote from: Gaara on December 02, 2010, 04:37:59 PM

They can still be symmetrical...

Kamron3

Quote from: mthw2vc on December 04, 2010, 10:25:37 AM
Quote from: Gaara on December 02, 2010, 04:37:59 PM

They can still be symmetrical...

Too much work to do that. I prefer just up, down, left, right at a 45 degree angle.

Colin

Unless there is just a massive open spot (which this is semi-
rare), it doesn't really matter what layout you use.  ;)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

Katra

Correct. Usually the optimum network is dictated by the terrain. (Both in efficiently covering the available area and building quickly.) With efficient network routes as a significant consideration for me sometimes.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!