Story mission 16?

Started by speef, February 28, 2017, 08:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speef

I imagine this is a dumb question, but has anyone figured out what the failure conditions are on the 16th story mission?

The dialogue says you're supposed to park the HQ in the green box. Do that, the mission ends instantly in failure.

...ookay, so park the HQ on the other side of the map, start making some ships. Mission ends in failure, reason not given.

....oookay, so park the HQ more towards the green box, make only a couple ships and run for the green box.  Mission ends in failure, reason not given.

Is this a bug, or am I missing some bit of instruction?

Karsten75

Not all stories have a happy ending.

GoodMorning

One critical question: did the HQ survive? The mission is lost if your HQ dies. You can't warp it in directly over the green outline at the start, for this exact reason.

The "Berthas" spawn particle lines over time, which I thought had been set up to avoid the HQ (to avoid instant failure frustration).

There is another explanation, which should be clear from the dialogue at the end.

Plot, best seen in-game
Finishing the mission is not, here, the same as victory. The idea is that you are put in an impossible situation when you get the message, similar to the situation in the prologue. The epilogue makes this clear. Sadly, no multiple endings this time.
[close]
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

speef

I am pretty sure the only time my HQ died is the first time when I parked it in the parking zone right out of the gate.

I will have another go assuming that you're supposed to build ships and fight the particles, and keep a close eye on the HQ this time (maybe it did somehow die on the second run? I really don't think so because I was just fleetbuilding and it was on screen in back of the combat ships.)

Thanks for the responses.

speef

Well, I didn't figure out why the mission ended on the second and third run, but I got through it. Maybe my HQ did get destroyed somehow...  Went fine on the fourth try.