Adjustible map difficulty

Started by UpperKEES, November 06, 2011, 03:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Kithros once posted this in beta:

QuoteIs there any chance of having artifacts that can be destroyed by creeper without losing the game? It could be very helpful for having optional objectives in a map to get extra points etc., or allowing maps to have multiple difficulties where you can only pick up one artifact (where the amount of points and resources vary) before they're destroyed.

I was thinking along these lines: wouldn't it be possible to achieve the same thing when the amount of points obtained by collecting an artifact could be negative? This means they will be subtracted from your score.

For instance at the start of the map there are 3 gems: red (+100 energy, -1000 points), green (+200 energy, -2000 points) and blue (+300 energy, -3000 points). The less energy you need to finish the map, the higher your score will be. The same could be applied to artifacts (i.e. finishing the map without the shield tech would gain you 2500 points). Of course on these maps it shouldn't be mandatory to collect the techs.

I think this would be rather easy to implement and allow us to design maps that are interesting for any type of player. It would also increase the replayability of maps.

Edit:

If implemented it could be a wise thing to check for negative scores and set these to zero, so negative values won't cause problems in the game, database or score pages.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

J

mopa42

I agree. This is something I had wanted to do with the editor before seeing what it could do.
Having crystals that carry penalties could really help give options for strategies.
Such as having to buy all the techs you use (1 cost, -1000 points for each), and trying to complete the map with as few techs as possible.

thepenguin

We have become the creeper...

lich98

I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

thepenguin

lich98

I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Michionlion

+ 2∞

we're dealing with variables technically, right?
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

thepenguin

Another idea: crystals with negative energy bonuses (you could call it an energy penalty) and point bonuses (you take on defecit for a better score?)

UpperKEES

Quote from: thepenguin on November 07, 2011, 07:12:55 PM
Another idea: crystals with negative energy bonuses (you could call it an energy penalty) and point bonuses (you take on defecit for a better score?)

You just described the current gems (because 'negative energy bonus' = 'building cost'). :P
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

thepenguin

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 08, 2011, 01:25:34 AM
Quote from: thepenguin on November 07, 2011, 07:12:55 PM

You just described the current gems (because 'negative energy bonus' = 'building cost'). :P

oh, :P