Main Menu

Computer problem

Started by yum-forum, October 02, 2016, 11:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yum-forum

Thank You for helping me!  :)

I tried Your recommendation (Checking "Synchronous Scene Load" options on the ADV menu).
Became better but time to time (mainly not in time of playing game, but when I in menu change screen) game crash. Logs in attachment (last 3 logs 7, 8 and 9 in case of changing screen of menu, 7 and 8 -  without playing game, 9 - after playing game and in time of changing menu).
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Karsten75

Yum,
  We should try to get to the bottom of some of your issues, even if that means we just arrive at a point where we decide your setup is borderline too old.

Please start by downloading and running Memtest++ from this site. That will ensure there are no issues with your RAM.

http://www.memtest.org/

yum-forum

Thanks for link to memtest.

I get Memtest86+5.01. Result was "Pass complete, no errors".

Game still time to time crash. Logs in attachment.
last

knucracker

Does the game usually crash after you have been playing for a while?  If so, try exiting the game after a couple missions, then restart and see if the crashes go away.

yum-forum

Mainly game crash when I change main screen (as it was today - see attached file) or time to time when I exit from mission.
After restarting game - no problem for some period of time (1-5 hours).

Edit: One more today error.new2 log - only change screen without playing game.
Edit2: error.new3 log - just jumping (see maps of plyers) from one screen in EXCHANGE to another without playing game
last

knucracker

It likely has to to with either total memory usage, or memory fragmentation.  If things are good for around the first hour of game play, but it becomes more likely the longer you have the game up, that would be a reasonable assumption.

Take a look at the games memory usage in task manager when you first start, and as you play.  Could be that it creeps up as you play and exit mission after mission, until it crosses a threshold that causes an issue on your computer/GPU.

yum-forum

For example, now I only see EXCHANGE maps and  changed screen... (Withiout playing mission)
last

knucracker

Are you using version 1.0.2?  I just noticed in your crash log it is from Unity 5.4.2.  Version 1.0.2 of PF should be using unity 5.3.6.
Take a look at the bottom of the main menu and confirm you are on 1.0.2.

yum-forum

1.0.2.b2 as You or Karsten recomended befor (link for download and key)
last

knucracker

Either switch to the current steam version, or the current release 1.0.2 version here:
http://knucklecracker.com/particlefleet/redownload.php

Probably won't make a huge difference, but at least you will be on the current build.

yum-forum

Sorry but unfortunately problem not solved.  :(
I made experiment: without playing mission I listed screen with maps in "exchange" and controlled by "Task Manager" allocated memory. Each new page add about 50Mb allocated memory and when it becomes more than 2100-2200MB - PF crash.
Also game crash when I play big mission (like #444 with many particles and many many enemy ships).
What You can recommend? Thank You in advance for helping.

Version 1.0.3b2  Crash logs in attachment.
last

knucracker

On my systems, memory will appear to grow in task manager up to a few gig and then stabilize.  The amount it grows to has a lot to do with the total memory in your system.  Unity uses mono (.net) and its a managed memory environment that allocates blocks of physical memory from the OS as it thinks it needs them.  It doesn't return them to the OS, but internally it will use/free/reuse memory as the garbage collection does its thing.

I've confirmed in the memory profiler that I can enter, exit, reenter, repeast on the exchange in both carousel and grid mode and there doesn't appear to be any kind of memory leak.  Memory gets used, released, reused, on an interval of around 200MB in my test.  Note that the windows task manager will report wildly inaccurate value sometimes based on memory fragmentation, etc.

Now in your case you get a crash after memory hits a certain mark.  It isn't that you are running out of memory, you have more than 2-3GB in your system.  It's that you get a crash at a certain memory usage level.  That sounds hardware related.  I can't say for sure what.  I only know that this crash doesn't seem to be a general problem for the playing population.  If it were my machine I might speculate about memory timing and voltage settings in my BIOS.  But I'm in no place to make any recommendations about what you might or might not try.   

yum-forum

Thank You for kind replay. It was not such problem in CW1, CW2 and CW3.
last

Karsten75

Quote from: yum-forum on December 22, 2016, 09:08:31 AM
Thank You for kind replay. It was not such problem in CW1, CW2 and CW3.

I am sure the problem also doesn't happen with all other applications you run on your computer.

Fact is, each and every application has a different execution profile and places a different load on the various components' (RAM, processor and graphics) usage. CW1 and CW2 were written in Flash/AIR and uses minimal graphics resources. CW3 and PF were
written in Unity, with PF placing more load on graphics resources than CW3.

It just so happens that the intersection of your hardware and Particle Fleet is an unhappy one. It may happen on other machines as well, but given the very low volume of complaints about this occurrence, we can suspect that it is a very low incidence of machines in this unfortunate position.

I looked briefly at a few of the error logs and noticed this:

Error occurred at 2016-10-21_142542.
C:\Program Files\KnuckleCracker\Particle Fleet\ParticleFleet.exe, run by Yurii.
66% memory in use.
3584 MB physical memory [1215 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
2048 MB user address space [165 MB free].
Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

That says you have no paging file? Is that correct? That may be a very big clue as to what's going on here. For a very long time now, a lot of things in Windows rely on virtual memory and hence on the presence of a paging file.