What do you want in a map?

Started by Cotters, April 25, 2012, 08:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cotters

People have different preferences. What do you like in a map? What's essential and just appreciated? And, what don't you like?

Community opinions on what they personally want and don't want can help future map makes brainstorm ideas and develop a criteria to guide themselves. Not so much about what all maps should/shouldn't be, but what you like/don't like them to be. Sharing opinions is fun after all.

Ebon Heart

I'm a big fan of stories. I like to know why I'm in this situation. I'm also a fan of cool fields and other effects. I want to stare in awe as I'm surrounded by an encroaching wave of evil that seeks only to destroy me. When I beat a map, I want to feel as though I've used my wits, and quick instincts to survive many close encounters and to simply make it out alive, outsmarting and outmatching a much more powerful enemy in the process.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

J

I don't like long maps because I don't have enough time to play them. I mostly like short maps where you have to think before doing anything. For me, it doesn't need a good story to be good.

Rushed

I highly dislike maps where you just suddenly appear and there isn't any talking... It removers purpose, and without purpose, I feel that the map isn't even worth it. Even if they include talking later on in the game, I probably won't play it without a story line. If I do play it, it will probably be because I don't have anything else to do. I also think that the better the story line, the more difficult the map should be.

Rushed

Mr.H

I like maps that have a good believable storyline to give you purpose and immediately thrust you into action. I also hate grinding, and prefer maps that allow you quicker but riskier tactics to overcome your foe. Fields are definetly cool if done right, otherwise they are an annoyance that cause grinding.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

teknotiss

i enjoy short puzzle maps and long grinding maps.
stories and plots are good if done well, but bad plots or nonsense ones just don't add anything.
my biggest dislike is maps that are really restricted, i like finding my own method for completing a map, a map that need an clue or hint is fine, but if you need a step by step guide or need to build "x" by "y" or lose then i get a little disheartened.
but what i like most is seeing how map makers improve their themes over the course of a few maps, it's a shame so many make just one map and give up on it.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus