Particle Fleet Demo Now Available!

Started by knucracker, September 28, 2016, 10:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Praetonus

Quote from: virgilw on September 28, 2016, 08:50:27 PM
Really.... those inception missions work but the first story mission doesn't.  That makes basically no sense :) 

All I can figure is it has to do with the overlay text.  That is used in the first two story missions and never again I think.  It may be trying to use a system font - perhaps one that doesn't exist on your machine.  I would expect some error in the log, but who knows.  That is really the only thing unique about the story mission.  It also tries to show that overlay text right after the first conversation box is dismissed.

That overlay text should be "Arial".  See if you have that font on your system.

I do have that font. I tried renaming the font file with an uppercase letter since file names on Linux are case sensitive but it didn't change anything.

However, I tried the Windows version with Wine and the result was rather interesting. The tutorial is working and I'm able to progress through the mission but most of the interface text was missing (the buttons were still working). I've attached a screenshot but unfortunately I was unable to find the log file, it doesn't look like it was generated.

DanTheGoodMan

macOS Sierra here, and I've already played the first four levels. The game has worked flawlessly for me.

I'm using the trackpad, so I end up fighting it when I need to scroll, but other than that, I have no complaints. Great game as always! I can't wait for the full version to go on sale :D

UncleBod

Works on Debian Sid amd64, wirks on Ubuntu 15.10 running in VMWare...
Not on Kubuntu 14, not on Kubuntu 16, not on Archlinux...
OK, not that I know why it whould be on that level, but right now it looks like wither kernel or processor problem.
My processor is a dual core Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU B815 @ 1.60GHz .

I will try to set up some other systems running from an UB stick during the week.(DebianSid andUbuntu 15.10) If any of those should work we will have something to start looking at at least...

/UncleBod
I prefer serious electrical faults:
A bang, a flash and smoke. No problem guessing what is broken...

The_Mell

I cannot decide wether to play with creepified or discrete particles.
The option works - but i don't know which i prefer...   ;D

After binge playing through the demo i can say several things:
- Nice work Virgil!
- Everything worked fine for me so far, so good job done Virgil!
- Story missions make me want more
- To the Inception map maker: you little *insert favorite insult here* - you tricked me into a wrong strategy for a way too long amount of time  :D

System specs:
Win10 64bit
AMD 6100 and 16GB RAM
AMD 380 with 4GB and latest Radeon drivers
"Fairies Wear Boots" - Black Sabbath

dj84722

I Found a Minor Control Issue, when you have cancel set to right click you can't remove areas marked by rock burner. it just cancels the menu instead instead

Xeneonic

Quote from: Praetonus on September 28, 2016, 09:21:14 PM
Quote from: virgilw on September 28, 2016, 08:50:27 PM
Really.... those inception missions work but the first story mission doesn't.  That makes basically no sense :) 

All I can figure is it has to do with the overlay text.  That is used in the first two story missions and never again I think.  It may be trying to use a system font - perhaps one that doesn't exist on your machine.  I would expect some error in the log, but who knows.  That is really the only thing unique about the story mission.  It also tries to show that overlay text right after the first conversation box is dismissed.

That overlay text should be "Arial".  See if you have that font on your system.

I do have that font. I tried renaming the font file with an uppercase letter since file names on Linux are case sensitive but it didn't change anything.

However, I tried the Windows version with Wine and the result was rather interesting. The tutorial is working and I'm able to progress through the mission but most of the interface text was missing (the buttons were still working). I've attached a screenshot but unfortunately I was unable to find the log file, it doesn't look like it was generated.
I'd have to guess that this problem is unrelated to your previous one, as text showed up just fine there (on the UI at least)

Tarmandan

I was able to smoothly play through all 7 missions of the demo on my win 7 x64 desktop PC. Some time on the weekend I will probably test the full release on my laptop and see if any issues pop up

Grabarz

I don't know if this is a bug or just a visual problem, but it seems like if you start a map with a custom fleet, save the game, abort and then reload the game from that save, when the game loads into mission boot screen, the high score options are weird. Example:

http://i.imgur.com/hXq3BbJ.png - As you can see, the only setting visible is "Default fleet", whereas my fleet is clearly custom (as can be seen on the thumbnail, or here http://imgur.com/l3kdv2C.png)

I tried to reproduce this on the other inception mission but that time I got both "Default" and "Custom".

I think it should only give you the option that you chose when you started the level. I'm also not sure if this selection affects post scoreboard.

BoxOfSnoo

I was able to play fine on my MacBook Air with Sierra, so I don't know why my iMac crashes on launch... one weird thing was that it brings up the loading screen but also throws up a "Validating" progress bar, which usually happens before an app loads (i.e. when you first download something from the net). 

There's a weird issue when trying to play with the trackpad, you can't scroll with two fingers to aim the grabbers, it locks into "map drag" mode.  The only way I got out of it was to hit all of the control keys and cmd-Tab to another app to get out of that.

Windows runs fine.

Portelly

Quote from: BoxOfSnoo on September 29, 2016, 01:22:02 PM
so I don't know why my iMac crashes on launch... one weird thing was that it brings up the loading screen but also throws up a "Validating" progress bar, which usually happens before an app loads (i.e. when you first download something from the net). 

Same Problem here
Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000020
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

I'm on a Sierra Fresh Install from yesterday.
EDIT : Crash Report added

knucracker

Try fiddling with gatekeeper to allow the app to run.  Mac crashes are almost always related to some permissions problem (either write permissions to the file system, or app execute problems).

Portelly

I try to re download it.
I get the error with syspolicyd
20:20:22.987394 +0200   syspolicyd   MacOS error: -67050
/usr/libexec/syspolicyd
/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.Framework/Versions/A/Security.

Get another error
AMFI: allowing exception handler for 'ParticleFleet' (2683) because the process is unsigned.

I'll continu to try to find a solution with the gatekeeper problem without disabling it.

UncleBod

Ok, made a Live USB stick with Debian 8 (amd64)
Demo works with help tects and arrows.
Now I just have to find out what the differences between Debian and Kubuntu are so Virgil have a chance to fix it.
Or at least tell people on which Linux system it works...
Due to an earlier message here I will make a run on Unbuntu 15 also.

/UncleBod
At least some success....