Ebon Heart
11 (28.9%)
thepenguin
10 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: October 12, 2011, 09:03:50 AM

Kamron3

Quote from: Karsten75 on October 09, 2011, 11:33:49 PM
I think the mods should be responsible people that don't spam threads with junk.

Yah srsly, Ebon, cut that out! :P

UpperKEES

Quote from: Kamron3 on October 09, 2011, 08:49:26 PM
KEES is already a Chat Mod!

Some of the nominated forum members have temporarily been made a chat mod by Grauniad until the final decision is made on October 12.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

thepenguin

what exactly do chatmods do that is different from normal users?
We have become the creeper...

lich98

Quote from: Kamron3 on October 09, 2011, 11:56:54 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on October 09, 2011, 11:33:49 PM
I think the mods should be responsible people that don't spam threads with junk.

Yah srsly, Ebon, cut that out! :P
Really Kamron you should stop.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Michionlion

Quote from: thepenguin on October 10, 2011, 07:51:16 AM

Umm... mod the chat? maybe? sometimes?
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

thepenguin

Quote from: Michionlion on October 10, 2011, 10:03:49 AM
Umm... mod the chat? maybe? sometimes?

I meant which permissions do they have that are different (delete messages, ban users, etc...)

Grauniad

From time to time a new member (or even one of the long-time members) goes off the rails and posts a lot of images, rolls the dice excessively, invites other members to join him/her on another website where the inviting member can get points, or any one of a number of other annoying techniques commonly referred to as "spamming chat."

All but the abuse of the dice rolls can be prevented by simply placing the offending member on "ignore." However, the custom in chat rooms is that the offending member should be publicly flogged, hauled through the streets tied to the stocks and then thrown out of the city (chat room). Only a mod can do this. Additionally, mods can rewrite history by deleting past messages, thus pretending something never happened.

In the light of allowing the people their circuses (and yes, I'm mixing metaphors), we have decided that as an experiment, we would allow the citizens of chat to elect their own governors.  If the experiment fails, democracy's tender shoot will be crushed under my authoritarian jackboot (Another mixed metaphor.)

It is also an interesting social experiment. One of the many reasons to frequent online communities. What the experiment shows, is of course dependent on the viewpoint of the observer.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

thepenguin

Quote from: Grauniad on October 10, 2011, 10:25:31 AM

From time to time a new member (or even one of the long-time members) goes off the rails and posts a lot of images, rolls the dice excessively, invites other members to join him/her on another website where the inviting member can get points, or any one of a number of other annoying techniques commonly referred to as "spamming chat."

All but the abuse of the dice rolls can be prevented by simply placing the offending member on "ignore." However, the custom in chat rooms is that the offending member should be publicly flogged, hauled through the streets tied to the stocks and then thrown out of the city (chat room). Only a mod can do this. Additionally, mods can rewrite history by deleting past messages, thus pretending something never happened.

In the light of allowing the people their circuses (and yes, I'm mixing metaphors), we have decided that as an experiment, we would allow the citizens of chat to elect their own governors.  If the experiment fails, democracy's tender shoot will be crushed under my authoritarian jackboot (Another mixed metaphor.)

It is also an interesting social experiment. One of the many reasons to frequent online communities. What the experiment shows, is of course dependent on the viewpoint of the observer.

In that case, the chatmods are lucky people.

lich98

Quote from: thepenguin on October 10, 2011, 10:39:46 AM

In the light of allowing the people their circuses (and yes, I'm mixing metaphors), we have decided that as an experiment, we would allow the citizens of chat to elect their own governors.  If the experiment fails, democracy's tender shoot will be crushed under my authoritarian jackboot (Another mixed metaphor.)

true indeed
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

thepenguin

Quote from: lich98 on October 10, 2011, 01:19:57 PM

In the light of allowing the people their circuses (and yes, I'm mixing metaphors), we have decided that as an experiment, we would allow the citizens of chat to elect their own governors.  If the experiment fails, democracy's tender shoot will be crushed under my authoritarian jackboot (Another mixed metaphor.)

true indeed
I wish  I got nominated  :-\

UpperKEES

I believe a good chat mod intervenes as little as possible. Just being in chat should be enough to keep a happy atmosphere. Over the past 2 years we've hardly ever had the need for a chat mod, so it's just in case.

Like a doorman at a club (yes Echo, I like going out ;)) most issues should be solved by talking instead of fighting or other drastic measures.

That said I don't like it when interesting conversations continuously get interrupted by someone obviously trolling and/or spamming, so I won't accept that.

Additionally, mods can rewrite history by deleting past messages, thus pretending something never happened.

The log file and the real-time monitor never lie. ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

Kamron3 is disqualified for voting fraud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote_early_and_vote_often

Any votes cast for Kamron3 will not count.  Since I had to spend time looking at the database, inspecting IP addresses, and cleaning up accounts  I'm not in a particularly peachy mood currently and am mulling over other actions.

knucracker

After discussing this with Kamron3, it appears that the flurry of zero post accounts created in the last 24 hours which only voted for him, were in fact people from a school that he campaigned to vote for him.  This doesn't violate any stated conditions of the poll.  Naturally, I prefer for people that will be participating in the chat to elect who they want to moderate the chat, but some of these new users may participate in the chat.

I also realize this could open up the doors for everyone to ask their friends and relative to vote for them.  So be it... but I will at this point make the following addendum to the poll.

I will tabulate the final results and I will only count votes from forum accounts that have some minimum number of posts.  In other words, accounts created just to vote won't end up counting in the results.  New accounts created that are just early, but active, participants in the forums will of course count.

I apologize to Kamron3 for assuming the accounts were personally created by him.  If I had checked the common IP address on all of the accounts I would have seen they all came from the same school.

Kamron3

To clarify: am I still disqualified or am I still allowed to run?

knucracker

Disqualification is off.  Disdisqualified, or I suppose simply qualified :)