Any good book for learn Unity

Started by pyaehtetaung, November 22, 2013, 10:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyaehtetaung

I am now reading and doing from Unity 3 Game Development Hotshot by using Unity 4.3.
And also reading Fundamentals of Computer Programming with C# from http://www.introprogramming.info.That book is free. ;D
I want to become Unity game developer.

Modify:I think(Sorry for) not related Knuckle Cracker.

Michionlion

The best way to learn is just to play around with Unity.  There are also many short video tutorials dealing with certain aspects of the editor, however they may not be in your native language.  Once you understand the basics (such as the 3D world system, and scripting) then you can learn everything by just trial and experimentation.

PS:  Really, this should be in Random Discussion, but I don not think it matters too much.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

knucracker

Where to start depends on where you are starting from.  Do you have any development experience, any graphics experience, any experience with any other game engines or writing games.

If you are starting from the very beginning, then just watch tutorial videos and read the provided Unity tutorials and materials: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

Kingo

Another program you can write C# games in is XNA game studio.
I am developing a 2D shooter on it, and there are TONS of tutorials out there on it. It's much simpler then Unity, I believe. It is possible to make games for computers, the Xbox 360, and Windows phones

You have to download visual C# 2010 express (http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads#d-2010-express) and then download XNA game studio 4.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23714)

I didn't have any experience making games or graphics, just an interest in coding and developing games. I was simply looking for a program I could use to make games.
Also, thanks for posting the book link, i'll take a look :)

pyaehtetaung

Thank Kingo,virgilw and Michionlion for reply.
I has no experience.
I am starting from the very beginning.
videos tutorials are good but It cost too much for me because connection is slow in day.If I don't sleep at night, videos tutorials are good.
Visual Studio 2012 ultimate but I don't know How to install XNA game studio because It don't not know Visual Studio 2012.So I chose Unity.

Kingo

Quote from: pyaehtetaung on November 23, 2013, 11:03:45 PM
Thank Kingo,virgilw and Michionlion for reply.
I has no experience.
I am starting from the very beginning.
videos tutorials are good but It cost too much for me because connection is slow in day.If I don't sleep at night, videos tutorials are good.
Visual Studio 2012 ultimate but I don't know How to install XNA game studio because It don't not know Visual Studio 2012.So I chose Unity.

XNA game studio (4.0) works only on Microsoft Visual C# 2010 (I have express).

pyaehtetaung

Quote from: Kingo on November 24, 2013, 10:55:50 AM
XNA game studio (4.0) works only on Microsoft Visual C# 2010 (I have express).
Yes. XNA game studio (4.0) works only on Microsoft Visual C# 2010.
I don't know different between XNA game studio and Unity.

Michionlion

Unity is a full game engine, XNA is an Integrated Development Environment, or IDE.  I would suggest starting with XNA, until you know the language, and then use Unity.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

pyaehtetaung

Thank Michionlion.
Did you know How to install XNA in Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate?

Michionlion

There are a lot of good tutorials online, it would probably be best if you found one in your own language.
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

IT is clear that no-one here has any input to offer. OP does not want to learn via on-line tutorials, since his Internet connection does not allow that. Amazon lists a large number of books, I suggest the OP choose from those. As for now, I will lock this topic since it has noting to do with support and eventually move it.

List of Unity3D books at Amazon.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon