Custom ship editor: build ships up to size 128x128 (v0.3.4)

Started by kajacx, December 20, 2016, 08:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOXX

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

kajacx

weeb27
What operation system do you have? What error does it write when you start it from console/terminal?
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

Poladuful

Death before dishonor.

FOXX

Quote from: Poladuful on March 11, 2018, 04:17:35 PM
How do i add the GITG?

In the normal Ship Editor you can copy the CITG and then paste into this Editor.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

Mahazkei

So I've got a bug, and it's pretty gross.

First, I'm running the PRPL Toolset, v0.3.2

On a 2007 iMac.

I'm trying to import a ship from the editor to PF:E, running on Steam.

But the ship file, once saved, tells me it cannot be converted to a .dat file.

And it says so in the text box below the editor window, next to the Export and Import to Clipboard buttons.

I've got tons of ships in the .txt format, and I need them in .dat to import them to PF:E on Steam.

Help is appreciated.

kajacx

Quote from: Mahazkei on April 21, 2018, 10:16:32 PM
But the ship file, once saved, tells me it cannot be converted to a .dat file.

TL;DR: Try installing mono.

(copy-paste from discord)
[12:36 PM] kajacx: @Mahazkei hi, in order to generate the .dat file, you need to have mono installed if you are using mac
[12:37 PM] kajacx: just google "mono mac download" and it's the first hit --> http://www.mono-project.com/docs/getting-started/install/mac/
[12:38 PM] kajacx: i tried it in virual box and it worked fine, in case it doesn't work there is a way to import the ship via the "export to clipboard" button but it's a bit more complicated
[12:46 PM] kajacx: also, "What difference does it make": the "export to clipboard" button just copies the ship's vanilla plan data, same as clicking the "PRPL Data to Clipboard" button in the vanilla editor. This data can be fed into the AddCustomShipToInventory, but this doesn't save the custom modules.
[12:48 PM] kajacx: the "Save as" button will save both the ship plan and the custom modules into a .txt file, as wel las generate .prpl files to ass the custom modules as well as it will attemp to create the .dat file, which is what PF editor uses to save the script. If the program sucessfully creates the .dat file, then the ship will appear in you ship list automaticly.

Also, there is a way to import it without the .dat file, I might do a video on that.
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

MaxFirestorm

So I downloaded this to have a play around with it and was struggling to find the hull options when I imported my ship...

https://i.imgur.com/Lozlxyv.png

I can't seem to find them anywh-

https://i.imgur.com/a7movoG.png

I don't think the program likes long descriptions all that much =p

kajacx

Quote from: MaxFirestorm on June 03, 2018, 08:00:11 AM

Yea I was lazy to fix the long description issue, just copy it into a text editor on the side or something and then copy it back when you are done. Sorry for the inconvenience.

MaxFirestorm

Quote from: kajacx on June 03, 2018, 08:10:38 AM
Quote from: MaxFirestorm on June 03, 2018, 08:00:11 AM

Yea I was lazy to fix the long description issue, just copy it into a text editor on the side or something and then copy it back when you are done. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nah, it's no problem XD It amused me more than anything else.

Equinox

For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to add custom modules to my ships and get them into the game. Is there a step by step tutorial somewhere?

kajacx

Quote from: Equinox on June 23, 2018, 06:54:55 PM
For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to add custom modules to my ships and get them into the game. Is there a step by step tutorial somewhere?

I thoguht I made one, but I can't find it. First, you need a good understanding of PRPL, I wouldn't try to make custom modules unless I've written a few scripts.

As for the custom modules, reading this solution by planetfall is always a good start, since the custom modules in my editor build on top of that, by automating the Master script for example.

Also there is some info in the program under "Help -> "How to use Custom Modules". Finally, the newest version should also autocreate a module template to get you started, but I may have not uploaded that version yet.

Finally, you can also use custom modules from other people (after asking, of course), which could be a viable alternative if don't want to learn PRPL.

FOXX

Along with the Page from PlanetFall as mentioned above -> HERE is a detailed description on Custom Modules and HERE you can download my Custom Modules including Images and Scripts.

Greets
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

Equinox

First off, I'm not trying to make my own modules. I just want to figure out how to use modules others have made. At the moment, I'm just toying around with the custom modules that came with the custom ship editor, specifically the Mortar. I've read the links, as well as the brief help file provided in the ship maker. I'm trying to follow Foxx's instructions he had in his custom module topic.

Spoiler
1 - Put the ShipFile in your PF Ship Folder. (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\My Games\particlefleet\ships)
2 - Add all Scripts into the Script folder with the Map you want the Ship(s) in.
(C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\My Games\particlefleet\editor\MAPNAME)
3 - Add Images to the Map. [Images are Named according to the Image Sloth Name they go to]
4 - Make an Invisible PRPL Core outside the Map and Attach Master.prpl to the Core.
5 - Make a ShipPickup with the Ship you want. (or add the Ship to the Map)
6 - Run Game -> Pickup the Ship and Build your Ship. (or build from the ShipList) [Most Custom Modules take 30 Energy to Build so make sure you have enough of Energy to save time]
(or you can use "B" in the Editor for Instant Build)
[close]

Anyway, I got three script files. Shipmodule.prpl from the custom module thread, and two script files generated by the ship maker. zz_robot_Mortar and zz_adder_Mortar. The help file in the ship builder said that a 'moduleadder.prpl' it generates will serve as the master.prpl. I'm assuming in this case, it means the zz_adder_Mortar.

I've run into some issues. First off, when I go to add the image to the map, there's six categories that show up after I click the 'Custom Images' button in the map editor. (64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 64x64pp, 128x128pp, 256x256pp). I've no idea which category I should add the image to. I guessed the 64x64 one, since the mortar image itself was 64x64 pixels in size. It doesn't seem to be working though, as instead of the mortar images, theres just the default PRPL core graphics. Additionally, these PRPL core graphics are too big, and don't rotate with the ship when it turns.

Lastly, despite the graphics error, I tested the ship against some particulate, but the mortars weren't firing.

(Also, what's an Image Sloth? I assume it's a typo, and supposed to be Image Slot)

FOXX

The System that Kajacx uses in his Editor has different Scriptnames then my System. You are right about the zz_adder_Mortar -> That is the Master Script.
The zz_robot_Mortar is for putting the Module on a Shipspawner so for this Setup you don't need this Script.

The Mortar is not working because it needs a Script for the Module itself. Those Scripts are not generated but you can get those Module Scripts by Downloading a Custom Module Ship from me and The Scripts and Images are included in this Download (the Rar Files).

For instructions about the Images and things you might need to change in the Script (like Shipname and Image Location) Look HERE

Most Custom Module Images are 64x64 but also 128x128 and 256x256. You can check this by rightclick on an image -> Then Properties -> Then Details.
Details Image
[close]

The (Mortar) Module is 3x3 and it looks like your Ship in the Image above has only a 2x2 hull Section for the Module. Should be 3x3.

And yes -> Ship Sloth = Ship Slot. Sorry about that.

If you still have issues let me know.
Greets,
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!