3 Suggestions

Started by cclloyd9785, August 09, 2011, 06:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cclloyd9785

1.  Shield Repair Mode:  It requires constant supply while being repaired, like ammo, and while using this, you can repair shields health quicker and even keep them alive longer while creeper is attacking it.  You could set it to 3 repair levels, with each one requiring different amounts of energy, where the 3rd would require a lot, but could keep it alive during a creeper attack from 2-3 sides.

2.  Subcell movement - You can move to every 1/9th of a cell.  To use this though it would be you hold Ctrl (or command) for more percise movement.

3.  Multi select immobile units.  AFter I have all upgrades, I don't need tech domes and its annoying to destroy them all sometimes.  I also sometimes would just like to select multiple immobile units to destroy at once like shields. 

Ranakastrasz

1 : I thought of something like this, however, It would likely be innately imbalanced, and make it so that unless there are drones with the ability to one-hit shields, the creeper will be completely unable to gain ground. So I say no to this idea, as much as I want it, because it would unbalance the game. Build shields behind the shields that are going to fail instead.

2: Would be interesting, but would likely require recoding of the unit system to work, and I see no real benefit to being able to do this.

3. I like it, I would really like to be able to do this, and I have the same issue. I give my 100% support for this.

mpete

i like them, but number 1 would likely be to over powered and "devalue" old times-scores.
but other than that good.
sorry for any misspellings.
signed,mpete

Ranakastrasz

I understand the reasoning, But I still find the reluctance to *devalue* old scores irritating, since it makes any possibility to make any change to the game almost impossible.

Lord_Farin

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 09, 2011, 06:35:21 PM
I understand the reasoning, But I still find the reluctance to *devalue* old scores irritating, since it makes any possibility to make any change to the game almost impossible.
It is somehow fair to not alter the game mechanics too much now; I can imagine myself being annoyed seeing a lot of people solving that one previously hard map that took me ages easily. But for convenience methods (as the multiple selection tool) which could in principle be achieved by a lot of pausing and meticulous micromanagement, I see no problem.

In that latter category: I propose to make a waypoint functionality (say with the alt key) that allows you to define intermediate locations in the case you want to override the standard pathfinding algorithm.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: Lord_Farin on August 09, 2011, 06:40:42 PM
Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 09, 2011, 06:35:21 PM
It is somehow fair to not alter the game mechanics too much now; I can imagine myself being annoyed seeing a lot of people solving that one previously hard map that took me ages easily. But for convenience methods (as the multiple selection tool) which could in principle be achieved by a lot of pausing and meticulous micromanagement, I see no problem.

In that latter category: I propose to make a waypoint functionality (say with the alt key) that allows you to define intermediate locations in the case you want to override the standard pathfinding algorithm.

Now that would be useful, I have to support that as well. I think being able to tell a group of blasters to land anywhere, and it spreading them out all in the closest location to the target point, closest as in the blaster flies, rather than as the phantom flies (:p).
This would include closest to a sub-cell that was clicked (center being how it is currently) as well as walls (center around closest point(s))

cclloyd9785

Another big reasons for the subcell movement is more than once, There was ONE subcell of creeper, so I couldn't put it there or else it would die.

mthw2vc

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 09, 2011, 06:14:37 PM
1 : I thought of something like this, however, It would likely be innately imbalanced, and make it so that unless there are drones with the ability to one-hit shields, the creeper will be completely unable to gain ground. So I say no to this idea, as much as I want it, because it would unbalance the game. Build shields behind the shields that are going to fail instead.
Ridiculously overpowered. If you still want to repair a shield, you kill/convert the creeper around it, destroy it, then rebuild it.

Quote from: cclloyd9785 on August 09, 2011, 06:02:47 PM
2.  Subcell movement - You can move to every 1/9th of a cell.  To use this though it would be you hold Ctrl (or command) for more percise movement.
The game is not and never was intended to work in that way, and implementing it would require completely redoing a wide swath of code to allow for it.

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 09, 2011, 06:14:37 PM3. I like it, I would really like to be able to do this, and I have the same issue. I give my 100% support for this.
Quote from: virgilw on May 23, 2011, 02:19:09 PMSelecting non-movable structures is a bit of a pain to implement right now.  There are things scattered through the code that assume only movable units can be selected.  But, I know what you are saying.  I'll likely have to wait on implementing this since I would like for a new update to come out pretty soon with code maps.  Then I will immediately plunge into custom map support, and the real insanity will start Smiley

Now this is something I would really like to have if it could reasonably be implemented.

Kithros

The only way I could see repairing shields as a viable option would be if the shields took damage based on the density of creeper around them - but this would drastically change the use of shields and game balance, and truthfully it would pretty much just mimic repulsors at that point anyway. Being able to hold off an infinite amount of creeper for negligible energy cost just isn't a good idea as far as I'm concerned.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on August 10, 2011, 07:26:24 AM

Now this is something I would really like to have if it could reasonably be implemented.

+1
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

eudrick

I have noticed that damaged shields that contain AC will slowly heal themselves if they are not in contact with creeper.  
Handy, if you're planning on using them as fire walls later in the mission.
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

Grauniad

Any shield slowly heals.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

teengamer

In response to #3, I would like to be able to buy supplies (ore, energy) with any remaining tech points after buying all other upgrades.