Issue with pin fields and artificial gravity.

Started by Ranakastrasz, August 22, 2011, 09:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranakastrasz

I have a field of low power force fields, used for gravity simulation, because the direction varies throughout the map. I also have projectiles (moving pin fields that deactivate at their destination) However, The gravity fields rip parts of the projectiles off when the projectile passes through. I cannot figure out how to prevent this.

knucracker

You can't...
Pin fields get disrupted by directional fields.  I had to make a choice on how to handle this, and ended up going with the way it is.  The reason is that repulsors produce fields dynamically in the game (just like other fields).  I wanted repulsors to be able to 'melt' pin field structures (like the center box on 'Cubic').  Because of this, all direction fields take priority over all pin fields.

Now, normal 'gravity' on the map of course is a separate force and does not override pin fields.

Kithros

I believe you could have another field following the same path as the pin fields with the opposite direction as the fields around it to cancel out the fields - alternatively you could have a field following the pin field that surrounds it with stronger fields to keep any creeper from spilling out (the fields would still push the creeper around within the pin fields if that matters)

knucracker

Interesting ideas....  I'd not thought about a directional field that would cancel the disrupting directional field.

thepenguin

that's awesome!

also, virgil, any chance of "gravity scheduruling", so that this could be done without fields + cancellations
We have become the creeper...

knucracker

That's a possibility... I'll add it to the list.