<whine> S100-105 MICPIR Others beat it, why can't I? </whine>

Started by Nephthys, November 01, 2013, 02:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephthys

>:(    Can't get anywhere on this one. I see lots of scores, so it is definitely beatable.

This map floods with Creeper FAST. I can make it to one of the two Spore nests & take it out, but I can't even use the PZ because it is already deep in Creeper. After that it is just retreating until everything is gone.

Looked for a YouTube vid, but alas, no help there. I know I need to work it some OTHER way than usual, but I can't come up with anything. Too much C to use guppies anywhere & no time to build energy. I am doing something obviously wrong but I don't know what.

Are there situations where less is more, as in use only one Orbital?

Any clue would be much appreciated. I am truly embarrassed to ask for help on this one. It really aggravates me that I can't win a map that no one else seems to be having too much trouble with.

Grauniad

Ah! This is the save you uploaded! Not the Terraform issue save. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

Well, it doesn't seem particularly hard, and I didn't try for a really good score, but here's a series of screen captures.

It may also be viable (and quicker) to start at the top right.

I overbuilt somewhat, since in the end I didn't need any Spore towers.

Nephthys

Thanks for the help. I knew you wouldn't find it hard; I seem to be the only one having problems with this map. :-[   I have to take a lot of pain medication. Does that count as an excuse?  ???  I see a few other people have looked at your screen shots though, so maybe I am not alone in being drowned by Creeper on this one.

I could have sworn I attached the correct file with the terraform problem. Oops! I'll go back to that thread & post it there. This time I'll take a look at it before I post it instead of just assuming it is the correct file.

Nephthys

Once again I find myself unable to beat a level where many have succeeded. Similar situation as the earlier one you assisted with. I have tried several times. 1, 2, & 3 Orbiter scenarios.

Obviously, there is something wrong with my basic game play. There are a couple of scores under 10 mins on this map. I can't stay alive for 10 minutes. S100-182 MOLREPORT. 2 Spore nests & several (4 maybe?) fast emitters.

I don't understand how guppies can be utilized since they explode in C just like anything else. How are players getting nullify-ers to an area that is so quickly buried in C? I would LOVE to see a vid of the game of the player that has this level beat in 6 mins +.  Just to LEARN! Because clearly, my education is sorely lacking when it comes to challenging levels.  

I realize you are very busy helping others besides me. But when you have a chance, advice would be greatly appreciate.

WHILE I AM ADDRESSING THESE REMARKS TO GRAUNIAD, I'LL TAKE SOME ADVICE FROM ANYONE WILLING TO DEAL WITH MY STUPIDITY!!

EDIT:  I've been thinking. Always scary. I've come to the conclusion that many, many maps are simply beyond my skill level.

Take this video. It's short. 1:44 I think. It is AWESOME. Maybe you've seen it. (It is not a CW3 map, but that is not relevant here.) No matter how long I play, I will NEVER be able to do that. Or more importantly, THINK of doing that.

CW3 is simply a different animal. Perhaps it was partially designed for those who found 1 & 2 too easy after playing them for a while. While I can certainly appreciate that mentality, it makes me a little sad. I had hoped to keep playing this game for a long time. And while there are plenty of maps in The Prospector Zone I can play, the easy ones are starting to become tedious. It seems they are much too easy or much too hard and not a whole lot in between.

So, I'm going to take a break for a while. When I'm not so saturated with playing CW3, I'll enjoy playing the easy maps again. And that's okay. There are plenty of games that are beyond my skill level. I'll just have to add some of CW3's maps to those games. (Apologies for the length of this comment!)

Grayzzur

A few tips I can think of:

Watch your energy. If your bar is red, you're building too much at once. Deactivate some items. If your bar is half green or higher, you probably need to be building something.

Blasters and Mortars can survive in creeper for a bit. I use this on maps like these and build an extra Mortar (disarmed). When it's full, I send it off to a location deep in creeper and arm it in flight. On this map, there's a small plateau on the upper right where you can land it, and the creeper is thin enough that it survives long enough to empty it's ammo into the thick of creeper. Once empty, I return it to my base and disarm it in flight to reload and heal. Rinse and repeat. This reduces the pressure of the creeper on your Blasters trying to hold the line on your base.

Another strategy I use on maps where I'm starving for energy early on and fighting spores is to over-build Beams. I ended up with 8 on this map. The extra Beams provide extra storage for extra ammo when you can't charge them up fast enough before the next wave.

Guppies do require a beachhead to land. Sometimes you can land some blasters, mortars, shields, sprayers -- some combination of these.. and land the guppies in the middle right behind them after a small patch has been cleared. I didn't use Guppies on this map. I established a base along the bottom with two CN's, and once my energy wasn't bad pushed up the middle to the first spore tower with a mortar and a few blasters and a shield. Stuck a blaster on the PZ, and took the emitter next to it, secured that spot and put a nullifer in that PZ to take out the other spore tower and emitter, then mop up.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Grauniad

Quote from: Nephthys on November 03, 2013, 10:17:23 PM

Take this video.

I see your mthw2vch video and I raise you by . :)

There has indeed been awesome players over the years. I recall the "race to the bottom" on one of the CW1 island maps. There was a German guy (his name started with an "S", but I don't recall it now) that was absolutely phenomenal. His times are probably still on that map.

I think that the generated worlds - Prospector Zone and Tormented Space - has a high frustration level for players at various skill levels. Once one masters a play style at a certain degree of difficulty, it is exceedingly frustrating to encounter a series of maps that are just out of reach. At the same time it them becomes boring to play easier maps. What a dilemma.

It's not so bad with custom maps, since they are not linked in the same way that inhibitor maps prevent access to further maps. And the DMD remains a beacon of light in that one can generate with relative easy a fun map, play it and make it a little harder or easier.

Having said that, the map you mentioned was tricky. I had to restart 3 times and even so my times are way off - so I don't see the optimal placement.

Before I post a series of images, let me reiterate what the preceding poster said. All CW games are all about energy. Focus on energy over weapons for as long as possible. Make sure that as far as possible, your weapons have enough energy to keep firing. They don't have to be full, but they should be able to fire when needed. Sometimes a backup weapon  (to protect the front-line weapons) is a good idea.

AC is remarkably effective (despite a few vocal protesters)  to counter a large area of thin creeper  - even if only one ore mine is available.

Also, in case Virgil ever reads this -  That PC targeting algorithm Nemo and I talked you into has now several times bitten me really hard. A Chinese  curse if ever there was one: May your wishes be granted. :)

Now on to the images.

Nephthys

Thank you both for your time & input. I will give it another go armed with your advice. Maybe even more than one go. But if I can't beat it, so be it. Can't win 'em all.  :)

Ceraus

Quote from: Nephthys on November 03, 2013, 10:17:23 PM
There are a couple of scores under 10 mins on this map. I can't stay alive for 10 minutes. S100-182 MOLREPORT. I would LOVE to see a vid of the game of the player that has this level beat in 6 mins +.  Just to LEARN!

Well I wasn't able to beat it that fast. I also can't make videos, but I sure can take screenshots!

First, I tried attacking from the right, thinking that the high ground would protect me. It somewhat worked, but I had to defend the left on a wide front to keep my Collectors alive. I eventually had to give ground over there and only got 8:07.

General, non-exhaustive tips:

• Especially at first, keep Energy low (but not negative).
  • If you need Energy once you have weapons, stop their resupply temporarily.
  • Get comfortable with the hotkeys. You'll constantly pause/unpause, select all units of one type and  manage activation and resupply. I use Space as pause/unpause, right-click to cancel and middle-mouse to scroll.
  • Never build a Reactor before filling all secure space with Collectors (even a Collector with 1/4 of its max coverage beat a Reactor).
  • When you have limited Anti-Creeper, use it to defend and push with Shields.
  • The Alpha Sector is much better practice, but some missions are broken, too tough or confusing. Find the "Best of the Alpha Sector" topic to know what you're getting into.
  • On Inhibitor missions, make a beeline for it if at all possible. That's how I got 3:12 on Micpir.

Back to Molreport. Second time, I planned using the top-left high ground as the attacking route.

• 0m03 - I only build 1 Collector per Command Node. The top CN is there for the Artifact; the deactivated Collectors will surround it later on, when I move it.
  • 0m23 - The Artifact is grabbed just as the Collector explodes. My Collector network has grown fast; I keep Energy between -1 and 3 at all times.
  • 1m07 - I've extended the network all the way to the right, Cannons are firing and Anti-Creeper is coming. The network is done for now, so I make a Reactor with the extra Energy.
  • 2m39 - A Forge is almost done; I keep switching Resupply on and off on my weapons to manage Energy until it solves my problems. I'm readying two Shields for assault.
  • 4m03 - The assault is under way.
  • 5m06 - The first Nullifier is dropped. From now on, I dump my Aether in Build Speed.
  • 6m30 - The other targets being so close, I put a Shield on the Power Zone. What few weapons I had at the bottom-right managed to gain some ground, so I send reinforcements and move a CN closer so that Packets reach the Nullifier quicker. I finish at 7:19.

Were I to try again, I'd go back to my first strategy, but I wouldn't waste so much Energy protecting the left side of the map.

Ceraus

Yeah, that was the trick, although I kind of forgot I had the Convert Artifact until near the end.

5:35!

Nephthys

Yet again, I owe thanks to your comments for the assistance! ( I was raised to say "Thank You". I can't help it!  :) )

Appreciate that you took the time to explain in detail how to beat this level quickly. Or just to beat it at all. I truly want to learn & these four responses that have been posted about Molreport have taught me quite a bit.

I have found this site's forum in particular to be especially helpful when it comes to game specifics. So nice to have a place to go where people are friendly & don't mind sharing their techniques to those of us who would love some tutoring on the more challenging maps.

Sincerely,
Nephthys

Ceraus

No problem at all; guess you're used to MOBA communities?

And I can't overstate how helpful the Alpha Sector can be; it taught me something new about Berthas yesterday.

Cohiba

I have had to step up my game for some maps.  I'm really bad at multi tasking and one thing that seemed to be required for this map was to multi task.   Granted I have a SLOW time for this map but I beat it and said WHEW.  I do what I call my Maginot line on this map.  I landed two orbiters where most people do.   Then I dropped one in the upper right.  my goal was to protect the high ground and the back pocket and come down on the right side.  But energy management is key especially when your addicted to terps like me and actually build walls :)the line of collectors along the back gave me enough of a energy boost to secure my foot hold with mortars and cannons while I walled my self in.  Like I said no time breaking performance as i'm a slow and steady sort of person and my favorite tactic is build a lvl 10 pier to my objectives with terps and plenty of reactors.  Just an unconventional way.  Another way is similar to the tactics i've seen others use again dropped down in the same locations and built out my collectors, but the right side and back line of collectors that gave me a engergy boost to secure the left and take out the spore tower early were all expendable and no efforts were made to save them or protect them.