What's the popularity of a survival map

Started by Sorrontis, August 28, 2015, 03:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorrontis

I'm starting to making Creeper's Revenge Part 7. I'm thinking of making it a survival map (aka, survive 45 minutes, or destroy all emitters) to win. You lose if a special unit gets destroyed.

Is this popular? Do people like this? Let me know!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

J

Finding a good balance is very hard on a survival map. Good players will easily destroy all emitters while not so good people often lose very quickly. Unless you have a great idea that makes it easier for bad players and harder for good players, it is not recommended. Destroying all emitters will be the main goal for most people and only a few will wait for the 45 minute goal (if they can survive). Making it progressively harder will benefit the very good players who will win before it gets hard.
Advise: focus on expert players only or make it a normal mission, or both ;D

Sorrontis

Quote from: J on August 28, 2015, 05:33:33 PM
Spoiler
Finding a good balance is very hard on a survival map. Good players will easily destroy all emitters while not so good people often lose very quickly. Unless you have a great idea that makes it easier for bad players and harder for good players, it is not recommended. Destroying all emitters will be the main goal for most people and only a few will wait for the 45 minute goal (if they can survive).
[close]
Making it progressively harder will benefit the very good players who will win before it gets hard.
Advise: focus on expert players only or make it a normal mission, or both ;D

Unless it starts hard and gets easier?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

warren

I think the main reason there are not too many survival maps is they are hard to make from a technical perspective. A good one probably has non-nullifiable emitters (and ones with images). Also, if we are talking about time-limit survival, 45 minutes seems too long.

Maybe give the users some score earning bonus, a dangerous emitter that if nullified multiplies the others, but reduces the time to wait slightly.

Sorrontis

Quote from: warren on August 28, 2015, 07:55:47 PM
I think the main reason there are not too many survival maps is they are hard to make from a technical perspective. A good one probably has non-nullifiable emitters (and ones with images). Also, if we are talking about time-limit survival, 45 minutes seems too long.

Maybe give the user's some score earning bonus, a dangerous emitter that if nullified multiplies the others, but reduces the time to wait slightly.

Oh, that sounds like a great idea!

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Sorrontis on August 28, 2015, 03:10:35 PM
I'm starting to making Creeper's Revenge Part 7. I'm thinking of making it a survival map (aka, survive 45 minutes, or destroy all emitters) to win. You lose if a special unit gets destroyed.

Is this popular? Do people like this? Let me know!

The survival mode is an interesting throwback to the dawn of video games, where you didn't complete a game, or finish it - it simply ramped up until it killed you.

I still remember the first time I saw a game for sale on eBay because the seller had 'completed' it.

Trying to imagine myself selling my Creeper World games because I 'completed' them...
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.