[Request] Make [n]key frame advance repeat if held down

Started by Amram, March 17, 2014, 08:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amram

In CW2, if I was trying to improve my times, I tended to play almost entirely paused using frame advance.

Thing is, in CW2 it wasn't nearly as tedious a prospect as it is in CW3. I could hold down [n] and after a moment of delay i'd get pretty much normal speed until I let go, at which point the game again awaited either unpausing or the [n] key.  This let me skip through short moments where I didn't need the frame by frame, without having to actually unpause.

Pause/unpause works too, but this functions as more of a dead man switch, and i found it more fluid than using pause itself.

In CW3, [n] still performs a frame advance, but it ignores being held down.  You must press for every frame you want to advance by, there is no optional hold for continued frame advance.

Any chance of seeing that CW2 behaviour in CW3 someday?

miquelfire

I think the reason it worked in CW2 was that AIR was using the OS's key repeat system, but Unity doesn't (as most games don't need such a feature), so I assume V would have to manually program this into the game.

knucracker

That's definitely the reason.  But it also isn't too hard to make it work.  So in the next build you will be able to press N to single step or hold N to run at the natural rate (after a delay of half a second).

teknotiss

Quote from: virgilw on March 17, 2014, 10:13:06 AM
That's definitely the reason.  But it also isn't too hard to make it work.  So in the next build you will be able to press N to single step or hold N to run at the natural rate (after a delay of half a second).

WOOOOOOO! :D
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Clean0nion

By natural rate, do you mean 30fps or based on the computer's processing speed?

knucracker

30 fps.  If you hold down "N" the game will run at 30 fps (as if the game were not paused).