Where did you get stuck? (Arc Missions)

Started by Duomaxwel, October 05, 2013, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duomaxwel

I keep hearing of this dreaded Farbor... I have to go there as soon as I get unstuck with Krig. Digitalis is usually my undoing..

Grauniad

Here is some redacted advice I posted in chat on how to approach Farbor. Maybe it's helpful to others as well.

(17:04:35) Grauniad: There are two stages
(17:04:45) Grauniad: the first stage is pre-completion of the unit

(17:05:02) Grauniad: this can be delayed bu some amount if you can kill the harvesters fast enough. Harvesters can be killed by snipers.

(17:05:37) Grauniad: but this strategy is probably hardest, since you have to take all the remote ore collection sites
(17:05:57) Grauniad: It's not a serious strategy. :)
(17:06:51) Grauniad: you can, if you can multitask, place a CN on the top island and collect ore and build a Forge up there as well as use  the lower island in both a strategy that can aim for take-out in phase 1 or phase 2.

(17:07:18) Grauniad: take out the emitter on both the top island and the lower island.

(17:07:50) Grauniad: use the PZ on the lower island as a long-range Relay that can reach all the way to the mainland.

(17:09:09) Grauniad: build about two Sprayers that you can charge to their max (50), about 3-8 Pulse Cannon and 4 Mortars if you are planning for casualties.

(17:10:21) Grauniad: Check where the relay will connect on the mainland (try the higher level of ground. Carefully drop the two sprayers and half your invasion force around it.
(17:10:47) Grauniad: keep the other half in reserve - start flying them over after the others are half-way there.

(17:11:07) Grauniad: as soon as you clear any ground, build the relay.
(17:12:04) Grauniad: now you're set for the battle of your life... if you are going for a stage2 victory, ignore the building pad for the vessel, but take out the emitter and spore towers and charge towards the top structure.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Valley

Quote from: Grauniad on October 05, 2013, 06:46:46 PM

(17:05:02) Grauniad: this can be delayed bu some amount if you can kill the harvesters fast enough. Harvesters can be killed by snipers.

Wish I would have known about this.. Probably would have made it a lot easier..

Valley

Quote from: TonyP2000 on October 05, 2013, 11:02:33 AM
Quote from: Shrike30 on October 05, 2013, 06:24:30 AM
Stuck?  The game came out *today* and people are stuck? :)

Finished up the Arc (far too late at night, but yeah).  Good times :D

I had this game for over a year (well technically story missions were completed in the last few months) and I still never beat. To see that people have already beat in one day says a lot lol.

It took me about 2-3 restarts to get a feel for it.. Then it was all about strategy, timing, and energy.

I fought on two fronts, top left and bottom right.. It maybe was a waste of time.. But the energy I collected from it helped me build up reactors and untimely, tons of berthas.. Even with all the firepower I had, I barely got by, with it being at 99%..

Helper

Quote from: Cruster on October 05, 2013, 05:03:49 PM
Navox Tiplex is giving me some trouble. I can't seem to stem the flow to get at those nodes. Bombing didn't seem to have much effect, the sprayer(s) seem unable to stem the flow. I've tried Terping which holds back the flow for a while and then I get over run again!

Any tips ?  :)  (will be gratefully received)

The key (for me) was setting up on the right side and building a good spread of Collectors. You will get the second CN within a few seconds and can immediately drop it on the left side and start another spread.

You will have plenty of time to build the weapons you need - but getting that second CN going was the key for me.

Spoiler
Keep in mind that when you destroy at target, you create a Power Zone (PZ). Any piece you place in a PZ has vastly increased powers and range...including Nullifiers.
[close]

EDIT:
Tried to insert a .jpg into the Spoiler function, but can't figure it out. I think I've seen others do that before.
H

teknotiss

Quote from: Helper on October 05, 2013, 08:27:12 PM
EDIT:
Tried to insert a .jpg into the Spoiler function, but can't figure it out. I think I've seen others do that before.
H

you can use a site like imgur etc to get a forum hosting code that you can copy and paste into the spoiler. if you can do it with the forums tools i dunno how  ::)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

hapes

Farbor strategy that I used, ended with 76% on stage 2:

Spoiler

This is a stage 2 victory.  Ignore the ships taking ore from the mines.  I didn't use any AC at all, so don't bother with the ore mines.

Two command nodes.  One in upper left, one in lower right.  Keep the time rate slow, it will give you time to think. 
On each island, build collectors slowly.  This is more efficient than spamming, because the power from the earlier collectors speeds construction of the later collectors.  This is common CW tactics.  Be careful that the creeper doesn't overwhelm.  Once you get about 8 collectors, you better start throwing down some cannons.  4 will hold the creeper off, toss a mortar in once you have built your power network.  Don't forget the beams, to stop incoming air attacks.  Knock out the emitters, clean up the islands, finish your network.

On the lower island, put a relay in the PZ.  On the upper island, put a Bertha in the PZ.  Build a Bertha on the lower island, but not in the PZ.  Focus both Berthas on the point on the main island where you have determined a relay can go (a little inland of that, so it's most effective).  Build up a landing force of maybe 10-15 cannons, several mortars.  Snipers will help when you head up to the air defense tower, but aren't necessary right away.  An extra anti-air weapon will help, because if the air towers hit your relay or any points near it, you'll have to re-do, and maybe miss. 

Ship this landing force over to the point on the island where the relay will be, making sure to leave room for the relay.  Once you start sending, start placing the relay in the spot until it actually sticks.  Your ships will run out of juice, but if you built enough of them, they'll hold the creeper off until the relay is built, and then the assault force will be powered.  Build north to where you can take out the air defense tower (whatever it's called).  Use your Berthas to help clear the path.

While that's building, on BOTH islands, throw down a TON of guppies.  I had about 10 per island, maybe more.  Also build another assault force, maybe twice the size of the initial force.

Once the air defense tower is gone, the FINAL BATTLE begins.

Ship ALL assault forces to the build site.  Once they're about halfway there, send all your guppies to points around the perimeter, so the assault force can have power.  An important point:  make room for a nullifier by the build site, and make sure a guppy can feed packets to that site.  As with the relay before, you may lose some ships, and you may lose some guppies, but there should be enough to hold the line long enough to get the nullifier to fire. 

And that's that!
[close]

Locclo

I seem to be stuck on Krig. It's not a matter of it being too hard, it's a matter of me not knowing what in the bleeding hell I'm supposed to do to finish the map. There are no new techs for the world, and the only thing I got from Lia was that she didn't know how you were going to deal with the thing floating in space...

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Karsten75

Quote from: Locclo on October 05, 2013, 11:47:00 PM

Probably. How about killing "the thing in space?" :)

Locclo

Quote from: Karsten75 on October 06, 2013, 12:09:30 AM

Well no kidding. But how do I do it? I can't exactly build things in space with no ground, and I can't construct ground on space with terps.

BGMFH

Quote from: Locclo on October 06, 2013, 12:33:44 AM

Well no kidding. But how do I do it? I can't exactly build things in space with no ground, and I can't construct ground on space with terps.

Start in Top left, expand your network, build defenses, etc.

Bottom left corner of the large continent will let a mortar hit the SW island

The emitters floating in space are all on floating islands, and leave PZs.

I used the one between the SW island and the SE mainland as a PZ'd relay point.

Somewhere (2 spots) on the SE mainland are places where a nullifier can hit an emitter if placed carefully.

A nullifier placed on a PZ has a huge range.

Good luck!

Locclo

Quote from: BGMFH on October 06, 2013, 12:41:33 AM
Quote from: Locclo on October 06, 2013, 12:33:44 AM

Start in Top left, expand your network, build defenses, etc.

Bottom left corner of the large continent will let a mortar hit the SW island

The emitters floating in space are all on floating islands, and leave PZs.

I used the one between the SW island and the SE mainland as a PZ'd relay point.

Somewhere (2 spots) on the SE mainland are places where a nullifier can hit an emitter if placed carefully.

A nullifier placed on a PZ has a huge range.

Good luck!

Wow, I have no idea how I missed that - for some reason I got it in my head that those spore towers were just floating in space. I kept thinking that I must have been missing a tech that would let me do something with space.

Thanks!

Cruster

Quote from: Helper on October 05, 2013, 08:27:12 PM
The key (for me) was setting up on the right side and building a good spread of Collectors. You will get the second CN within a few seconds and can immediately drop it on the left side and start another spread.

You will have plenty of time to build the weapons you need - but getting that second CN going was the key for me.

Spoiler
Keep in mind that when you destroy at target, you create a Power Zone (PZ). Any piece you place in a PZ has vastly increased powers and range...including Nullifiers.
[close]

EDIT:
H

Thanks Helper :D I did it! - CW3 is so addictive. I was up waaaay too late last night ;D

Helper

@Cruster -
Glad to help and glad you made it.
As far as that 'waaaay too late' part...at least you're in good company.
:)

Hairball

If you're still having trouble with Farbor, here's a little help:

Spoiler

[Edit: combined the two strategies I mentioned and added a screenshot]

At the very very beginning, I put two CNs at the bottom of the main island as far to the right as they will go.  Then I put a nullifier placed precisely so it will take out the bottom right ore processor and the spore tower at the same time.  Right under it, I placed a cannon and under that two collectors.   If you do it just right, the cannon becomes active long enough to protect the nullifier until it's done (I have tried this with only one CN there and it doesn't finish in time, you need two working together briefly).  

With the third one, put it at the top right of the mainland right near the ... whatever the thing that makes runners is called.  Put two collectors down to the right and then one nullifier.  The collectors help you get enough power in time -- and the topmost collector also serves to take the 'stun' instead of your nullifier if you make sure it's closer to the runners. 

Voila, you've taken out 1/4th of the ore processing, half the spores and half the runners and have two PZs to use later. 

After:

[close]