Can CRPL cores act as relays?

Started by Argonwolf, August 18, 2018, 01:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argonwolf

Is there any way to get CRPL towers to act as relays, extending the network and connecting to each other? Other than hiding a relay underneath their sprite, of course.

Grabz

A CRPL core can have the CONST_CONNECTABLE attribute set, which will allow it to be connected to the network, but the range cannot exceed the default range, and I don't believe cores will connect off of each other. As far as CRPL network involvement, this is it.

There is a bug with vanilla units where if you change their position with CONST_COORDX/Y attributes they will not fully update to their new position, so they "stick" to the old position as far as network and cell occupation goes, but will render at the new position as far as they think and are seen by other units. For example, with one relay at (1,1) and another at (1,4), if you move the other relay anywhere on the map with attributes, they will always connect, because the game still thinks the relay is at (1,4), but the relay is now elsewhere.

However, for longer maps, I would advise not to use this, as the units will update to their new position fully when the game is saved and loaded, breaking your whole plan. In general I would not advise using it as it's buggy behavior, but it's part of the game and is always going to be so I figured I'd mention it. There's a good demonstration of this effect on Colonial Space map #5781 (Bad train) where regular units are moved along a certain path after being built, but you will notice that the "extra-long" relay connection breaks as soon as you try saving and loading your game.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

Argonwolf

Well crap. There goes my plan. On a related note, is it possible to make relays NOT die instantly when hit with creeper without building walls around them/deleting nearby creeper?

GoodMorning

Also no - Collectors, Relays, Reactors will die of a single scratch.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.