Hardest Tormented Space maps

Started by florrat, October 12, 2013, 06:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Farin

Quote from: Katra on November 15, 2013, 03:01:22 PM
S200-107 Danmags goes in the hard list.

Two scores over 2 hours, and me flying through it at just over an hour.

Not too bad a spot to start; but it's a narrow strip of land and you'll have to fight your way out over some really rough ground or bridge a gap that's just wider than mortar range (and no totems until you've advanced quite a ways.)

(sorry; no screenshot.)
It's a bit of a slog, but it's not hard. Blasted through in just over 30 minutes. Advanced, well-timed strategies can probably cut a further third off of that time.

Spoiler
Be sure to start well left on the narrow strip -- it saves heaps of packet travel seconds.
[close]
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

12345ieee

S200_119 (9,1): Madotis (I)
It is probably impossible (or at least very hard).
It has no score submitted until now and creeper overruns your position in less than one minute.
Below there are screens at 0, 1 and 2 minutes in.

Some info for your 1st post:

Hard:
S200_2 (2,1): Midmiraiad (No inibitor)
S200_29 (5,4): Lostrakus (No inibitor)
S200_72 (8,5): Igolurgla (Inibitor)

Very hard:
S200_64 (5,2): Bradsometum (imp?) (Inibitor)

Impossible(?):
S200_101 (6,3): Jovencoting  (Inibitor)
S200_169 (0,0): Paraisoer  (Inibitor)
S200_74 (4,6): Furham (No inibitor)

allu

florrat

Thanks for the info, updated the first post.

That maps looks indeed really hard and at least near the border of impossible. You have a little time to build up, though... There are possible maps where the creeper reaches you CN within 2 minutes (wherever you put your CN). But the fact that you have to defend (almost) flat terrain hurts, and that bit of digitalis on your level is also bad...

It's only so far away... I haven't reached any solar system at the right half of the screen yet.  :-\

florrat

I just tried
S200_162 (2,8): Shepiso (I)
which was reported to be impossible by Lord_Farin. I'm not sure whether it is possible to win this map, but it is definitely possible to get a stalemate and to survive for a very long time. It is not hard to defend the CN-plateau, you just need to build a pulse cannon early (after 2nd collector). That single pulse cannon can defend for more than 4 minutes, and with a second pulse cannon you can already survive at least 30 minutes.

So you have a lot of time (after you built the first pulse cannon), but incredible little space. You can only place 8 units around your CN. If you start hovering your CN, then you can get 19 building spots, but that requires a lot of micromanagement. But I think that if this map is possible, any solution will involve a lot of micromanagement.

Lord_Farin

Quote from: florrat on November 26, 2013, 01:22:24 AM
I just tried
which was reported to be impossible by Lord_Farin. I'm not sure whether it is possible to win this map, but it is definitely possible to get a stalemate and to survive for a very long time. It is not hard to defend the CN-plateau, you just need to build a pulse cannon early (after 2nd collector). That single pulse cannon can defend for more than 4 minutes, and with a second pulse cannon you can already survive at least 30 minutes.

So you have a lot of time (after you built the first pulse cannon), but incredible little space. You can only place 8 units around your CN. If you start hovering your CN, then you can get 19 building spots, but that requires a lot of micromanagement. But I think that if this map is possible, any solution will involve a lot of micromanagement.
Most interesting. The only viable way to go from here that I can see, is to build a forge. It is just possible to reach the totem in the top right without losing connection to the platform. I didn't build optimally, so I didn't manage to get enough useful firepower on the "entry" to actually start expanding beyond the platform (yet it was close).

Energy efficiency upgrades allow for destroying some reactors to gain space for weapons. Upgrading range is a bad idea: one shot at the digitalis arm and you're toast. Hope that helps.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Katra

Quote from: 12345ieee on November 25, 2013, 12:07:51 AM
S200_119 (9,1): Madotis (I)
It is probably impossible (or at least very hard).

I believe impossible. I tried several times and was consistently getting completely overrun at about 4 minutes. I was able to get the conversion AOO but using it didn't gain me much.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

RockyRaccoon

S200_29 (4,6?): Ragworth

Seems like it might be possible but it is very hard to get started. No posted times yet.

orzelek

Quote from: Godsbrother on November 13, 2013, 09:43:29 PM
S200_138 Jupnale(I).    Either very hard, or impossible.  I've managed to last 9 minutes, but always get overwhelmed.  No one has finished it yet.

I agree on this one. It has 2 submitted scores now but I would really like to see how they did it. Esp the very short time one.

florrat

S200_29: Ragworth is definitely possible. I haven't completed it yet, but in the attached screenshot you'll see that I managed to get a steady foothold.

I've also tried S200_138 Jupnale, and I couldn't figure out on the first try how to do it. Haven't tried really hard yet, though.

Also, @Godsbrother: Congrats on completing S200_178 Khanxis. I've tried that one multiple times, and couldn't manage to get a foothold. That one is really hard. I'll definitely try again, but so far I haven't even survived until the very first spore wave (luckily there aren't that many spores).

EDIT: Finished Ragworth in just under 30 minutes. I can post more screenshots if anyone is interested.

florrat

I just got a steady foothold on Jupnale. I will post more screenshots after I completed it (later this week)

florrat

I really should be learning for an exam on Thursday... Stupid procrastination...

I finished the map, and here are some screenshots. The posted time of 18 minutes is fast, but probably possible. My time could be improved by going directly for the inhibitor (I didn't realize it was an inhibitor map until after I nullified the first emitter).

Rowdy

S200_2 Fantolet

Pain in the tail.  over run very quickly.  Longest survival so far only a few minutes via terp but not enough time to build a sufficient defense before spores come.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

orzelek

Thanks for the Jupnale things I'll try to do it :D

Next nominees are:
S200_158 Penbor
S200_158 Ragcarden
S200_158 Redstrictald

All of those have time posted by Neho and no-one else.

I tried to do Jupnale.. can't do that even with hint screen-shots - when I'm doing that I have less power then you on screens and also that 4 mortars plus cannon do not manage to defend the command center and it retreats.

florrat

I just completed
I think I can safely say that it was the hardest map I've ever completed so far. It was definitely the one where I had to micromanage most. Thanks for your suggestion to build a forge, LF, that was a good idea (although you can probably also do it with just reactors. With such a small economy a forge is actually pretty expensive to maintain). I also used NFITC1's idea to power remote totems (and most importantly, the Mass AoO)

@Rowdy: That is the largest probably-impossible map I've seen. Usually maps of that size are pretty easy. Nice find! I'm afraid I cannot help you to complete it. I can survive about 4 minutes myself, and see no way to make that time significantly longer. I didn't use any terps, though. In my 4th screenshot is my best attempt.

When you say you survived a few minutes with terp, did you survive in the same location as I did? Or further down (I had more trouble there, but I can see why terps can be useful there).

@orzelek: As you can see in the second screenshot of my previous post, my solution for Jupnale was very tight in the beginning. The creeper was already piling up to the plateau. You should be able to defend your CN at the top for quite a while with 3-4 mortars. Make sure your mortars don't shoot at creeper too far away from your starting plateau. I'll add (and later try) your nominees!