Weekly 5-Map Tournament – Experimental Week - closing 17 Feb 2013

Started by ea3401, February 11, 2013, 01:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helper

Quote from: mopa42 on February 18, 2013, 12:03:13 AM
...Only two people able to complete all maps!

Even worse, only 9 players posting a total of only 31 scores - the lowest participation I've seen.

ctuna

Quote from: Helper on February 18, 2013, 05:39:19 AM
Quote from: mopa42 on February 18, 2013, 12:03:13 AM
...Only two people able to complete all maps!

Even worse, only 9 players posting a total of only 31 scores - the lowest participation I've seen.
For me, it was the frustration of running from the drones and the flood of creeper at the beginning of each mission. Tedious. Took more time and restarts than I had patience. Also, seeing some of ea's times left me discouraged - don't see how to do that well.

ea3401

Quote from: ctuna on February 18, 2013, 12:02:32 AM
Quote from: ea3401 on February 13, 2013, 06:50:40 PM
I used the dark beam to clean the top area from time to time, while I was building a second base on left side.

Congratulations, ea3401. I'd love to see how you got the dark beam to function effectively with so little energy on the right side, and how you got from the pictured status to completion in the next 2 minutes. I must be missing some basic concepts here.

Hard to explain. Have you seen smileys video?
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=12005.msg84572#msg84572

Of course the classic video about efficiency is this one:

Helper

@ea3401,
You missed my point entirely.

If the purpose of your game selection was to showcase your own ability and discourage participation, you succeeded admirably. Posting links to videos of other games might provide some generic insight to the concept, but do nothing to help those trying to figure out how to complete the list of games you created.

ctuna

Thanks for the reminder, ea3401. I have of course seen Smiley's video, but had forgotten how effective he was in reducing even the heaviest creeper with the "jumping mirror" trick. I had not seen yours, using on-off dark beam techniques. Thanks for both.

ea3401

UpperKEES

Quote from: ctuna on February 18, 2013, 03:37:21 PM
using on-off dark beam techniques

What do you consider more tedious? CW1 bridging, or CW2 DB pulsating?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

deety42

Just a chime in re. the maps...only reason I didn't finish was that I was out of town after Thursday.  I do hate evading drones and creep at the beginning, but I figure that's just a personal preference.  Congrats to the excellent playing that did happen.  I'm going to study those posted vids...