Custom Map #7877: CREEPER SNOW (777). By: yum234

Started by AutoPost, November 18, 2019, 10:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #7877: CREEPER SNOW (777)

Author: yum234
Size: 144x144

Desc:
In coming winter Creeper snow can falling. Depends on You. Very glad that this CORKY BIG map contains 777 inside map's number :) Enjoy please and Good lu!

yum-forum

One more possible name of map was:
Lord of Creeper Snow  :)
Player can prevent Creeper Snow at the beginning of game and control Anti-Creeper Snow later.

Good lu!
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Twi

It was interesting for a bit, but I feel the gimmick at the very least isn't well suited to CSM stuff because its randomness goes against the puzzley nature of the format. I might make the case that it's not that well suited to compelling gameplay in general, just because of the all-or-nothing nature of it, but that's a different question.

I think the map did its best to get use out of the mechanic, to be fair, but at the end of the day I kind of just factored it out and didn't feel like it added to my experience.

Just my $0.02!
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

chwooly

Quote from: Twi on November 18, 2019, 06:28:59 PM
It was interesting for a bit, but I feel the gimmick at the very least isn't well suited to CSM stuff because its randomness goes against the puzzley nature of the format. I might make the case that it's not that well suited to compelling gameplay in general, just because of the all-or-nothing nature of it, but that's a different question.

I think the map did its best to get use out of the mechanic, to be fair, but at the end of the day I kind of just factored it out and didn't feel like it added to my experience.

Just my $0.02!

100% agree about AC Rain, Not even sure how to control it, It was just another visual distraction with little to no benefit and it made trying to keep red towers turned off to much work. If I have to pause to play it is not a good map. And I will keep harping about the spores and spore enhancer, I still don't understand how it is adds anything to the game play, I didn't use the enhancers until the very end and even with all of them powered the spore is still too weak to even turn an emmiter that is only producing 45 creep.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

toolforger

I had the same experience. In fact the AC rain activated all the bad towers and crystals,  and avoiding that is one of the subgoals on a CSM map for me. It wasn't that bad in the end, and the map mostly played itself, which some will find nice and some will find annoying :-)

There's one unintented (I believe) issue with the factory, however.
It starts to count down by 1 per packet, and 0.1 per second (once the area is saturated).
However, that 0.1 is in reality 0.10000000000000000555 (see https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/floatingpoint.html for more background).
Which means that you are subtracting a little bit more than 0.1 from the remaining energy, and below 1 remaining energy, the CN will stop sending packets and you'll have to wait for another 9(!) seconds till the bomb is produced.
Ways around this:
1) The problem with 0.1 is that there is a factor of 0.2 in it, which has infinite fractional digits in binary (which is what CW uses for storing energy values). Use only fractions that are powers of 2: 0.5, 0.25, 0.125; you can also use values like 0.625 since it is 0.5+0.125, sums like that are fine.
2) Make the store improve health not by 0.1 but by a value slightly below 0.1. CW does not display the true value but one that's rounded to the nearest multiple of 0.0000001 or so; you need to have a 0.999999 (or so) value that gets rounded to nice integral value during display (the stored value will be slightly too large but it will be just one healing cycle during which the factory will display "0" but really be 0.00000000015892234... or something like that).
3) Store the fractional part of the energy in a separate variable. Add 1 to the factory's energy whenever the fractional part exceeds 1. Make sure that the healing goes to the fractional part. (This may complicate the script if there are multiple factories.)
4) Scale the energy value in the factory: Store not multiples of 1 but multiples of 1/10. Whenever an energy packet arrives, increase the energy value by 10. Multiply the bomb cost by 10, divide all energy values by 10 when displaying them.

cornucanis

Quote from: toolforger on November 20, 2019, 02:26:06 AM
There's one unintented (I believe) issue with the factory, however.
It starts to count down by 1 per packet, and 0.1 per second (once the area is saturated).
However, that 0.1 is in reality 0.10000000000000000555

It's problems like this that make a person wish they had stuck to carrot farming, where they wouldn't have to concern themselves with this sort of problem.

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

martingolding96