Custom Map #8272: Heaven. By: doritoeatingkid

Started by AutoPost, April 02, 2020, 12:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8272: Heaven

Author: doritoeatingkid
Size: 128x128

Desc:
Heaven got attacked and needs help defend it and kill all emmiter but not the Antispore they help you but there may be a harder one.

Helper

In a really odd way, that image reminds me of a kid I went to high school with.

This was very straight forward. Land on the SE piece and start building power, then get some Cannons and Mortars working.
No AC or Aether source, so we just have to make do.
I don't recall ever playing a map without AC (Sprayers) and Aether (Forge) that would not have been more fun with them.
This is your second map today with Totems. Are Thursdays going to be no totem days?
:)
Thanks,
H

marvinitfox

Very nice!

On this map you have your usual, creative-goodlooking terrain.
But you also have sensible emitter strengths, and very nicely worked out spacing between emitters. No more killing 7 emitters by neutralizer on powerzone, here you have to fight for territory.

The AC spores are a cool idea, but play no real role in this map. Maybe if those bridges to safeland were wider, or digi-covered?

Forge:
I absolutely hate a map with no forge upgrade ability, but that is a valid stylistic choice. Just not one I like having to make.

All in all, a reasonably easy but quite respectable map, thankyou.

Builder17

I personally like to give players aether pack if there is no totems on map, gives them limited upgrades at least.

Johnny Haywire

Yes, in almost every case I can think of, upgrades are pretty vital for making a map more "likeable". And a source of AC would be similar.

I'd estimate that the two spore towers produce the amount of 3-4 non-upgraded ore mines, so at least there's *some* AC available.

Note: I believe it's possible to land on the hill directly to the left of the inhibitor and do a quick speedrun. I did a couple runs at it without pausing and got close. But I already did my speedrun for the week and it took me at least 40 minutes just to beat everyone's time so I'm pretty paused out.  :P

I like the design of this map! Thanks for making it  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

doritoeatingkid

Without forge and ore mine for me it was easy

Johnny Haywire

QuoteWithout forge and ore mine for me it was easy

Yes, and you don't want overkill. What you DO want (in most cases) is a struggle with increasing hope. MMORPG's are popular because by playing just a little longer you can get stronger. For most people, that's a big draw for gaming.

And it's a tricky balance - to make a game that feels as if you're just barely hanging in there... but when you make that one energy upgrade (or range, firing rate, etc.) you're feeling a bit more confident. And then you finally reach that point where you're now pushing back against the enemy and winning.

So it's not about making the game simply easier nor more difficult. It's about prolonging a meaningful struggle. What's cool about inhibitors, is once you get the strength to repel the creeper, often you can just make a direct assault at it and end the game. No mess, no going all over the map and picking up doo-dads or killing weak emitters. Defend against the threat, hold the line, press the attack, and then you're done.

I've only made a handful of maps. I'm not very visually creative, and it takes a lot longer to make a map than to beat it. But I think I've played about 1/3 of the maps in Colonial Space (many have done a lot more) and that seems to be what makes maps enjoyable. Slowly growing strong enough to completely destroy the enemy. Unless it's a speedrun or puzzle map, those are quite different in nature.

Helper

@Johnny Haywire,
You articulate that well.
The games where you're just squeaking by from second to second are the best - and thank you Virgil for the pause button!

Johnny Haywire