Started by AutoPost, March 20, 2019, 03:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #7209: DESERT CSM

Author: Kinglion2
Size: 144x144

Desc:

stdout

Tried a couple times, I keep getting overrun once those big emitters wake up. There's some trick to this that I'm not finding yet. I'll keep trying.

Loren Pechtel

A hard one, it has some problems:

1)  It's impossible to keep the anti-creeper out of the red gems.   The factory up there spent much of it's time bombing them.

2)  You got excessive with the creep from the dying emitters.  Many of time put out so much that it's mostly flipped into anti-creeper.

3)  The amplifiers seem to be set up to be an easy kill--they're normally the hardest part of the map.  On this one the pain is the 720pt emitters.

jaworeq

Hey lion,

nice maps, but as the naming convention goes, whether it's desert or ice, after 20 seconds of gameplay they're all "INK CSM" :)

stdout

This map taught me the value of the Festive factory modules.

Johnny Haywire

Aye, the festive things are a lot more potent than I seem to remember them being.

Really enjoyed this map! If you like to go at a nice slow, relaxed pace as I do - watch out! This map will spill over level 9 terp like a 2-year-old spills out of a diaper. Just when you think it's gonna hold... nope. And now you have a big creeper mess all up in yo base.

And I really liked the challenge of keeping the red power-ups covered in creeper. Had to do some creative pathing and control the release valves just right. Nicely done!

This map might be a bit challenging if you haven't done a lot of the CSM maps. I'm not an expert at these, so it made me think a little bit. You don't *need* to save as you go, but in this case it might help if you don't want to deal with the consequences of bad decisions.

Excellent map! One of the most challenging CSM maps I've found so far... thanks for your hard work!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Regallion

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on March 22, 2019, 12:02:01 AM
Aye, the festive things are a lot more potent than I seem to remember them being.

The exact effect of a given bomb depends on what is set in the chip that produced it. So it varies map-to map AND can even vary in-map if you have several chips of the same bomb type.

Johnny Haywire

Is that true even if the other chip has the same description and numerical designation?  :o

I'm really loving the variety of these maps, btw. Thanks for all the work you guys put into these maps!  ;D ;D ;D

Regallion

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on March 24, 2019, 10:23:42 PM
Is that true even if the other chip has the same description and numerical designation?  :o

If the numbers are the same it is likely the same bomb. Of course due to the nature of how bomb naming works it's perfectly possible for a map maker to put in a trick name.... but afaik Yum doesn't do that.

Hurk

my own personal opinion. maps that require you do X before Y time elapses are not fun. its simply learning how to do exactly what you want us to do. i prefer puzzles with multiple solutions and/or mechanics that require you think outside the box.

for instance, forcing the player to use a forge attack when they dont do something fast enough is better than simply wasting their time trying to learn how to get out of an unwinnable situation.

yum-forum

Perhaps you are right but that is why was created "light version" of this map.  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Johnny Haywire

Yeah, Hurk... I feel ya. I usually like to let the CSM maps run for about 5 minutes before I land or do anything, but I tried that on this one and just couldn't hold it.

While it's fun grabbing some popcorn and just watching stuff fill up hypnotically, sometimes ya just gotta hunker down and start doing stuff right away. Even though I felt a bit pressured on this map, I still enjoyed it once I took the first factory... at that point you can kinda relax a bit.  ;)

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last