Custom Map #6693: teks042 cornucopia of creeper. By: teknotiss

Started by AutoPost, October 20, 2018, 02:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #6693: teks042 cornucopia of creeper

Author: teknotiss
Size: 153x153

Desc:
another cornucanis scripted map, have fun in the creeper cornucopia!

Twi

Yay, corn!

A note, though: while I also really like these maps, the big appeal of the Corn maps/script, as performed by Yum, is that you have to put some thought into where to terraform and how. It's a nontrivial puzzle, or at least it feels like one. As puzzles, the last two here felt kinda.. obvious? Simple? Something like that.

This one's a lot more interesting, though. Also I had to use the singularity weapon a bunch to get things moving at the end :P
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

teknotiss

i didn't really make this as a puzzle past the (slightly) tricky start.

i made the totems super powered as i wanted to see how fast people can do this sort of map with the singularity weapon.  the reason behind the lack of void strips was that the singularity is very hard to predict when it draws creeper/AC over void gaps and it messd up the intended solutions as i had envisaged them!

i don't usually try to replicate the works of others directly, just use them as inspiration  :)

a lot of my maps favour and overbuild and brute force approach!  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

D0m0nik

I really liked this, I don't use the singularity if I can avoid it and it was a lot of fun using it here, I learnt some new stuff.

I thiought the singluarity is best for pulling creeper away from a point but it is sometimes more useful to pull AC in!

teknotiss

the use of the AC stacks was a surprise to me too, it was really effective in certain places!

glad you had fun!  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

cornucanis

This was a very fun map! The beginning was nice and challenging, then pulling the creeper around all over the place with the singularity was a blast.

teknotiss

Quote from: cornucanis on October 22, 2018, 08:00:11 AM
This was a very fun map! The beginning was nice and challenging, then pulling the creeper around all over the place with the singularity was a blast.

that means a lot coming from the script master in this case!

cheers cornucanis!  love this mode of play!  ;D 8)

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

cornucanis

Quote from: teknotiss on October 23, 2018, 01:04:19 PM
that means a lot coming from the script master in this case!

cheers cornucanis!  love this mode of play!  ;D 8)

Thanks, glad people have been enjoying it! I haven't had time to interact with the community much lately unfortunately due to my own projects I've been working on, but when yum told me you had returned and started making maps with my game mode I had to come check them out! I see that Iron John Logan and builder17 have been using the mode too, I'm surprised how popular the mode has become.

I was originally inspired by the lack of AC based maps in Colonial Space as well as the Blue vs Gray type maps from CW2 and wanted to make a similar sort of gameplay for CW3. It took some adjustments, but this is what I was able to come up with. I was never able to quite make the maps I originally envisioned, though, because I'm not so good at making large interconnected maps. The maps I made with the mode ended up being intricate puzzles for the most part that didn't gain much traction.

Then yum started making maps with the scripts though, and they were exactly what I imagined when I created the mode! The maps you've been making also capture that spirit, just having lots of rooms you can decide to attack at a relaxed pace. I'm glad other people have been able to do justice to my scripts in a way I wasn't able to. The star gates were a great addition to the mode, and entirely yum's idea! The improvements kajacx made after I went dormant are awesome too, I love the HUD he made.

Anyway, sorry for the life story! Thanks for helping to breathe new life into my scripts, teknotiss and yum and kajacx and everyone else who used them  ;D

edit: Oh, and by the way you guys don't have to leave my signature on the map if you don't want to! I only put that in there for the template, I didn't expect anyone to actually leave it in their finished maps haha

teknotiss

Quoteedit: Oh, and by the way you guys don't have to leave my signature on the map if you don't want to! I only put that in there for the template, I didn't expect anyone to actually leave it in their finished maps haha

i left it in as an homage to the master of this script!

but it isn't in the symmetrical ones cos i don't want to have to work out how to write it backwards!  ??? ;D  8)

thanks for the post too, it is nice to get an update on people, and their reasons for making maps and scripts etc!

i too had bee away for a while, and with life as it is i can't promise many maps very often, but i am still playing a map or two a day and lurking in the forums!

Johnny Haywire

I, for one, kinda like the open-style maps. I agree that they're not quite as challenging but they do let you try things like the singularities.

I'm wondering... is there a way to allow terping of level 10 walls? Maybe the script won't allow it and it'd break stuff if anyone tried that, I dunno. But it stinks when you're trying to pressurize a nice little "super-soaker" but it starts leaking at only 80 depth. As it is, it's still really fun to play these, and I like what you've done by putting your own style to these maps, Tek! Great work, and I hope you have time to make more  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

teknotiss

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on March 20, 2019, 10:23:56 PM
I'm wondering... is there a way to allow terping of level 10 walls? Maybe the script won't allow it and it'd break stuff if anyone tried that, I dunno. But it stinks when you're trying to pressurize a nice little "super-soaker" but it starts leaking at only 80 depth.

the level 10 walls are fixed by a script, but we can increase the effective wall height.  I think I will try wall heights of 100 (so far mine have been 10 or 20 tops) or so on the next open style map, that way there should be options to use huge AC amounts!  8)

yum-forum

Yah! In my last maps terrain 1=100 and wall with 9 can protect (900-100)=800 creeper.

Good Lu, teks!  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Johnny Haywire

You disagree with this sentence, don't you?