suggestions on scoring

Started by (e), June 05, 2018, 12:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(e)

Suggestions for CW4
1- Median Score vs. Mean score. A mean score or average score can be easier to skew by just letting a game run unattended. Median scores give a better idea of what the middle person scored.

2- Meta Scores/ranking: what I mean by this is creating a way to accumulate points for completing more games and ranking. I.E. for each game completed/posted you get one point for every score lower than yours.

What do you think?

Qwerty Quazo

I think I have seen this ranking system in another game with different names, but I can't remember...
The brain is complicated. Use it or lose it.

Grabz

Quote from: (e) on June 05, 2018, 12:50:47 PM
2- Meta Scores/ranking: what I mean by this is creating a way to accumulate points for completing more games and ranking. I.E. for each game completed/posted you get one point for every score lower than yours.
As much as I would love a system like this, one potential issue is that sometimes for one reason or another maps get deleted from the database, and if someone has beat a map before it was deleted, they will forever have more points than others. I would prefer this not to happen, unless this can be properly tackled on the technical side, because many games get this wrong and retain your scores from deleted content.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

chwooly

Is scoring that important to people?

I totally ignore scoring since the current system is skewed towards playing micromanaged and playing paused so you have lower times.

Cheers.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Builder17

Quote from: chwooly on June 08, 2018, 03:11:24 AM

I totally ignore scoring since the current system is skewed towards playing micromanaged and playing paused so you have lower times.

Cheers.

Good point, I would suggest scoring that goes on even if game is paused.
(Might not work in every case and is problem in bigger/harder maps.)

Maybe when paused = Fog of war could solve it for bigger/harder/slog maps but not sure if that will work either.

Grabz

Quote from: chwooly on June 08, 2018, 03:11:24 AM

Cheers.
Not necessarily scoring, but a more refined feeling of progression would be something I'd be interested in. That sort of thing keeps people playing.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

c0lin

Quote from: Builder17 on June 08, 2018, 10:11:31 AM
Good point, I would suggest scoring that goes on even if game is paused.

I think a "real time" measurement for the scoring board would be great.

(e)

I am also interested in knowing how many others are trying to play as many worlds as possible.