Nvidia's grand design - Own game graphics market

Started by Grauniad, January 04, 2014, 06:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

Nvidia has been aggressively moving in a number of ways to position themselves in such a way that they have exclusivity in both hardware and software and here's how.

With Nvidia G-Sync, they plan to have a display that is locked to their graphics cards. So if you buy an Asus monitor with G-Synch technology, it won't work in the same way if you don't have an Nvidia GPU.

Right now, only boutique gaming hardware makers such as MainsGear, Digital Storm and Falcon sell monitors equipped with G-Synch, but Asus will announce some monitors with built-in G-Sync controllers at this year's Consumer Electronics Show, starting newt week.

On the development side, the Nvidia Gameworks program "offers access to Nvidia's CUDA development tools, GPU profiling software, and other developer resources. One of the features of GameWorks is a set of optimized libraries that developers can use to implement certain effects in game. Unfortunately, these same libraries also tilt the performance landscape in Nvidia's favor in a way that neither developers nor AMD can prevent.
According to Nvidia, developers can, under certain licensing circumstances, gain access to (and optimize) the GameWorks code, but cannot share that code with AMD for optimization purposes.
"

Guess which GPUs will run these type of game the best? AMD Radeon? Think again.

If I was managing strategy at AMD, I'd be having a few sleepless nights right now.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

miquelfire

How much memory do GPUs need? Unless it's made for those who are using CUDA stuff for non gaming purposes.

asmussen

I like the concept of G-sync, as it definitely appears to be an improvement over what we have now, but I'm not crazy about it being a vendor specific technology. That almost never ends well for the consumers.
Shawn Asmussen

Grauniad

Quote from: miquelfire on January 05, 2014, 09:35:42 PM
How much memory do GPUs need? Unless it's made for those who are using CUDA stuff for non gaming purposes.

Try driving quad-4K screens at 60FPS.... Do the math...

Blaze

More and more it seems my next GPU is going to be an Nvidia card...
The only thing that would keep me on AMD is if RadeonPro wouldn't apply SFX for other cards, but from what I read it still applies it if you have an Nvida card.
It just doesn't apply the other settings like Anti-Aliasing.