Mich's Computer Build

Started by Michionlion, January 03, 2014, 12:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michionlion

So, here is what I have so far.  My budget is basically 'no more than' $1500.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:  Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card  ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($42.92 @ Amazon)
Power Supply:  Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($81.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1344.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

If anybody has recommendations for a case and monitor (in the ATX form factor, or something that will fit the above parts), I'd love to hear them.  Also, if anybody spots something wrong with my parts list (things I left out, or something from an unreliable seller, etc.), it'd be great if you could point them out.  I'll be building this computer in the next couple weeks.  Thanks!
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

Mich - is this a gaming machine? I'll look at the other stuff later, but usually if people build a gaming machine, I recommend the top-of-the line i5 over the i7 processors. You can't spot the performance difference and it's about $100 cheaper IIRC.

Also, if you are not going to overclock, and are set on an i7, then use the i7-4771 that Helper put in his machine - it's faster in most circumstances.

I never cool anymore with fan-based coolers, I am a closed-loop liquid-cooling convert. The reduction in nose is terrific.

I'd really look long and hard at either adding a SSD as a boot drive or using one of the SSHD (Solid-State Hybrid) drives that have a build-in caching SSD. You can use the money you saved from downgrading the CPU to offset the additional cost, but you will be grateful you did it. :)

I'd not buy a sound card unless I have very good reason to do so, since the on-board sound on most motherboards is pretty good.

More than that, give me some time since I'm quite busy with other things right now. I'd say mostly things look good. As for the case, do you want window, silent, or with eye appeal?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grayzzur

Grauniad and I think alike in this regard. If it's a gaming rig, you'll probably never notice the speed difference of an i7 over an i5. You will notice the speed difference of an SSD drive.

Unless you're one of those audiophiles who can hear the difference between a $400 stereo and a $4000 stereo (I know I can't) then you also won't get much benefit from an extra sound card. The on-board sound with Asus' Maximus series is pretty darn good, imho. (I have an Asus Maximus V GENE board myself, you can see where I rank in the performance thread - and it's mainly the older video card holding me back.)

Get a nice case that has easy access, rails for the drives, plenty of room for fans, etc. A good case will last you through several major upgrades. It's also the part you look at day in and day out.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

MadMag

sound card is a no no :) I also have a Asus Maximus (IV Extreme-Z, Socket-1155), great sound.
I would have gone for the i7 tho.
Can't really see where you can save any money to buy better HW.

Michionlion

Thanks, guys.  I'll definitely look into a top-of-the-line i5 then, but I was under the impression that the Maximus VI Hero board didn't have built-in audio.  I can correct that then, I guess.  I know later in the year (when I start my summer job again) I can afford an SSD, so that upgrade is going to wait until then.  Can you recommend a liquid cooler, then, G?  I thought that those were very hard to set up...  Also, any monitor/case suggestions?  Thanks!
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

MadMag

You do not need a liquid cooler on this build. Just buy big fans if you want to reduce noise.

Grauniad

You still need to state preferences for a case - eye candy or silence, or ... ?

Grayzzur

Agreed. Just get coolers with large fans with low decibel ratings, especially if you don't intend to overclock. Once you hit 120mm cpu coolers, pay attention to the case. They don't always line up and fit just right, or a side mounted fan might not fit if it's directly over the cpu, etc.

From ASUS website - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/#specifications:
ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
- ELNA premium audio capacitors
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- Sonic Radar
- DTS Connect
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Michionlion

Quote from: Grauniad on January 03, 2014, 02:37:42 PM
You still need to state preferences for a case - eye candy or silence, or ... ?

Something that is cheap, and won't break.  Also should fit everything, so probably an ATX full-tower.

Awesome, Gray, they must have updated specs since the 2012 review I read.
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Michionlion

Double post, I know, sorry.  -  So, with some advice from G & MM in chat, here is my final parts list (barring any big problems)  I went for a 2TB SSHD, and decided on both the monitor and the case.  Overall, I think I'm pretty happy with it.  I'll probably be ordering parts tomorrow, after having slept and thought about it a bit.  Thanks for all your help, fellow people of humanity!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:  Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card  ($380.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($42.92 @ Amazon)
Case:  NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case  ($113.77 @ Mwave)
Power Supply:  Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor:  Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor  ($137.73)
Other: Windows 8 - Student discount ($69.99)
Other: Seagate Desktop 2 TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6 GB with NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5 Inch (ST2000DX001) ($134.67)
Total: $1650.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-03 19:34 EST-0500)
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

It looks like a pretty good machine. Ultimately I'd make a few different decisions, but we all make slightly different design choices. :)

Good luck with the build.

I think the upgrade to the SSHD is wise. Here you can buy it for $116: http://www.provantage.com/seagate-st2000dx001~7SESS003.htm

I cant match, price-wise, a liquid cooler to the price of your cooler.

Make sure you check memory compatibility with your motherboard and the CPU. Both Intel and Asus should have vendor-qualified lists on their sites.

I think overall you'll be very happy with your system, it's top-notch.

Michionlion

Well, I just bought the whole thing!  I changed my case to this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2851012&tab=7, because I did not notice that my previous one only had USB 2.0 ports.  Overall, I think I did pretty good.  I'll post again once it arrives and I assemble it, probably around Jan 10th.  Thanks again for all your help, G, MM, and Gray.
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Michionlion

Well, the 10th is here, and it is assembled.  It is very late here, and the power-on just failed (lights+fans turn on, no feedback from BIOS, beeps, or just in general, motherboard manual says that this means that a power-on self test failed, and to check connections and such), so troubleshooting will be happening tomorrow.  Wish me good luck!
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Flabort

Well, my philosophy is if you spent more than $200 on a computer, and it fails to turn on, you'd better make that money worth it and figure out what's wrong.
So I wish you GREAT luck, man. Girl? Whatever, I'm just hoping you can get that working because that's a lot of money. EXCELLENT luck be with you in troubleshooting, because "good" luck isn't good enough.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Blaze

Quote from: Michionlion on January 10, 2014, 11:04:58 PM
Well, the 10th is here, and it is assembled.  It is very late here, and the power-on just failed (lights+fans turn on, no feedback from BIOS, beeps, or just in general, motherboard manual says that this means that a power-on self test failed, and to check connections and such), so troubleshooting will be happening tomorrow.  Wish me good luck!

I had that issue when I assembled mine, turns out all I did was miss the connector to the Motherboard from the PSU... ::)