Need opinion on a PC...

Started by Kingo, December 08, 2013, 02:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingo

Hello all,
I am hoping for a decent gaming laptop this Christmas, and my dad forwarded me this link as a recommendation:
http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-L75D-A7283-173-Laptop/product_49561?externalize=certona#desc_content

I would mainly like to be able to play shooter games, and I am fine playing them on the lowest settings.
What is your guys' opinion on it? I know there are quite a few tech-savvy formites here.

Grauniad

Hey Kingo, so sorry, I see it was on a daily deal yesterday and the price went up since I looked at it late last night to today. :( It's already $50 more expensive than it was when your Dad sent you the link. :(

Do you need a laptop for school, or some other reason? Usually a laptop is much more expensive than a desktop for the same performance.

Here at NotebookCheck.com, they review the performance of that integrated GPU. Look towards the bottom of the page for gaming performance. That will help you have a good understanding of what you can expect from games. Basically, what they are saying is that the graphics is similar to the high-end integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000) on the newer Intel processors. That is good for such a small processor, but it is still very near the bottom end of the range of GPUs.  If you look at the benchmark result in our Benchmarks thread, you will see that two high-end (i7) Intel laptops came in near the bottom due to their graphics performance.

If your budget stretches to that, you should look for a discrete GPU on your laptop, but be very careful to know that the price will rise very substantially. Otherwise, you should review the performance charts and see if the Toshiba will meet your expectations/hopes.

They also reviewed the generic AMD A4-5000 processor in a "white box" form when AMD sent them a test sample. All laptops with that processor are reviewed in summary form as well and again you can form an opinion on what to expect performance-wise.

Depending on what your budget really is, and if you need a laptop, you can look through this list of recommended gaming laptops of varying prices (I'd never spend as much as those high-end machines).

Also, having looked at the specs for your laptop, they look considerably better than the budget models of recommended laptops, especially given that the screen is pretty large and has a decent resolution.

Edited for clarity and grammar  -G.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kingo

Thanks a lot for your opinion Graunidad. I already have a computer I use for programming and school and stuff, so I mainly would like one that can at least handle low settings gaming.