Faster graphics? - Your eyes can't tell.

Started by Grauniad, October 31, 2013, 08:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

I recently read (and I thought I posted a link here somewhere) about an Nvidia innovation to synch monitors with a special chip to the frame rates (FPS) of the video card to avoid tearing. Vsynch attempts this, but it does not really get it right at the hardware level.

So Nvidia will have their new line of GPUs synch up with hardware in new monitors (Asus already has a monitor with this on the market) and have the monitor refresh when a frame is output.

Also most über-gamers exchew IPS panels for TN panels due to the faster refresh rates. There are some 1ms TN-panels out there, and some 144Hz refresh rates.

Along with this zeitgeist, there is not this article that claims: If you are considering a video card upgrade, look at your monitor first

QuoteAngelini places the sweet spot on performance at 1920x1080 as AMD's Radeon R280x, a $300 card, and the Nvidia GTX 770, which has recently seen a price cut and is now around $400. As for integrated GPUs that come with Intel and AMD CPUs, there's plenty of room to grow.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

knucracker

I see this analysis as a call to arms.
GPU makers need to push for bigger monitors and for game developers to do more crazy stuff.  2560x1440 should be the new standard minimum resolution, 4K monitors should become the thing everyone wants, and game makers need to up their polygon counts and visual demands :)

3840x2160 resolution with subpixel polygons running at 60fps smooth with full lighting (everything plus some new stuff) and I'll start to listen to 'we're done making GPUs better'.  When I can look at a 30" monitor and I can't tell it's not a window into the real world, happy day.  I guess till then a gtx 770 will have to do :)