Started by AutoPost, January 06, 2012, 03:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #657: The Flood

Author: Shimizu

Desc:
Its coming....

PeterPower

Yikes... Even finishing this level is an accomplishment. I have a headache from the constant sound of nullifiers exploding! Really beautiful looking map though. I like the fact the level is nearly impossible without using multiple weapons and upgrades! Definitley challenging.

jepler

I learned that you can 'rush' across and clear a big empty area with the dark beam and just two mirrors.  That was fun.  frame advance a necessity, though.

my strategy: build energy generation as fast as you can, digging carefully so that it's possible to fit enough reactors in this area to 100% power the dark beam.  The, using the two mirrors, rush across to the emitters.  Then it's like nullifying fish in a barrel.

Next time around I wouldn't bother with any of the other weapons I built—a few blasters, a launcher, and some conversion bombs.
In fact, I lost a few seconds from my time by (foolishly) sending CBs into the dark beam and interrupting it.  :(

In terms of tech, I used only two domes, and bought energy storage (3 levels) and packet speed (2 levels).  I think energy storage is a must in order to get each successive generation of emitters built quickly.  Reactor efficiency certainly wouldn't have hurt, but at 7 points it was never affordable.

jepler

On my second run, I substantially improved my score.  This time I built enough Tech Domes to purchase the 20% unit cost reduction and all the packet speed upgrades.  Between that and just knowing what my strategy was, it made a difference of about 1:40.

While the background graphic is pretty, the similarity of color between background and creeper  makes it a bit hard to see where there's creeper.. something that made me go back to my quicksave a few times.

bla3

I know this is an older map, but I just downloaded and played it, and it's one of the few maps that has driven me to comment on it.

Initial reaction: "Oh, another one of THESE. Well, I'll play it anyway."

I'm really glad I did, though, because it turns out this map doesn't require the dark beam to finish it. It's theoretically possible that this map might not even require the dark beam *at all*, which makes it really well balanced, I think. The way I beat it - set up the dark beam on a vertical face directly opposite the 'floor level of the creeper cavity, and bounce it off of a vertical mirror to contain the creeper. (Obviously after hitting 12+ energy production.) Then finish building energy and research to boost all the important stats and abilities... Then I actually use repulsors to push the creeper away from the dark beam. When I saw that no creeper was actually touching the beam boundary because of the repulsors, I decided to turn the beam off and finish the map with good old conventional weapons. I'm sure my time was horrible, but doing it this way was a lot more fun than the standard 'beam walking' with 2 mirrors, plus layered repulsors coupled with mortars and lasers were enough to clear spaces right next to emitters, so I could take out large amounts of emitters with one nullifier.

Great map!

pocketdare

Not sure why... chalk it up to being a bit tired. But I never even noticed that the experimental weapons option existed on this one. So, yes, this one is definitely possible to finish without them. I used a wall of repulsers and about 6 blasters and walked them forward until I reached the emitters - then nullified away. Not the fastest time but I finished without needlessly calling upon the power of the loki :)