Custom Map: Nice Job 10: The Teacher

Started by AutoPost, May 20, 2010, 12:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 10: The Teacher

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
This time the start will be easier as you only need 2 blasters to defend the teacher's desk. All emitters can be capped by placing blasters on the heads of the children. Believe me, they deserve it.... Have fun!

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 10: The Teacher
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
This time the start will be easier as you only need 2 blasters to defend the teacher's desk. All emitters can be capped by placing blasters on the heads of the children. Believe me, they deserve it.... Have fun!
Description:

Although you rather elaborate on Einstein's theories (see blackboard), good jobs are hard to get, so you are a teacher at an elementary school today.

Please make sure these children are learning something instead of annoying you.

Although the kids can be a real pain, never forget that each child has something special to offer!
Download page:
Nice Job 10: The Teacher
Full size screen shot:
More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

NNR_Alex

XD it's south park, i can't stop laughing, oh man I'll make another post after i beat this.

UpperKEES

Yeah, I couldn't think of more annoying kids.... ;D

NNR_Alex

hahah my score is terrible compared to yours, i'm too carefull i guess, i had a few of the caps come undone on me so that slowed me down just a bit, figures cartman would be the one that starts the whole mess.  I had to restart once because i tried to be greedy and grab the blasters and reactors together and i only have time for one.  that was really cool what you did with the learn more message, it made me jump though when it showed up, how often are those emiters for the message suppose to fire? i only recall each set going off once.

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on May 20, 2010, 02:22:10 AM
hahah my score is terrible compared to yours, i'm too carefull i guess

I don't know, maybe you're not greedy enough.... ;)

i had a few of the caps come undone on me so that slowed me down just a bit, figures cartman would be the one that starts the whole mess.

Spoiler
Yes, that's possible if the blaster gets distracted by the table behind it. When you move more blasters to the back it won't happen.
[close]

I had to restart once because i tried to be greedy and grab the blasters and reactors together and i only have time for one.

Spoiler
If you build without deficit you should be able to get them both. It must have been rather tough to get the reactor tech with so little energy! :o
[close]

that was really cool what you did with the learn more message, it made me jump though when it showed up, how often are those emiters for the message suppose to fire? i only recall each set going off once.

Thanks! Yeah, it's supposed to go off only once. The message should stay intact, but it might suffer a bit from 'through the wall damage'.

NNR_Alex

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 20, 2010, 02:32:55 AM
If you build without deficit you should be able to get them both. It must have been rather tough to get the reactor tech with so little energy! :o

well i just thought about trying one collector on each table and floating the city, i'll have to see if that can be done later.  as for getting the reactor, yeah it was a little tough, i had two blasters playing defense and used all the back space to slowly build collectors and a few blasters, then i just rushed Ike for the reactor,  one collector on the very edge of mr garrison's desk was able to power the blasters.  I can't remember if i lose the blasters after that or not but it didn't matter i had reactors the real battle could start.

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 20, 2010, 02:32:55 AM
Thanks! Yeah, it's supposed to go off only once. The message should stay intact, but it might suffer a bit from 'through the wall damage'.
ok cool, yeah it stayed there for the most part, the part of the M started to fade but other than that it stayed.

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on May 20, 2010, 02:44:17 AM
well i just thought about trying one collector on each table and floating the city, i'll have to see if that can be done later.  

Spoiler
You can indeed move the city and just build 4 collectors, but you can also do it without moving OC and building 7 collectors (that's what I did, as I need the collectors anyway).
[close]

F0R

nice map how do u make background like this

UpperKEES

First I create the map itself, so I know where all objects/elevations will come. Then I start off with a 700x480 background and cut & paste parts of textures onto it with a paint program, counting every pixel (groups of 10 correspond with 1 block in the map editor).

UpperKEES

I forgot to mention who inspired me to create a message like that, written by the Creeper. Now I see mpl also played my map I got reminded. It's the bonus map of his (very nice) Artha map series that gave me this idea, so thanks for that! :)

SPIFFEN

PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

ctuna

Regarding NNR_A's comment about floating the city: I can't find a destination other than the large desk - how can I float without a landing spot in line with my destination? I've been watching and playing for several weeks, but apparently haven't learned much.

Also, I've been able to capture both blaster and reactor techs, but even after loading up with reactors and stuffing a blaster on a face or two, I get overwhelmed every time. I can't help feel there are simple concepts to the process I don't understand. Is there a more advanced tutorial or an example from which I can learn?

Don't get me wrong - I don't want the answer, just a place to learn better techniqies.

UpperKEES

Spoiler
The teacher's desk is indeed the only place to land (after picking up the artifact).
[close]

Spoiler
I always advance with 6-8 blasters besides the ones I put on each head. This means you'll need at least 8-10 units of energy per second (mostly by reactors as you have little space).
[close]

The best tutorial is playing a lot, so you'll be able to make an estimate of what you'll need to finish the map.

Weesplat

Hey just (re)came across this map and noticed that your teaching Einstein's theory to elementary school kids.

Oh, and if you put 2 blasters at the top and bottom of Odin city, you can prevent the creeper from going behind you, so you can then use that land.