Custom Map #1642: Nexious 11 Break through.. By: Vertu

Started by AutoPost, February 19, 2021, 09:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1642: Nexious 11 Break through.

Author: Vertu
Size: 300x375

Desc:
After collecting information, witnessing changes, experiencing what is so different. It's time for things to start making sense in a bigger picture. -Story driven mission series. I have noticed a grammar mistake in the text, but only after finishing the mission myself. I am not redoing the very long mission after all of the Ironing I did.. ~1hr, 30 min it took for me. Good luck, it's quite tough and destructive.

Jimragnark

I did it i finally did it!
i manage to merge the multiple np stations to become just one entire station making then more powerful and useful for your future nexious maps
you dont need to thank me im a expert on this

Vertu

Might if I ask how you did this? It would make some things lets say... easier...
I mean the aspect of actually making something that large in the editor.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

Vertu

Also, any additional things such as custom modules, enemy AI scripts, and things like "mods" are something I would like to look for to expand the possibilities. I am kinda shocked how far I have gotten just by making special ships and unique terrain with the default things available. So if I where to have access to some custom modules I could make MANY more different ships, especially if the size restriction was somehow bypassed. The more tools, the better.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

FOXX

Hi Vertu,

for custom modules look HERE  for the data and for explanation video.

Good luck.
Greets,
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

Jimragnark

hi vertu!

well i will explain you how i manage to merge all of the station ships in to one
i used a program called ship-constructor V0.3.4 made by kajacx and you can make ships in 128x128 size!!!
you can see here
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=22706.0

note: the program runs in java 8 so you need to install java to run the program
ps:well not only i re-created the entire station in only one command node but i re-created all of the nexious ships (EVERY SINGLE ONE) because i liked the ships and maked the other maps more easier.

good luck
signed
Jimnagnark

Vertu

So what I got so far is, the XL ship designer (fine), and that custom modules are merely scripts put into a level that place images and work based on their code rather than an "injected" module as I was sadly hoping for.

I also assume by how the game was not meant to work with XL ships, it refers to that its fully operational BUT the game has the restraint as a method of limiting a tax on performance. Such as the physic interactions and calculations for large ships, the larger the ship, the more calculations and so, less performance. I am assuming it's that and NOT that if you build big, the game's performance drops exponentially due to that ship being a single "ship", I am comparing this to my multi-ship station that has multiple idle "ships" sit next to each other, the difference in performance impact I assume is similar, with the difference being due to individual calculations as a single large entity.
To put it short, I am assuming that making an XL ship in the editor has a similar performance impact to having a multi-ship such as the Space Station (it's not a "Nexious Space Station" just to clarify) and that only when you get REAL big, like bigger than my Space Station will there be a notable difference in performance between the two. If not, that's ideal as it means I can build larger on specific axis but have similar volume to the normal ships, resulting in basically unchanged performance.

Also real quick, how do I convert a "rar" file into a "dat" file. The process of adding custom modules as far as I have derived is, downloading an example ship that possesses the scripts and images, transfer the scripts to the desired mission editor save directly, and add the custom images as normally. My problem right now in understanding is how I can get that downloaded ship which has such assets to actually give me the assets, it's not a zip and I "want" a zip file to put it simply. Or am I missing something?

Also.. quick advice about that video (don't care if it's ancient), try being a bit more concise with your organization, I found it hard to keep track as to what you where doing as you bounced between windows (though you still did very well as a whole, this is just constructive criticism). An example to what I mean is, I found an easier time understanding information involving the custom ship editor than the way you moved files around. The editor information was all done inside the editor on a single window, the file jumping was between many windows with multiple tabs. So I won't be surprised if I am simply missing something.

Thank you all for the help. :D
The ship editor alone will make things easier for me, I build very detailed (in a purposed manner), so size is a mortal enemy for theming larger builds.

So to sum it up:
Ship editor XL: Performance is expected as normal, you have something with hundreds of individual pieces, of course the game will lag a bit. So the presence of my Space Station as a single ship has a near identical performance impact to simply "constructing" it out of multiple ships. Please tell me if this is not the case.

Custom modules: Download a ship that has custom modules, open the downloaded file to move around scripts and images accordingly, apply them in the editor, and account for where the modules are on the ship (the only part I am disappointed in, can't just place it in the ship editor with all scripts and images included in-game). The part I am stuck on is that after downloading the ship as a rar file, it's just a single rar file. Where are the scripts and images? (I am not too experienced in file management by the way though not incompetent, just inexperienced.)

FOXX

About the Ship Editor: Large ships will give lag but several small ships won't. All weapons and the like function the same

As for Custom Modules you are very close. In my custom module section is a 'How to use the files section' with all steps needed for the modules.
And for 'unpacking' the Rar files you can use WinRar for that.

If you have more questions just ask.
Greets,
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

Vertu

Maybe I should be more clear. I download the rar file, and have no idea what to do with that lone rar file.  Your explanation seems to assume I download a zip folder that contains the ship, it's images, and scripts. I only have a lonely rar file.

FOXX

Quote from: Vertu on February 24, 2021, 10:31:31 AM
Maybe I should be more clear. I download the rar file, and have no idea what to do with that lone rar file.  Your explanation seems to assume I download a zip folder that contains the ship, it's images, and scripts. I only have a lonely rar file.

To be clear, WinRar works the same as WinZip only different program with a different file. (the Rar file instead of a Zip file)
If you download and install WinRar you can open the Rar file and see the files 'inside' the ar file.
Hope this helps.
Greets,
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

Vertu

I am very skeptical when it comes to downloading things. Like -200% willing for a mathematical reference. The main thing that bothers me is that there is a "buy" and "download" option which sets off alarms in my mind from past experiences looooong ago.

FOXX

That is your choice Vertu but i never got a message or comment something was wrong with these files.

Greets,
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

chwooly

Quote from: Vertu on February 25, 2021, 08:42:18 PM
I am very skeptical when it comes to downloading things. Like -200% willing for a mathematical reference. The main thing that bothers me is that there is a "buy" and "download" option which sets off alarms in my mind from past experiences looooong ago.

Winzip, WinRar, 7Zip, as well as a host of others do unpack .rar files. Just right click and see if there is an option to extract the file. If you are on a windows machine then it should have option since Winzip has been included for a while with the OS. I prefer 7zip since it is open source.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Vertu

Quote from: chwooly on March 11, 2021, 03:05:13 AM
Quote from: Vertu on February 25, 2021, 08:42:18 PM

Winzip, WinRar, 7Zip, as well as a host of others do unpack .rar files. Just right click and see if there is an option to extract the file. If you are on a windows machine then it should have option since Winzip has been included for a while with the OS. I prefer 7zip since it is open source.

Cheers
I do not have an extraction prompt unfortunately. Thanks for the attempt at helping though!
I believe I can do a lot with up scaling ships, having custom modules will simply allow me to make more dynamic smaller ships which is somewhat preferred but not essential.
However, looking into what you say also work, 7-Zip seems to be indeed free, Nexious is a kind of hobby project, I intend to not gain benefit from making the series in any form, but that also means any expense put into it will be a full expense. I'd rather say 1:1; $0:0, but I am given a bunch of download options and have no idea what applies to me.
Am on Windows 10, I don't know info such as bits and what type is preferable.

chwooly

Once you download the file from Foxx, go to your download folder, right click on it , if you have an option to "Extract" or "Winzip"  you are good, If not then you can click on "open with"   You should see some programs, Hopefully Winzip, If not then click on "look for an APP in the Microsoft Store" or go to the 7zip web page,

To determine if you have a are x32 vs x64, go to the Windows search box, Type "system information" you will receive a few options pick any of them, a new window will open with your system information displayed about 8 lines down will be the line "System Type" that will say either "x32-based system"  or "x64-based system",

To be honest, if you have a fairly new machine bought in the last 2 years, maybe 4 I would hazard a guess that you have an x64 system. If in doubt you can pick x32 and should have no problems other then having the program run a little slower, but not something you will really notice since you are not dealing with huge archives or archives spanning multiple files.

Anyway hope that helps.

Also Thanks for the maps. I do enjoy them.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein