Alternate Group Fleet

Started by traisjames, October 16, 2016, 05:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traisjames

By default the key G is set to Alternate Group Fleet, but what is Alternate Group Fleet?  I press it and nothing seems to happen.

Sorrontis

Looks like it works like "E" ... it's probably an upcoming feature (I hope).

***I'm just guessing here***
Will it be used in the future to move a fleet so that they travel at the same speed (slowest of the group)?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Karsten75

E Slides, G hold formation (more or less). There was a mode (H?) to line the ships up - that has gone, since it had no use.

Kharnellius

Yeah, that name should be changed.  "Alternate Group Fleet" makes no sense and is not nearly as intuitive as "Hold Formation".  I had no idea what that did and it is rather useful now that I know about it.

Ninja

Quote from: Karsten75 on October 16, 2016, 08:54:12 PM
since it had no use.
The heck it didn't!  >:(
I loved that key.  :'(

Game Loser

I apologise if this is classed as a 'thread crap', but it seems pretty closely related to the topic to me. 
In old CW3 we had [ctrl]+[ # ] keys and could assign groups of units to those keys, up to 9 groups.  I don't see this feature here, but I think it could be rather useful.

Whether or not I play correctly, I tend to use my Lathes in a pair just to get the job done quicker.  Unlike CW3, where one nullifier would do the job, and any more are completely surplus, more than one Lathe seems to double the impact.
AMD Ryzen 1700X / 32GiB DDR4 / Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070

Kharnellius

Alternate Group Fleet key has to do with how it moves in formation for a selection of ships.  Doesn't really have anything to do with selecting multiple ships.

However, you help illustrate my assertion that this functionality is very poorly named.  "Hold Formation" makes way more sense.