Main Menu

Formations

Started by Yinan, October 04, 2011, 01:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yinan

Hi,

would be nice if blasters and launchers stayed in formation if you select multiple ones. So for Example this formation:
---------------
---x--x-----x--
---------------

if you select those 3 now together and move them, they will (if possible) stay in that formation and not cluster together near the field you clicked.

Maybe with clicking on the ground while holding Shift or something...

I simply dislike the fact that i have to move all the blasters/launchers individually because they will cluster at the field i clicked instead of staying in a line or whatever formation they have right now.

UpperKEES

Yes! That would be very nice indeed. I often like my selected weapons to stay in formation as well. That way I would be able to alternately 'bunny-hop' two formations which launchers (L) in front followed by blasters (B) as back up against thin Creeper:

A: BBBBBBBBB
B: BBBBBBBBB
C: LLLLLLLLLL
D: LLLLLLLLLL

Step 1: select lines A & C (group select) and move 2 lines forward.
Step 2: select lines B & D (group select) and move 2 lines forward.
Step 3: goto step 1.

Now I do this manually all the time, because the multiple selections hardly ever work out for me as I like them to.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

Let me think about this... Because I certainly can see the need.  There are some cases where this has unintended effects, but they may be minor.

Grauniad

Quote from: virgilw on October 04, 2011, 07:31:15 PM
Let me think about this... Because I certainly can see the need.  There are some cases where this has unintended effects, but they may be minor.

We talked about this a while back...
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Katra

There are cases where that would be very useful. (and for repulsors as well as blasters and launchers.)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Cavemaniac

I'd love some sort of formation control - either pick from a list or create your own, or just put 'em down the way you picked 'em up.

I usually just select (or define groups of) 3 so I get a nice even three wide formation - this works fine for smaller formations and when going up or down. Not so good for sideways!!

Glad someone mentioned this!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

mortoray

Formations would be great.

Even better would be if what UpperKEES said could also somehow be automated.  Crawling through halls of creeper is always the same repetitive movement. Move group A forward, move group B forward.

Perhaps it doesn't even need to be too complicated, something as simple as move forward when no creeper is there.  That is, take a group, or two, market a target destination and then just have them automate the crawl towards there.

Lord_Farin

Quote from: mortoray on October 06, 2011, 05:46:40 PM
Formations would be great.

Even better would be if what UpperKEES said could also somehow be automated.  Crawling through halls of creeper is always the same repetitive movement. Move group A forward, move group B forward.

Perhaps it doesn't even need to be too complicated, something as simple as move forward when no creeper is there.  That is, take a group, or two, market a target destination and then just have them automate the crawl towards there.

I can see problems with fields and space limitations arise immediately. This will really stay a matter of hand-work; any AI will not be as powerful as the one we are equipped with naturally.
The general idea sounds desirable at the least.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!