Custom Map #1666: Nexious 20 Skirmish. By: Vertu

Started by AutoPost, April 10, 2021, 01:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1666: Nexious 20 Skirmish

Author: Vertu
Size: 500x500

Desc:
It's time to play chess on the Nexious Region board. -Story driven mission series. Hello! Developer of Nexious here, I am now accepting ship submissions as a way to inflate the enemy and Benign ship pool for SMALL & MEDIUM ships. You can send larger ones but my standards for them will be much more cruel. Be sure to submit it with the tag "NEX" or "NEXIOUS" for identification. You do not need to try making it look "Nexious", just not too different.

TrickyPlayer

What's a "tag"? When I upload a ship I only can set the name, author, and description? I wanna help :)
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

Vertu

"Tag" was abstract. I am weird with my definitions to words in specific contexts. What I meant by a tag is basically some kind of recognition thing or label. So when you want me to look at a ship you made, in the ship's name you have "NEX" or "Nexious" (not case sensitive) clearly in it. This "NEX" is a label for me to tell that the ship you posted on these forums was directed towards me. You can include the original name in the ship's description due to character limit.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: Vertu on April 15, 2021, 01:07:53 PM
"Tag" was abstract. I am weird with my definitions to words in specific contexts. What I meant by a tag is basically some kind of recognition thing or label. So when you want me to look at a ship you made, in the ship's name you have "NEX" or "Nexious" (not case sensitive) clearly in it. This "NEX" is a label for me to tell that the ship you posted on these forums was directed towards me. You can include the original name in the ship's description due to character limit.

I'm gonna try to take a look at this series and then I'll maybe try to make some fitting ships. So far I've got some excellent ramming ships for my own maps but not that awesome of longer-range things. Also, if something doesn't look Nexious but would otherwise fit in perfectly, just change the appearance a bit. You can use all the ships I've made so far if you want but none of them was made for Nexious, just for personal use, just know you have the permission if you ever happen to come across a great ship I created.
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

Vertu

Wanna know something funny? In Nexious 21, Outskirts, I was regularly harassed by Doppel gangs and the most effective way to deal with them against their wall of Particle? RAM THEM! I think I conducted easily over 10 rams in that mission with the Cruiser and Marauder along with the Joven and Destroyer. Made me love ramming even more.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

Vertu

Sorry to say but they are a bit too blocky in my opinion and I can't see where to put them.
A bit of a rule for reference as to what I would pick; never have internal engines. You don't need to do this rule but if you where to design around this idea it would make the ship generally more interesting and likely to pass.

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: Vertu on April 16, 2021, 01:07:05 PM
Sorry to say but they are a bit too blocky in my opinion and I can't see where to put them.
A bit of a rule for reference as to what I would pick; never have internal engines. You don't need to do this rule but if you where to design around this idea it would make the ship generally more interesting and likely to pass.
Sure, I'll try to think about that... internal engines also kinda make me scream on the inside about logic. I'll try that for the net batch, I'll also try to go more for looks and less for functionality I suppose.
By the way, one layer of hull armor to protect the engines if ok, right? Or not?

I made you a new batch of 8 ships, I hope they at least fit better even if they have less functionality. One ship has 2 engines in a row but they are still quite in the open. I also made all the ships less "blocky" but that does kinda add to the amount of hull. I hope you'll find at least one interesting ship.

Vertu

Much better! I have selected 3 and will modify them accordingly. This should help with having plenty of medium ships and large ships for the NPC ship pool.
I am also willing to accept structures.
The ships that made it: NEXship1 B, NEXshipB2, NEXship5B2

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: Vertu on April 17, 2021, 11:14:57 AM
Much better! I have selected 3 and will modify them accordingly. This should help with having plenty of medium ships and large ships for the NPC ship pool.
I am also willing to accept structures.
The ships that made it: NEXship1 B, NEXshipB2, NEXship5B2
Structures, hmm? So basically ships without engines right? I already got a few of those.

I haven't tried the particle fleet version of RPL yet so it's just gonna be non-moving ships that will be of varying qualities... I'll be having a hard time giving stationary ships the NEXious looks though but I'll try. So far I've been enjoying thinking up ships.

As always I'll try to come up with a batch of exactly 8 ships, this time they'll be stationary in most cases. Some of em might however be intended to have rotating AI so that's gonna be interesting if I get the idea to become a proper ship.

Vertu

I was looking for structures more like buildings that just sit there doing nothing maybe with a few guns. They won't be player usable.

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: Vertu on April 18, 2021, 11:30:38 AM
I was looking for structures more like buildings that just sit there doing nothing maybe with a few guns. They won't be player usable.
I'm no good with that... I'm afraid you're gonna have to do that yourself but maybe I'll give it another try later, though this really narrows it down to just clumps of hull given the info I have right now.

Vertu

No worries, the request was 100% optional. I have trouble building small because I keep cramming in too many details, inflating the size. To me it was more efficient to get like 3 from willing participants. It's less of a "hey I want to do this and wish for your interaction" and more of: you submitting a ship with the tag and I will probably notice it and look at it, maybe if you said something in a comment I will also interact. Or in summary: a situation with less interaction than this and more casual.

The idea was getting other perspectives in building styles, like your ship that was built for ramming and has 2 shields at the front. I would not have made that myself but upon seeing yours I decided to take it and express it's style a bit more, like adding more of those extrusions. Very much more of an integration than retrofit.

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: Vertu on April 20, 2021, 01:08:03 PM
No worries, the request was 100% optional. I have trouble building small because I keep cramming in too many details, inflating the size. To me it was more efficient to get like 3 from willing participants. It's less of a "hey I want to do this and wish for your interaction" and more of: you submitting a ship with the tag and I will probably notice it and look at it, maybe if you said something in a comment I will also interact. Or in summary: a situation with less interaction than this and more casual.

The idea was getting other perspectives in building styles, like your ship that was built for ramming and has 2 shields at the front. I would not have made that myself but upon seeing yours I decided to take it and express it's style a bit more, like adding more of those extrusions. Very much more of an integration than retrofit.
Oh ok that explains it. By the way, I'm probably gonna start a series that's based off of your NEXIOUS world, but it takes place in an entirely different place of redacted space that's almost devoid of particulate, at least for now... In order for that to make sense, there's barely any ship licenses, even less of those power crystals, and a general lack of energy mines and benign particulate, meaning there's no point for the particulate to keep bases there... Are you ok with this?

Oh I already started btw so your opinion won't change much, but tell me regardless please.

Vertu

It's fine. I have considered such ideas of plagiarism risk but my general conclusion is... Nexious is too unique, too unusual, too complex, to be plagiarized without me directing it.

I also never intended to revive this game, it just had a level editor and simple mechanics I could work easily with unlike CW4 which covered genres too foreign to me. Particle Fleet has more unit based battling where as CW4 is more mathematics and entropy of the flowing of liquid and has no "enemies". Oh well. At least it means I am not a monopoly in Particle Fleet anymore which is actually preferred funny as it may be.

Though maybe not name it "ALTNEX". lol

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: Vertu on April 21, 2021, 01:10:26 PM
It's fine. I have considered such ideas of plagiarism risk but my general conclusion is... Nexious is too unique, too unusual, too complex, to be plagiarized without me directing it.

I also never intended to revive this game, it just had a level editor and simple mechanics I could work easily with unlike CW4 which covered genres too foreign to me. Particle Fleet has more unit based battling where as CW4 is more mathematics and entropy of the flowing of liquid and has no "enemies". Oh well. At least it means I am not a monopoly in Particle Fleet anymore which is actually preferred funny as it may be.

Though maybe not name it "ALTNEX". lol

Hey I'm bad at names so if you can think up a better name I'll change it over to something else

Edit: I already changed it myself. Better?