Mac 10.9.3 Game hangs on start-up

Started by der2050, June 29, 2014, 08:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

der2050

I am running a mac mini and have purchased the steam version of this game.

When i try to run the game the knuckle cracker logo comes up but never moves or goes beyond the initial splash page.

I am happy to provide any additional useful diagnostic info you would like.

I have reinstalled both the game and the unity player about 3 times.

Thanks in advance.

knucracker

Start by turning off the Steam overlay.  Right click the game in the steam client, then choose properties.

Next, look at the game's log after you start it.  The log location is here:
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=16476.0

der2050

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 53)

KQ: Error reading KQ:Interrupted system call

This was at the end and seems to be the important part.

I have attached the full log for you if you would like.

knucracker

The issue is actually back up in the log a bit.  There can sometime be a bunch of stuff dumped after the root problem.  The line that is probably indicative of the problem is:
"UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/Users/kittykat/.config/creeperworld3/" is denied."

For some reason the permissions on your .config directory are such that your steam client can't access it.  This means the game can't read and write to settings.  Bring up a terminal and type
cd ~
ls -al | less

Look for the ".config" dir and see if the permissions and ownership look right.  If you don't know what any of it means, just copy the whole line and paste it here.

In short, the directory needs to be accessible by your user as the game will try to create a creeperworld3 subdirectory underneath .config.  The game stores settings under ~/.config/creeperworld3 and if it can't access that dir, bad things happen.

der2050

drwxr-xr-x    4 root      staff    136 Jan 18 11:41 .config

That is what it says.

I know enough to understand the "words" but not really what it means, or how i would find or fix what could be wrong.

Thanks for all your help on this, this might eb the best form of tech support i can imagine for non-critical systems.

knucracker

I knew all of this seemed eerily familiar.  Read carefully from this post down.  Another person had the exact same problem...
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14244.msg103905#msg103905

In short, your .config is owned by the "root" user, but you are logged in as someone other than root (or the steam client is running as someone other than root).  The /Users/kittykat/.config dir should be owned by user "kittykat".  That's why the game can't access that dir.  The above posts will show you what to type at a command prompt to change the ownership to your user.  It will be this:

sudo chown YOUR_USER /Users/YOUR_USER/.config

Where YOUR_USER is kittykat.

What I don't know is why some OSX systems will have a user's .config dir owned by root.  Doesn't make much sense.  If some root running process originally created the .config that would explain it, but not sure what that might have been.  Is this a system you upgraded from an earlier version of OSX or a new system?  Also, are you using a new user account or one you have used for a long while?  The above command should fix your problem, I'm just curious about the origins of the issue.

der2050

You got it, like magic it works now, thanks for all the help!