80 Height Epidemic

Started by Fisherck, August 23, 2011, 10:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cclloyd9785

It can still be sensible.  My idea makes sense.

Think, if this is people's first time using the editor, they might not even see that option.  If it is at 40 by default that isn't too small or too big.  If you set it at 22 for the default, they will just find the option eventually and instantly expand it as big as it can go so they can have all the space they want.

Whereas if it is at 40, they will think they have enough space for now to leave it alone and not even worry about the size.

Fisherck

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 24, 2011, 10:25:36 AM
First of all it could be a good thing to set the default map height in the editor to 50 rows instead of 80.

Secondly I think the map shouldn't be filled with (normal) terrain, so map authors will have to start thinking from scratch. This may lead to more maps with the LS at a different starting position. Apart from that maps with more open space will be much more threatening and the map won't likely be beaten once the initial economy has been set up. The more terrain, the easier the map.
Quote from: Lord_Farin on August 25, 2011, 10:45:48 AM
I would say then the default height should be 22... The absence of scrolling if it isn't necessary is appealing to me.
Quote from: Lord_Farin on August 25, 2011, 10:45:48 AM
I would say then the default height should be 22... The absence of scrolling if it isn't necessary is appealing to me.

I think all of these would work. I also like UpperKEES idea of starting without terrain. I always erase when I start anyways. :P
But for map height, it might more more sense starting at the minimum height, instead of midway through. But I would be fine with either.

Quote from: thepenguin on August 25, 2011, 11:38:46 AM
Quote from: Grauniad on August 25, 2011, 11:16:41 AM
When sensible discussion dies out, but the thread lives on, a lock is pending.

+1, I beleive the discussion is over

You would think so. ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.