Custom Map: Nice Job 12: The Collector

Started by AutoPost, May 27, 2010, 11:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on May 28, 2010, 06:54:37 PM
It really mostly helps in that you don't need very many to clear the page, whereas you'd need more than 8 blasters to do that in under a minute (it only takes 4 mortars), although using the spare blasters to keep down the toughest emitters will still be needed. If you have enough spare blasters to clear it out in under a minute... I'm afraid I must question that.

Let's assume (for the ease of the conversation) that you're right about the number of mentioned weapons needed. Four mortars will take twice the time to build compared to 8 blasters, assuming enough energy is available (and that's what I have). Including charging the weapons this will even become a factor 3.

Like you said you'll still need some blasters to clear the last parts and to cap the emitters. After clearing the deepest parts the mortars become obsolete, while the blasters remain useful.

It is hard to compare all strategies, which is a good thing, because it means the game is complex and offers many options to complete a map. When we do compare however, we should also take to preparation time into account. And when we do that, we should also take the time into account to build up the energy collection, so actually we can only compare the times it took us to finish the map.

Because you would have liked to get your mortars earlier, I've altered the map and switched the speed tech with the mortar tech, so you'll be able to get it during early game (see attachment). Posting a score won't be possible, but you can always post a screeny when you improved your score drastically. If you do so, I would not only be very surprised, but will also keep this in mind when designing future maps.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Neilos

Struggled a wee bit with this one... got a bad start and only managed reactors, blasters and one upgrade, then took me at least ten minutes to even get back onto the book. 

Then spent ages working down page 1, but page 2 was much easier with a good infrastructure. 

UpperKEES

Well, you're supposed to struggle a bit this time.... ;) When I have a bad start (and that's often because I like to try various options), I just restart after 2 minutes. Ten minutes to get onto the book again is not so bad however, because at that time you've done half of the work. I think I also spend about 10 minutes in that corner (building up energy).

Miss Melissa

rough start indeed.
the second page is only easier if u remember to make mortars when u get em.  ;)
great map as usual.. keep em commin.

UpperKEES

Wow, nice score Melissa! :o You might have beaten mine with those mortars in place....

Thanks for playing again! :)

DethbyIT

Tough start, but fun run after it gets going.
Thank you for another great game.

dbit

UpperKEES

Oh! If you managed to beat this one, you should be able to finish The Explorer as well, because I think the start of this one is harder....

DethbyIT

Heh!
OK - but I'm on "The Prince" right now.

One suggestion for you - make a post in each of your "Custom Map Comment" strings telling n00b's how to vote.

I don't know how and I imagine many others don't either.

Good stuff!
dbit

UpperKEES

Nah, the voting is nice but not too important (although I like to see a good rating of course). People who have played a few of my maps and like them will know where to find the rest of them. Players who find them too hard will probably come back later when they've gained some more experience and are looking for a new challenge. I found that people either do like them and play a lot of them or they don't and never return. When I look for a nice map myself I rather look at the difficulty rating, the times that have been set and most important: the comments. So thank you for commenting on my maps! :)

snowmaker (JM)

I used a completely different tactic, guess it was a better one.  :D

UpperKEES

Nice! When replaying this one I won't use a very different tactic than before though, as I'm sure I will be able save more energy or obtain more techs due to the packet filter. For this map that makes quite a difference.