Mich's Computer Build

Started by Michionlion, January 03, 2014, 12:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

I hope to high heaven you did not test without attaching a cooler to the CPU. That's sure thermal death for the CPU. Modern CPUs have thermal protection, but they still will get to overheat in <1 second.  They just can't handle running without a heatsink or cooling of some sort.

After that, what Blaze said. Carefully recheck all wiring connections.

Then carefully recheck components that that are seated properly.

Remove the GPU and all but one stick of memory.

Remove all other components, including hard drives and see if you can run POST.

Your motherboard should have some POST status lights on it. See if you can find then and if they show a status code.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Michionlion

Ok, I got it working.  Turns out I forgot the CPU-PSU connection, as it wasn't one of the things in the motherboard manual.  Scared me for a second there!  Now I'm working on installing Windows 8.1.

EDIT: on the Windows website (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8-Pro-Upgrade-%E2%80%93-Student-Offer/productID.264954100), when a product is labeled 'upgrade' you would need to already have windows installed, correct?  Their wording is kinda confusing....
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Karsten75

Yes, upgrade means just that. You have to have a previous, qualifying version of Windows.  However, I know that in past versions of Windows *at elast in Win 7 and Vista) there was a way to use an upgrade version to do a full install. Don't recall exactly what the method was, though. And of course, you are only to use it as a time saver if you actually have the rights to the upgrade version. It is always a violation of your EULA to use the software under circumstances that you are not permitted.

Michionlion

Well, everything is set up now, mostly.  I went with Windows 8, and after using it for about an hour, I wouldn't say it is bad, however it is quite different from 7.  Personally, I like it.  Thank you all for your help, this was quite a gratifying experience!  Now on to them games!
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

And hopefully a benchmark...:P
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Michionlion

indeed.

EDIT: Not sure how to post the image like I did in the benchmark thread, but the score was 3787.7.  I have a feeling that the SSHD was used as a normal hard drive (without a caching test, or something), and nothing has been overclocked yet.
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

MadMag

Congrats with the new puter :)

Michionlion

Thanks MM.  It is quite awesome!
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!