Custom Map #58: GoodMorning, Planetfall. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, September 25, 2016, 01:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #58: GoodMorning, Planetfall

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 480x480

Desc:
Reclaim the planet; make sure it's 100% mired under your control.

Sorrontis

This map is rather long to beat, not because it is hard. It's a map that requires 100% mire.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

TheWife

I've heard from hubby there was a tool to make round patches of land in CW3. Did you adapt it for PF?

Also, the map is near the limit and the first one that seems to have pushed down the FPS a bit for us. :P

Sorrontis

Quote from: TheWife on September 25, 2016, 01:44:49 PM
I've heard from hubby there was a tool to make round patches of land in CW3. Did you adapt it for PF?

Also, the map is near the limit and the first one that seems to have pushed down the FPS a bit for us. :P

There was a tool (which I wrote back in CRPL), but Virgil saw to it to have a proper function called "SetLandBulk" I'm updating the wiki for it :) [Edit: http://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=prpl:docs:setlandbulk]

As for the FPS... I'm sorry?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

jaworeq

It's the first map that cause so called visual lag, so Frames Per Second dropped below 30.
Map seemed to be hard, till I built your lathe ship. I mean, double lathe is OP, but 6 just melts through everything. I pretty much took this ship around the map (counter-clockwise) and picked up every single objective without any other ships (I had defensive struc and energy cannon upgrades).
After that, whole middle was just a superlong cleanup. Too long for my liking, especially since it required some rough edges rock burning.

Sorrontis

Quote from: jaworeq on September 25, 2016, 02:48:21 PM
It's the first map that cause so called visual lag, so Frames Per Second dropped below 30.
Map seemed to be hard, till I built your lathe ship. I mean, double lathe is OP, but 6 just melts through everything. I pretty much took this ship around the map (counter-clockwise) and picked up every single objective without any other ships (I had defensive struc and energy cannon upgrades).
After that, whole middle was just a superlong cleanup. Too long for my liking, especially since it required some rough edges rock burning.

Not my best map, I'll agree.

TheWife

chwooly

Wow, That 100% mire is a pain in the "ay double ess" I had 1 spot that wasn't red but it was not mired blue so I couldnt win and it still showed as being 100% mired.

I had a small amount of lag on this one and I can see already that those that make maps will run into problems if they get over exuberant with particles, The good thing there is that since there is a limit on ships lag will be directly tied in to particles.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Sorrontis

I think there's a limit on the number of particles allowed (~6k)... from what I've seen. And yeah, the 100% mire is a pain. I had to beat the map 4 times, every time finding a single piece of land that was neutral or hidden red.

Next time, it's going to be 99 or 99.9% mired.

GoodMorning

It wasn't all that irritating... An Omni on each landmass, two where required.

While I didn't notice too much damage to the fps, I am using the same hardware for PF as I did for CW3, and so regularly have .5x speed enforced on certain maps. A back-of-the-envelope calculation based on the difference in fps between 1x and 4x suggests that a large amount of that is due to rendering, which large maps exacerbate. On the plus side, that helps me to improve my script efficiency.

99.9% would be a good default for the mire percentage.

I noticed that even Shelley couldn't take it in the middle. Perhaps a re-release with either a Ticon Defence or a powered, PRPL, "land incinerator" unit in the middle to help with the final miring?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 27, 2016, 10:09:01 PM
I noticed that even Shelley couldn't take it in the middle. Perhaps a re-release with either a Ticon Defence or a powered, PRPL, "land incinerator" unit in the middle to help with the final miring?

That would be pretty nice. But the lathe barge can eat through land itself, as long as it's supported.

GoodMorning

So can Omnis. I was thinking of a one-hit wonder which could burn a reasonable chunk of core out, to fit ships in.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Tjgalon

Not sure what I am doing wrong, the game says 100% been mire, I took over all nodes, and I am unable to lathe the middle node it seem, is there something missing?
Ok, I guess I needed to rock burn the tiny bit in the middle, and I won it

Sorrontis

Quote from: Tjgalon on September 29, 2016, 06:44:00 AM
Not sure what I am doing wrong, the game says 100% been mire, I took over all nodes, and I am unable to lathe the middle node it seem, is there something missing?
Ok, I guess I needed to rock burn the tiny bit in the middle, and I won it

Hey there, yeah, I don't like the 100% mire. If your missing a single pixel of land you can't win. It's the learning curve I guess :)