Custom Map: Bored To Death

Started by AutoPost, July 15, 2010, 02:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Bored To Death

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
I recommend this map only if you like very long fights, because it's boring! It features crazonium, high intensity emitters, Thor and a time limit; all things I don't like. Don't play it! If you do so anyway, you'll have 7 min. to prepare yourself.

Please rate this map with 1 star (see intro text).

F0R

i honestly dont see how this map is fun. I now truely understand.

UpperKEES

Title:
Bored To Death
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land & Air (but only as time limit)
Remarks:
I recommend this map only if you like very long fights, because it's boring! It features crazonium, high intensity emitters, Thor and a time limit; things I'm not very fond of myself. Don't play it! If you do so anyway, you'll have 7 minutes to prepare yourself....

Please rate this map with 1 star (see intro text why).

Description:
There I am, fallen asleep with my nose on the keyboard. I could actually be dead.

You know why? Because I just downloaded the most boring map ever and so did you. It features crazonium, Thor, many high intensity emitters and a time limit. People who know me a little bit will understand that this is not my kind of map, but some others seem to love it.

I even bought a pink MacBook to find out if I would like the crazonium better when it matched, but to no avail. Soon I will be drooling out of my mouth onto the laptop, so the slobber will start pouring out of the ventilation grilles and the DVD-player as well.

Please rate it with 1 star, because boring maps shouldn't be rated high, even if you are able to finish it or just survive. Don't give stars for the concept or graphics either please! Boring is boring. Comments are welcome of course, just like requests for hints how to survive. I won't give away how to complete it however and I kindly ask you not to do so at the forums either.

Are you able to finish a little faster than me so it won't be the map with the longest completion time ever? I sure hope you won't!

Download page:
Bored To Death
Full size screen shot:

Prefer an interesting map?
Try some of these! ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

This map is not part of any series and isn't representative for my other maps. It's the exact opposite of my style, so don't let this one scare you off. It's a statement against boring maps; play it and you'll understand. Or even better: don't play it, as I want this to be the map with the longest completion time (without the extensive use of decaying walls). If you dislike boring maps as well, please rate this map with 1 star! *

I won't be giving tips how to solve this one, but I have no problem helping you out how to survive if you can't figure that out. Posting about this or asking questions is no problem at all, but I would appreciate it when you don't post how you completed it if you managed to do so. Thanks in advance! :)

Quote from: F0R on July 15, 2010, 02:53:18 AM
i honestly dont see how this map is fun. I now truely understand.

Heheh, you're getting the point! Thanks for your 1 star. ;)

Sqaz

Wow, you managed to combine every irritating thing on a map, crazonium walls, 0.1 interval emitters, high intensity emitters, awful colors, bad totem placement,
and last but not least: a completely boring way to win the map.

So I only see three possibilities, you wanted just one *, the lowest score or have the only score on a map.

That's why I'm not only going to beat this map but also give it *****, mwahahaha!!!  :P

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on July 15, 2010, 03:40:17 AM
Wow, you managed to combine every irritating thing on a map, crazonium walls, 0.1 interval emitters, high intensity emitters, awful colors, bad totem placement,
and last but not least: a completely boring way to win the map.

Exactly how I intended. :) But hey, my shirt has a nice color! ;D

So I only see three possibilities, you wanted just one *, the lowest score or have the only score on a map.

All of these 3, plus the fact that I wanted to make a statement. And what better way to make a CW statement can you think of than making a CW map to illustrate it?

That's why I'm not only going to beat this map but also give it *****, mwahahaha!!!  :P

I can't stop you, but you're wasting your precious holidays! Go outside and enjoy the sun! I'm afraid it takes too much skill to be able to solve this map....

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 15, 2010, 03:51:10 AM
I can't stop you, but you're wasting your precious holidays! Go outside and enjoy the sun! I'm afraid it takes too much skill to be able to solve this map....

Only if with skill you mean a lot of patience  :D

UpperKEES

Yes, patience too. Boring and patience go hand in hand. My advise is: pause a lot to avoid mistakes!

RichieRich

I made it as far as 6 mins.

What a complete waste of 167 minutes, although I am impressed you made it past 166 and 2/3.

Sqaz

Veni, Vidi, Vic... Oh crap  >:(

Well, that was my reaction after playing this map, I spent almost three hours playing this map, finally got the artifact just before some spores landed.
Then I already started being happy, but then disaster struck, I forgot there was that totem (After three hours your mind isn't very clear anymore I guess), so I spent some time waiting for the rift, which hurt OC, then I saw the totem, moved the city to it, and it was loaded and I started saying Veni,... but then OC exploded as I forgot to fly it while the rift was being formed.

But, now I know this map is fully possible and everybody should be able to finish it, but I'm not going to waste another three hours on a map like this.

So, Kees you won and I'll give you your one *  ;D

UpperKEES

Quote from: RichieRich on July 15, 2010, 06:32:17 AM
I made it as far as 6 mins.

Don't tell me you die even before the walls break? :o

What a complete waste of 167 minutes

Hahaha! You can say that again! ;D I failed a few times myself, trying to set a time, so I wasted even more.... ;)

although I am impressed you made it past 166 and 2/3.

Yeah, I guess those hundreds -maybe even thousands- of hours of playing CW finally pay off. Not sure what you mean with '2/3' though.

Quote from: Sqaz on July 15, 2010, 08:08:04 AM
Veni, Vidi, Vic... Oh crap  >:(

Well, that was my reaction after playing this map, I spent almost three hours playing this map, finally got the artifact just before some spores landed.
Then I already started being happy, but then disaster struck, I forgot there was that totem (After three hours your mind isn't very clear anymore I guess), so I spent some time waiting for the rift, which hurt OC, then I saw the totem, moved the city to it, and it was loaded and I started saying Veni,... but then OC exploded as I forgot to fly it while the rift was being formed.

Heheh! Yeah, the venom is in the tail, as we say here in The Netherlands (and Belgium ;)). Never think you've made it until the money is in your pocket....

But, now I know this map is fully possible and everybody should be able to finish it, but I'm not going to waste another three hours on a map like this.

Exactly what I hoped for!  8)

Only too bad the same happened to The Artist and The Developer. You also started these (and even almost finished one of them), but never came to submitting a score. Now these maps are worth (re)playing!  :) It's actually been quite a while since I've seen a score by you for one of my maps. I just noticed you only finished 5 of them!  :o

So, Kees you won and I'll give you your one *  ;D

Thanks Sqaz! That's all I can ask for and all I deserve. :P

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 15, 2010, 09:30:52 AM
Only too bad the same happened to The Artist and The Developer. You also started these (and even almost finished one of them), but never came to submitting a score. Now these maps are worth (re)playing!  :) It's actually been quite a while since I've seen a score by you for one of my maps. I just noticed you only finished 5 of them!  :o

I think my attention span is to smal to replay maps, especially now it are holidays, so I tend to stop playing maps once I found out how to finish them, as I hate to fight after I found out how to stay alive as then it's just a matter of time (see my comments at NJ 1). But maybe I'll once do a NJ Marathon 25 NJ maps in a row but only when it's school again and my brains are used to work again.

But you made your statement on the boring maps, and that's good cause there seems to arrive a lot more of them lately.
There was a time when there was a stickied topic called "How to make good maps" or something made by Virgil, maybe this should be re-stickied  to help people to make fun, non-boring maps.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on July 15, 2010, 09:44:32 AM
I think my attention span is to smal to replay maps, especially now it are holidays, so I tend to stop playing maps once I found out how to finish them, as I hate to fight after I found out how to stay alive as then it's just a matter of time (see my comments at NJ 1). But maybe I'll once do a NJ Marathon 25 NJ maps in a row but only when it's school again and my brains are used to work again.

In that case I'd give some of the Nice Jobs you never played a try. Some of them can be finished very fast (before you have a chance to get bored) and for other the 'turning point' is postponed for quite a while. Not sure if I would be able to handle a full marathon; even I might become bored of my own maps. :P I think max 2-3 per day would be nicer and your school work won't suffer either.

Quote from: Sqaz on July 15, 2010, 09:44:32 AM
But you made your statement on the boring maps, and that's good cause there seems to arrive a lot more of them lately.
There was a time when there was a stickied topic called "How to make good maps" or something made by Virgil, maybe this should be re-stickied  to help people to make fun, non-boring maps.

Yeah, I noticed that too; hence this map.

Good point about that Map Making Guide. I remember now you mention it; it was really useful to new map makers (good considerations). It seems it was first moved and then deleted. ??? :( Virgil?

peter

HAHAHAHAHAHA  I looked, I saw, I ran away so fast I broke the sound barrier.

I don't know what makes me laugh more, that you made this map, or you spending all that time testing it then setting the score!  Either it has been raining there all day, or there was something unexpected in that breakfast you ate today at that cafĂ©.

SPIFFEN

Seems to be alot of waiting here , just waiting for the death =P
This is for sure the badest map ever made with all that work behind it =P
I awarded you with 1 *
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links