New way to use the game!!!

Started by TheBuilder, December 30, 2009, 09:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorgold

Quote from: Aurzel on December 30, 2009, 07:00:59 PM
give me a few minutes while i sort it and i'll edit it into this post

edit: ok here we go

a creeper world campaign with a meta map (for those not knowing what a meta map is think like the dawn of war series dark crusade/soulstorm, a meta map is a map, say a continent a world or even in this case several planets in a planetary system) what will happen is this map which will be drawn up and seperated into provinces will be filled with either player controlled, creeper controlled or neutral provinces
each province provides a bonus such as new tech or an upgrade, in this way several players can work together against a system wide invasion of creeper

say there are 5 players, each one will take a turn and secure a province, either by takeing a neutral one or by defeating the creeper and securing a creeper controlled one for humanity. at the end of all 5 players turns, the creeper takes a turn and makes (say 3 moves) in which it will invade new provinces while at the same time reinforcing all its already secured provinces

all players will begin with collectors and blasters and when a player secures say a province which has the relay tech then all players will now have access to relay tech, with the final map/s maybe even containing thor

each map will have certain victory conditions which go beyond simply activating totems such as maybe: the creeper has invaded your province, hold it off for 10 minutes
to maybe: cap the 5 creepers around the map to secure this province

obviously there will be an honour system involved since there's no way of keeping an eye on peoples progress, each time you invade a map or are invaded by creeper you play that map once, if you fulfil the objective you take the province/keep the creeper from taking it, if you lose you fail to capture the province/the creeper takes over your province
also a screenshot should be posted along with the results showing you either winning or losing the match (if the objective isnt to activate the totems you dont need to (e.g. if the objective is to survive for 10 minutes you need only post a screenshot of the map at the 10 minute marker to claim a win

obviously this will need both players and map makers as well as a GM (all of which should be seperate people to prevent bias)
the players need to make their move within a certain time frame (say a day) otherwise they forfeit their turn (or there can be a secondary player to take over) the map makers should be well versed in making many different types of maps and not take too long about it as they'll be required to make maps on the fly unless they want to sit around making many maps in a few days before the game begins while the GM makes sure everything runs smootly, keeps track of time limits and makes the creeper moves

(obviously this isnt everything and it needs refining but i fully believe we could make this work)
In keeping with your forum-based multiplayer (as I'm surmising you're suggesting), I think one good addition to difficulty would be time limit.

As more experienced players know, even difficult maps are easy once a certain strategy is learned specifically for that map: Rush the creeper, don't rush, use suicide mortars, drone swarms... endless. Each map has its own special tactic to use. Therefore, multiplayer games, at least on offense, would have to require either a ridiculously ramping difficulty (i.e. spore attacks that exponentially increase), new maps for every campaign, or a time limit for offense (clear the map in 10 minutes). The time limit and spore ramp could be justified in that "The Creeper has become aware of your threat, and has adjusted his attacks."

thomaswarner

Quote from: Kamron3 on December 31, 2009, 11:22:42 AM
I take that back, I would rather see something like this:

Two different players on the same map, connected via the internet.

Player 1 has blue creeper.
Player 2 has red creeper.

When these Creeper touch, they annihilate each other. The goal of the game is to over run your opponents "Odin City" with your Creeper. You can use turrets to attack the opponents Creeper and even attack your opponent's Turrets and City.

Also: If Creeper touches anything you own, even slightly(besides Odin city) it will explode immediately.

_k
I like this idea. I thought of an allied creeper, as well as many cw players, but it works better here.

Aurzel

i've said on multiple threads how multiplayer could work:
virgil has already suggested that he's worked on the idea of a building which creates your own creeper
creeper destroys enemy creeper as well as enemy buildings/turrets
turrets destroy enemy creeper
turrets more cost effective at destroying creeper but cant target enemy buildings so you need your own creeper to win

as for back on topic, i know it's foolhardy to think everyone will be trust worthy but i'd hope that for the fun of the experience the players would be people that we collectively agree on and hopefully the taking a screenie would eliminate most cheating apart from the 'only play the map once' bit

Jobran

What about something like this:

Player 1: Blue creeper
Player 2: Red creeper
Player 3: Odin city

and they fight each other, but two players can go together and kill the third or so.

Aurzel

how exactly will it be interesting to play as the creeper?
apart from maybe the emitters use energy so you adjust which emitters emit and how much they emit

Young

Quote from: Kamron3 on December 31, 2009, 11:11:08 AM
I don't know how multiplayer could ever fit into Creeper...

_k

Coop play. Would bring a lot of shine to Creeper world 2 if there was any.