You fight up

DethbyIT

Fun game - thanks.
I like my 9:11 score on 9/11.
dbit

Ebon Heart

Quote from: DethbyIT on September 11, 2011, 10:04:43 AM
I like my 9:11 score on 9/11.
And Irony strikes again! lol. I will agree, fun map. :P though I could do with a little less plain terrain between the pits. I'm really not sure this should have been 80 cells high. 40 could have done it with similar results, and less annoying empty space.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

MeanKitty

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I agree there could 'ave been less space, but this was my first map, so i din't know any better :P
"Can't This thing go any faster?"
"No, it's a diesel."

Sweetwater & Haggard, BBC2

Ebon Heart

:P I don't blame you. My first map, I made it 80 height, and started from the bottom and worked up. That's how the Super Collider was born... good times, good times. lol. (that thing was a beast, I never even finished it myself)

MeanKitty

I just realized i have the worst time on my own map, lol

btw, expect a new(smaller) map from me to be out by tommorow or tuesday
"No, it's a diesel."

Ebon Heart

lol, I've done that a few times. There are maps of mine I don't even have scores on. :P And make your next map only as big as it needs to be, or Fisherck will have your head! lol.

Fisherck

Quote from: Ebon Heart on September 11, 2011, 10:28:02 AM
lol, I've done that a few times. There are maps of mine I don't even have scores on. :P And make your next map only as big as it needs to be, or Fisherck will have your head! lol.
Yeah. You better watch out! ;)

Just joking. All you need to do is learn. Listen to the feedback of others. Every new map is an experiment. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

MeanKitty

My abnormaly small head, but still my head *stares at pic*
"No, it's a diesel."

DethbyIT

38 scores already!
That is some good play - especially on a first time map.
Way to go!

lich98

I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Cavemaniac

Nice  map - and you say it was your first!

I love playing other people's maps, but I've never made one myself.

I'm terrible at creating things - give me a blank sheet of paper and I'll just stare at it. But give me something to work with and I'll improve on it!

I've noticed time and again, people slamming a map for being too big.

It's a double edged sword - having room to spread out is great, but it tempts you into over-building.

It's down to the player how to use the space available - make an elegant installation in the space available. This means that there will be many different ways to win, with a huge variation in best scores/times.

A map with limited options means that everyone will be force to play it the same way.

As for long reaches, I find them a challenge - it's a matter of balancing power generation with packet speed and building beacons at the right time and place ('cos everything stops when you can't reach the next bit - and if it's stopped, your score is going down!).
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

mthw2vc

The issue with maps being too large is less one of it affecting gameplay and more one that it causes unnecessary lag on many computers due to how many more calculations are needed. I don't have a problem with a map giving the player more space then strictly necessary- Indeed, imposing that limitation on submitted maps would make the few that get through much, much harder for the average player. The issue comes when the mapmaker doesn't even seem to have considered reducing the size of the map from some value larger than needed, such as 20 cells of unused space below the last emitter/gateway that no player will need to use or worse yet, the map extending beyond a layer of undiggable terrain with no way to get past it. I disapprove only of the excess space that doesn't affect gameplay. This map would definitely not be a candidate for rejection IMO. While it would probably be more enjoyable to me if the spaces you need to traverse to begin the fight were smaller, as it slows the pace of the game, this is a matter of personal preference and a beginner may very much enjoy having so much space and time to prepare.